1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti Glare Coating

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mirage1, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirage1

mirage1 Member

Has anyone had the anti- glare coating applied to their glasses?
    Does it work and is it worth the $65.00??
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

Yes, also excellent on normal glasses for driving at night stops the headlight glare.

3. turbobike

turbobike Member

Do your homework, most of these coatings scratch very easily. Leaving your glasses annoying useless.

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Hate them. Hard to keep clean.

If you use the wrong cleaner the coating will start to degrade.

The last cleaning glasses bottle I purchased at Walmart said not to be used with glasses with that coating.

5. mirage1

mirage1 Member

6. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Had the coating and cleaned glasses with special cloth they furnished, coating still came off...Bill

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Waste of money. Wont stay on lenses.

8. mirage1

mirage1 Member

9. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

I've had no problem with the coating coming off and won't have glasses without it--60 with cataracts on the way. It really helps see something to focus on on the targets. My coating is guaranteed not to scratch for 2 years. I've had it done on CR39 lenses and Trivex lenses, but not Poly. That could make a difference?
    Dave

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I felt it helped. I had to get my prescription shooting glasses re-coated after a couple years. No big deal compared to all the other myriad costs associated with shooting Sporting! I have to laugh that people shooting a ten grand gun and driving a 60 grand SUV bitch over $75! How about a little sense of proportion?

When I went to contacts and plano lenses I dropped the coating for some reason. It really helps when you have scatter light coming from the sides and rear.

11. mirage1

mirage1 Member

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

To clean glasses I do this. First rinse the glasses off with water, to get all dust, and grit removed. Put a small drop of dish soap, on your fingers and rub together with your thumb. Rub the lens, pads, and rim of the lens with your clean fingers to get all oil, and sweat removed. Rinse under warm water. Then dry with a clean micro-fiber cloth. I think those cleaners are to strong, and degrade the coatings. Jon

13. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I won't have glasses without the anti-reflective coating. Been happy with it for almost 20 years. I clean just as Jon does.
    With reasonable care, the lenses don't scratch any easier than they would without the coating.
    I have the coating applied on BOTH side of the lenses for maximum effect.

14. mirage1

mirage1 Member

Does this anti- glare coating change the lense shade, especially
    if applied to both sides?

15. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

Have any of you found a lens color that helps with glare,
    Im post op cataract (both eyes) and headlight glare is a real problem
    I have my normal rx anti glare coated,but could use some more.
    Thanks
    Jim

16. thunder

thunder Active Member

I'm on my third pair of anti reflective High Index lenses. First pair was horrible and the eyeglass company replaced anti reflective coating no charge, still happened again within a few months.
    Next pair I got a Zeiss lens and coating, worked great but seemed to go away after about two years.
    My new pair has it and I got the lens at Costco optical, will have to see but the lenses are the clearest lens I have looked through. Also last night driving back in the dark I noticed the glare from headlights was not a factor. Will know about a year from now. Only wish I could get the high index lenses with all the coatings and tint for the 160.00 I paid for this pair at Costco.
    High Index is the lightest, thinnest and almost a must have for my prescription due to stigmatism for everyday use.
    I have been told by eye doctor's the lenses in shooting glasses is the least expensive plastic lenses made but work the best for overall shooters as their is less of a fish bowl effect than with polycabonate lens. Also was told that one lenses will sound like a poker chip when dropped on the glass counter vs the other will have a more hollow sound (don't remember which one polycabonate or standard plastic lens makes the poker chip sound). Also a standard plastic least expensive lens will chip compared to a polycabonate or High Index lens.
    I'm sure someone who knows more on lenses will chime in on the lens quality and benefits.

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think there are good and bad anti-glare coatings out there. I tried it once, so you have an idea of which type I got. When I showed my glasses to our optometrist, he refunded the money I paid for the coating and stopped selling it. He changed to another brand but I've resisted since that experience.

Ed

18. mirage1

mirage1 Member

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've bought them... supposed they've worked, but like others, even with the best efforts to baby the lenses, they still scratch and wear...

What about our eye balls or contacts?! I don't imagine we came with an AR coating or one is applied to those very soft pieces of "mush"...

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.