1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anti-fog solution?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

any recommendations? My oakley radars fog up pretty bad w/ high humidity...

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Decot Hy Wyds. The lenses are up off your face and have plenty of ventilation.

Other tricks include wiping the lense down with liquid soap or other treatments. None seem as reliable as getting the lense away from your face.

3. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Was in a conversation at a gun club, the subject was shooting in the rain. One shooter commended that Rain-X works great, so I got a bottle. I know it works great on windshields, have not hat a chance to try it on my shootings glasses.

With respect to the original comments about fogging. Rain_X may/may not work (???).

Frank

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Pull Bang,,,,BE REAL CAREFUL!!!! Rain X is designed for GLASS. Some guys who used it on motorcycle windshields had to replace them. Buy a cheap pair at the gas station and try first....

If you really want anti-fog,,,,stop in a scuba diving shop. The have several solutions that keep our masks from fogging up and are DESIGNED for plastic. Sometimes you can find some stuff at home shows, gun shows etc. that have the hocksters pushing some turquoise stuff and it works as well.

5. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Hey bigdogtx

Thanks for the info. I have several pairs of glasses with old prescription. I will test Rain-x om these.

Frank

6. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Get a bar of Ivory soap. Less than a buck. Put a small soap line on both sides of the lens and polish with a good paper towel (Viva, Bounty etc..) That should do it. It's worked for me for over 30 years on my Decots and fishing glasses as well as my daily wear and reading specs.

Bob

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You have to let air circulate around your lenses to cool them. If you use side blinders, if you have a "full" face and the glasses pushed up against your face and have your hat pulled down low, you're going to have a fog problem. There's more heat on the inside than outside and that causes fogging.

Eric

8. Need2Know

Need2Know TS Member

a little bit of baby shampoo wiped into the lenses and keeping the glasses a little off the face works fairly well.

9. Brad Metcalf

Brad Metcalf TS Member

A small bar of nutragena bar soap is the best I have found.

10. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Got some anti fogging solution from an eye doctor once. Same thing as scuba divers use. We used it on our eyeglasses and rifle scopes and it worked great. Bill

11. Need2Know

Need2Know TS Member

Anyone ever tried that Sea Gold Anti Fog stuff? It's made for scuba masks. Thinking bout trying some. Don't confuse it with Sea Bond though.

12. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Cat Crap

Don't leave home without it!!

FRedmon

13. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

any place that sells prescription glasses sells a anti fog cleaner. I used to get mine at pearl vision.

lee

14. larrycrismond

larrycrismond Member

In SE Florida it is hot and humid and fogging is frequently a problem. I bought some solution used on the inside of paintball masks and it works well. Hope this helps. Larry Crismond

15. ryvpete

ryvpete TS Member

I'll second the Cat Crap. I though it was a joke at first but it really works. Been using it for 3 years now. They could have picked a better name though!

Bust'em All!!

16. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Many anti-fog solutions contain just glycerin in an evaporating solvent. I just put a dab of drug store glycerin on my shooting glasses lenses or on my diving mask face plate and polish it until it disappears.

Another trick is to use Dawn dish detergent the same way. Liquid soaps are mostly water anyway. Polish a dab of Dawn onto the inside of anything you don't want to fog. When the water carrier evaporates, the surface is left with a coating that can re-absorb a small amount of water from the atmosphere instead of allowing it to condense on the lens.

Carol Lister

17. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"BE REAL CAREFUL!!!! Rain X is designed for GLASS."</blockquote> The substance now known as Rain-X is a polarized alcohol that was actually developed as a water repellent for use on the acrylic and polycarbonate (plastic) windshields used on commercial and military aircraft. It can actually cause stubborn water spots on safety glass if water is allowed to evaporate/dry from the glass and will cause windshield wiper blades to chatter once the windshield becomes partially dry. The active ingredient works much better on acrylic and polycarb than it does on soft glass.

I don't know how it will effect the plastic but don't use it on the inside of your shooting glasses. It's not intended as an anti-fog compound. Don't use it in dive masks or inside helmet face shields, either. In close proximity to your eyes, the alcohol base will make your eyes BURN... oh, you can just bet it will!!

Lister

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I wanted to try Cat Crap but I couldn't get the cat litter off it. Any hints?

19. gr8shot

gr8shot Member

this is what the guys i shoot with use. it is true that you have to have a positive air flow. this is a cleaner and anti fog agent. we tested this stuff by putting it on one lens only and digging out a basement under an existing house. the dust stuck on the untreated lens, but did not stick to the treated lens. sold me on it.

if you have any, any air flow at all, this stuff will work. it has worked for me for the last five years, and i am still on the same original bottle.

anyone interested can email me. each jar is 9.00 dollars, i pay shipping.

i have 8 left out of 100 i ordered this season, the first 8 emails gets em.

thanx.

steve.

20. racer

racer TS Member

Lanolin is the part of the soap that works for anti-fog. Any soap with lots of lanolin will work well. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what causes anti fog lenses to etch