1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Answers To Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimbob, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Questions about “Your Opinion” thread answers and
    Rules from the ATA rule book some people referenced:

Rule G 7 You guys know this…
    Should a trap be throwing targets that, although not necessarily
    illegal, appreciably vary from trap to trap, any shooter may request that management reset the trap even though prior squads have shot. The final decision as to whether or not a trap is to be reset will be made only by shoot management.
    However, no target is to be declared illegal unless it is significantly outside normal parameters (e.g., more than 10 degrees outside normal).

Two questions:
    1. If shooters request a target re-set on the very first and second traps, what are they basing their opinion on since they have not stood on the shooters line on traps further down the line to determine if the targets actually do vary appreciably? Yes, they can walk the line prior to shooting but is their super powers so well developed that they can judge targets from behind the 27 yd line?
    You guys say that “certain people” can look at targets and tell the future? You say that these same people can set targets by “eyeballing” them? That’s real good….. but what about all the degree measurements and other numbers set forth by the ATA or are those only for us lowly pilgrims?

2. Define “shoot management” OR leave it unwritten so some can have a loop hole so they can say “certain individuals” are shoot management and therefore can
    re-set targets. Who is “shoot management”?

Rule G 5 a
    For regular 16-yard Singles and Handicap sub-events,
    the Squad Leader may ask for one (1) target only.

What happens if this rule is broken?
    I didn’t know this was a rule and this was also done in the scenario. Had I known about the rule, I would have included this infraction.

2. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Quit pissin' in the wind. Anyone can ask for targets to be re-set anytime and yes, you can stand there and ask to see more targets if you think they don't look right.

3. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Good answer....for a non-reader. Somebody read CK the rules...

4. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

1. Yes, you are a lowly pilgrim. Deal with it.

2. Shoot management are those managing the shoot. Duh.

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

What's your problem?? You didn't get your targets reset when others did?? If you are willing to shoot bad targets that is your own fault. If you don't know who shoot management is then ask.

You obviously didn't like the opinions on the other thread so start another. I am afraid you will get the same answers. If you are looking for sympathy, forget it.

If a club refuses to adjust targets you then protest to shoot management and inform them you are leaving because of it. This happend to me last winter, shooters protested low targets for 3 days and shoot mgt wouldn't change, after shooters started packing up leaving they raised the targets on the last day to try and save the shoot and their Calcutta, sorry they failed over half the shooters had left including me.

Don

6. Hauser

Hauser Member

wild bill JP

I dont like the rule and think the sport would be better off if we focused on shooting legal targets rather than perfect targets. I dont like the rule not because it gives people an advantage, it doesn't, but because it slows down the shoot and waste money.

My suggestion to you is to focus on your shooting and don't worry about other people changing a trap.

Jerry Hauser

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

As you all no perfect targets do not exist, they are in the mind of each shooter. I cannot think of any club that is not willing to try and set targets as close as possible to ATA rules. With the proper equiptment and using ATA rules or PITA rules every club should be able to set acceptable targets. With that said JUST shoot them where they are going.

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

In response to Rule G5...Yes, I realize the squad leader can legally only call for only one target in singles & hdcp but if a second target is thrown when the squad leader calls out "Good Luck, Shooters" before calling for his first bird, so be it. I haven't been censured or disqualified for the practice, yet. Another reason I like shooting station 1...with friends.

Big Jack

9. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Big Jack, thank you so much. Your response is a perfect example of how vague rules like the afore mentioned, are subject to so many different interpretations. People take advantage of vague rules in situations when it benefits them. The vagueness of the rules allow for a shooter like in your example to say ” I was just telling the squad to have good luck”.
    Anyway, after all of the responses, I get it. I Understand perfectly. Shooters can have the targets set the way they want them without regard to stated ATA guidelines and rules. This is good to know…. Later.... Oh and BTW Terry, it is 2:14. Is it OK that I'm posting on here at this time?

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Since you just won't accept others opinions WB-----I'll say it again, this time without the diplomacy?

Just because YOU are dumb enuf' to stand there banging away at --WAY too high--> targets is no reason why everybody else should follow suit.

War's over---you lost---get over it

John C. Saubak

11. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Old John...Cowboy....Saubak... bud, I said in my last post:

"Anyway, after all of the responses, I get it. I Understand perfectly. Shooters can have the targets set the way they want without regard to stated ATA guidelines and rules. This is good to know…. Later...."

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

wild bill JP I happen to agree with you on this one. I do not very often say anything against ATA rule. I don't always agree with them but they are all that we have.

Let me now clarify my position on this subject. I receive the ATA e-newsletter Post One in the last one that I received there were up dares on the rule changes for the new target year. This is one statement in the newsletter " The Rulebook will incorporate target speed specifications which will substantially duplicate the present flight distance rules (as presently contained there) ... the correct way to use radar guns and chronographs to measure target speed.

Why do the clubs need further rules on target setting when any Tom, Dick, or Harry can come along and say I don't like the way these targets look and I want them reset. According to the rulebook he is within the rules to ask and receive the change. With that being said why should the club bend over backwards setting targets according to the incorporated target speed specifications when two squads into the program a squad can change the specifications by asking for a reset? I am sorry it does not make any sense to me nor to many of the people that are setting the targets.

Bob Lawless

13. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Now that makes sense to me, but now wait a minute. It has been recently established within this discussion board that just as you said, any Tom, Dick or Harry CAN and should be granted a target reset any time they want. Furthermore, it has been established within these threads that some people possess super powers that allow them to set targets by the "eyeballing" method. This rule/method is discussed on page, ah, wait, ah, I forget but anyway, I want my chance to have targets set just the way I want. We won't need a stick or anything-- just my eyes. Now that's funny too....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.