1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another yardage question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pilotdan, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pilotdan

pilotdan Member

I last shot registered targets in 2011 (100 targets) and only 200 targets in 2010. My last yardage was 26.5 . Never received any kind of reduction in 2012-13 because I did not renew membership.

If I join this year, what would my current yardage be?
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

3. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

26.5 yards. Then you will have to shoot 1000 targets and be 'reviewed'.

I laid off for 27 years. Started at the same Singles classification and same Handicap I had when I left off. After 600/600 I am on the verge of going up 1 class in Singles and it is inevitable that I get another yard before the 1000 target review. I am shooting a slightly higher Hcp average than when I left off and am consistently winning yardage group with scores just 1 and sometimes 2 shy of the mandatory punch score. Winning Singles class. I know my ability and know it would not have been fair to use the 27 years off as an excuse to make things less difficult for myself. In the end -I- would have known that I had cheated. Both myself and the other shooters by doing that. Did I shoot those first 200 targets well? Nope. Did I play the options? Yep. Won Lewis money the first crack out of the box and have either won or placed every time I have shot since. Competition against myself and shooting with and against better shooters than myself while playing the pots turned a decent shooter into a slightly better than decent shooter. I ain't one of the Big Dogs but I darn sure don't need to squat to pee like that little puppy does. I get to raise my leg against that Fire Plug, just not as high as those Bigger Dogs.

I am just having a lot of fun and at the same time renewing friendships with folks from long ago and sometimes with their children and even grandchildren who are now shooting. All that fun and losing 30 + pounds too. What better way to spend my retired life?

Hope you can make it to the 27. It is a good place to be.

Don T. Littleton CO

4. pilotdan

pilotdan Member

Thanks guys. That's what I thought.
    Regards, Dan

5. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I'm a Life member. I was 27 yards when I took about 8 years off to do other stuff. When I came back it wasn't pretty, my average was in the mid 80's. I did shoot well over 1000 Registered HCP targets with 2 ideas in mind. One, I needed the practice, and two, I felt I needed just a little reduction to become competitive again. When I finally called ATA and asked if I had a "review", and if I did, why no reduction, I was told I also needed 500 singles Targets. By then I was just starting to shoot some fair scores so it all worked out.

But to directly answer you question... I believe if you stop being a member, and "come back", you will be at the same yardage you used to be. You don't start again as a new member on the 20 yard line!!!

6. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Shooter R.

That is correct. Direct from the lady at ATA, Kathy Key ( and the rule book of course ). After a lapse you start from where you left off. No matter how long it has been. A poor youth that got hot at 16 - 20 and won a bunch of punches then lays off to go to college/work/whatever and then resumes in his/her 30's or 40's has to pay the same dues as everyone else to either be reduced or to start winning again.

Don T. Littleton CO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.