1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another wad question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I ran out of TGT12 wads for my 1 ounce loads. So I just reloaded several boxes of 1 ounce shells using the Figure 8 wad. I could not tell the difference in the appearance of the completed shell. The crimps were good. I load STS hulls using 17.5 grains of Red Dot powder. I am in the process of ordering wads. My question is why should I order 2 different types of wads when one will do the job? Although the Figure 8's are for 1 1/8 oz. loads; why can't a person use this wad for 1 oz. loads if the shell turns out ok ?? Is there a perfomance issue that I am not aware of? I could understand there might be a problem loading 1 1/8 oz loads using a 1 oz wad; as the shot would overfill the cup. However this will not happen if you use the 1 1/8 oz wads. Thanks. Ed

2. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

When I load Win AA HS hulls I get better looking reloads for 1 oz loads when I use 1-1/8 oz wads. The 7/8 oz loads also load great in Win AA HS hulls while using the Win AA 1 oz pink wad. On the Rem STS hulls I use 1 oz wads for 1 oz loads and 7/8 oz wads for 7/8 oz loads. About 3 years ago Mike at Duster Wads told me it was safe to use a 1-1/8 wad to load 1 oz loads as long as you use the 1-1/8 oz loading data for the wad you are using.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shot a box and see how they perform. HMB

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Ed,

I would say that Red Dot is a bulky enough powder to get away with it, I have never loaded Red Dot so I can't say first hand. Since the weight of the two wads are close enough that the guys at Hodgden say that they can be interchanged with out any pressure problems. Try out a few and see if you encounter any problem. If you don't, load some more. Anything to simplify reloading is always a plus!

As far as using a 1oz wad for 1 1/8oz loads, I have to do this all the time. The powder that I shoot is so dense that I have to use a 1 oz wad. It seems to make no difference to the pattern, in my gun, whether the shot is fully contained in the cup. I know that people will disagree with what I said, but that is life.

ec90t

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The performance of the load is entirely dependent on the crimp, assuming the recipe is normal. TGT and F-8 should be ballistically identical.

Same goes for AA pattern wads.

I use whatever wad gives me a good crimp, and adjust my loader to do so.

I do not like to fill 12 guage shells any higher than a half inch below the mouth.

Works for me.

HM

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If the wad is seated on the powder and you have a good crimp then all is okay. If I had to only have one Wad , give me the TGT-12 and thats all I use. Jeff

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Remember that there is some setback of the shot during ignition, so the payload can "overflow" the shot cup a little without detracting from the pattern because it winds up in the cup as it starts its journey down the barrel.

Just in case anyone else is thinking the same thing, I've asked two wad manufacturers just how much setback occurs but neither were able to answer the question.

Ed

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I bought a case of the cloned TGT-12's and I can't wait to use them up. The shot cup is shorter and without the stitching some pedals fold over. You get what you pay for. Jeff

9. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

If you go to the Alliant website, you will see that there's many loads in both the 1oz and 11/8oz sections that use the Red Dot/Fig 8 combination in Rem STS hulls. Shooting them will be your best bet. Confidence in what you shoot makes or breaks a load, David.

10. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Thats all I load.

1 oz with Fig 8 wad 18.3 grains of Solo 1000, cheddite primer, in a Win AA hull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.