1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another UPS "Stupid Story"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DB Bill, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

The UPS Hubs here in Southern California won't take firearms from an individual for shipment --- despite the fact that it's legal and UPS Regs acknowledge it, the folks at the counter are adamant.

My story, however, isn't about shipping a firearm but rather ammunition. I had ordered some custom rifle ammo from Arizona and when it arrived it wasn't what I'd ordered so I took it to the UPS hub about 15 miles away and sent it back the same way I'd received it -- by next day service. Cost me about $20.

The next day the UPS truck stops at my house and the UPS driver asks me to sign for a package and as I signed I noticed it was the package I'd sent to Arizona, I showed him the label etc showing I was the sender and not the addressee. We called the hub and got the run around so I drove down to the hub where the manager ask me why I was upset after all he said "we made next day delivery didn't we?" I told him to look at the label as I sent it to an address in Arizona and not myself. He looked at it and confusion covered his face --- and then he ask if I'd addressed it correctly. I suggested we talk to the next level of cretin who after about an hour of trying to explain they'd delivered in the next day as promisted a light went in over his head and he told me it must have come back because you can't ship ammo via UPS so I showed him the original box the ammo came in -- that was clearly marked with the live ammo code -- and accused me of trying to sneak ammo onto an airplane.

I felt my IQ dropping so I finally said let's just ship it by Ground UPS which we did -- I then ask him for a refund of the money I spent trying to ship by air --- and I got the "we delivered it the next day" speech. I left before my brain started to turn to mush.

I called UPS HQ the next day (I'm hard-headed and love punishment) and talked to a service rep (HA HA) who give me the same speech so I ask her since I'd insyred the package for $200 I wanted to make a claim as it had never arrived in Arizona on the first try. She thought about it for about 10 seconds and said "we didn't deliver it to Arizona, we returned it to you" and I said your choice, pay me for the first shipment or pay me for losing the ammo.

I got my refund in about a week. For as little $$$ as was involved I'd wasted much to much time but there's a certain point UPS passed that I couln'd let loose. My wife thought I was an idiot and my son's just looked at me and smiled.

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Another UPS

Lotta stories out there Bill. I do the FedEx for folks. And mostly drop off the packages at my local Office Max. I just bring in the boxes, walk thru the half swinging doors entering the customer service area and plop the boxes on a designated counter. And leave. Verks Ollie.

No questions asked either and no wife debating my IQ.

3. letts

letts TS Member

Another UPS

Fedex likes to deliver to my office at lunch hour when we are closed. UPS has never done that. Guess who I prefer?

Letts

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Another UPS

I prefer USPS for everything. Regardless, of the bad rap they sometimes receive.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Another UPS

Depending upon who I ship to, I ask for their recommendation for the very reason mentione above... some services deliver in off hours to a given destination... but I've posted before about issues I've had at both "counters"...

Once, I had to re-educate a UPS manager at their Westmont Depot about their policies on guns and ammunition...

Another time I had to call from my car to (800) FedEx, while sitting in a parking lot outside their Aurora IL World Ship Center because an employee refused to insure a FedEx Ground package more than $100 for a shotgun going to a gunsmith... I had to have the call re-routed back to the depot and had to speak to a supervisor who in turn connected me to the depot general manager...

That moment was priceless, as I walked back in and the Depot Manager met me and relieved the counter employee and processed the transaction herself as the counter employee steamed...

You were right to demand satisfaction - time can be money, but you would've been PO'd for quite a while...

best regards all,

Jay

6. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Another UPS

I had a similar problem with FedEx and insurance. I was shipping a custom built 1917 Buick engine block to Californicrazy, from Michigan. Worth about $8000.00 dollars. I packaged it in a plywood box. Total weight less than 60 pounds. Morons didn't want to insure it because an engine block has to weigh more than that. Mind you it was a custom built aluminum block. After about a half hour of bickering the branch manager wanted me to open the crate. I said only if you are going to pay me to recrate it. Make a long story short, they finally shipped it --- insured. Pain in the butt!

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Another UPS

I've read most of this thread. Reminds me why: 1. I like to ship from Fed-Ex or an independent agent for UPS or Fed Ex. 2. My local UPS guy is great, he is very helpful. But those of us in this 'hood are lucky for that. 3. I am surprised that the incompetent get hired during these tough economic times; news to me...4. Fed Ex Local Hub has also been great. 5. UPS hubs have been a pain.

So...Fed Ex is my first choice; deliveries from UPS and the local guy have been professional

Bottom line: "It is the law of the luck of the draw" I'm guessing.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Another UPS

I guess I should count myself lucky, I've had good luck with the local Fedex and UPS hubs, as well as USPS, and almost everyone I've ever interacted with at all 3 has been congenial and helpful. Only issue was refusal to ship a firearm the very first time I tried to at my local PO, cleared it up w/ the Postmaster, and it's never been an issue since.

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Another UPS

Guys a little commonm sense goes a long way here. It is the crooks and scam artists that have created many of the issues you guys explain here. The stories the delivery guys can tell are much more extreme than anything you guys can dream up. Like crating an 8000.00 engine block that is already cracked and then having a claim filed when it reaches the destination because it is damaged. The clerk wanted to inspect it for a reason. Not everyone is on the up and up. And even UPS hates to pay a 8000.00 bogus claim. And shipping ammo on a commercial airline may be a federal offense. Some of you guys need to think before typing. Laws are made by the government that UPS and Fed Ex have to follow yet the welfare delivery service known as USPS does not have to follow the same ones.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Another UPS

My frustration stems from the fact that a segment of employees are poorly trained on their own rules and procedures. I have no problem with a random pre-ship inspection... just help me wrap it back up...

But if the rules say I can insure a ground shipment up to $"x", then don't tell me I can't... OR if rules say I can ship a long gun "ground", don't tell me I have to pay for "air" when I can show the rules in B&W...

There may be problems with scam artists... so require all packages over a certain threshold to be examined before shipment, to qualify for insurance... ultimately, I should have to prove the fair value at the time of claim...

best regards all,

Jay

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Another UPS

Its not the money, its not the time but the point. You did the right thing. Hell I would have done the same thing. You did good.

12. Argentina

Argentina TS Member

Another UPS

Wow, imagine if the USPS was as dumb as UPS and FED-Ex......they probably would learn how to operate efficiently and make a .....are your ready...god forbid....A PROFIT...

Who would you rather work for a SMART Government agency like the USPS that can't make a profit or one of the dumb private delivery services like UPS and Fed-Ex that manage even with all the stupid employees they have to be profitable year in and year out.

You would think that with all the STUPID FED-EX and UPS employees nationwide that customers would be declining their services and running to the USPS, and with all this new business that USPS would be making a profit...I can assure you that is not happening.

Fed-Ex and UPS both make a profit every year and its due to both of them doing a good overall job delivering packages, and retaining customers year in and year out.

Every company in America has Stupid employees working for them at some point, but in the Private Sector unlike government jobs, that Stupid employee, usually sooner rather than later, gets the opportunity to go work for some other unsupecting employer.

I say THANK GOD for UPS and FED-EX.

13. Argentina

Argentina TS Member

Another UPS

Wow, imagine if the USPS was as dumb as UPS and FED-Ex......they probably would learn how to operate efficiently and make a .....are your ready...god forbid....A PROFIT...

Who would you rather work for a SMART Government agency like the USPS that can't make a profit or one of the dumb private delivery services like UPS and Fed-Ex that manage even with all the stupid employees they have to be profitable year in and year out.

You would think that with all the STUPID FED-EX and UPS employees nationwide that customers would be declining their services and running to the USPS, and with all this new business that USPS would be making a profit...I can assure you that is not happening.

Fed-Ex and UPS both make a profit every year and its due to both of them doing a good overall job delivering packages, and retaining customers year in and year out.

Every company in America has Stupid employees working for them at some point, but in the Private Sector unlike government jobs, that Stupid employee, usually sooner rather than later, gets the opportunity to go work for some other unsupecting employer.

I say THANK GOD for UPS and FED-EX.

14. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Another UPS

Maybe we should get the TSA involved? lol Jim

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Another UPS

Argentina, I'm sure you have seen the video's of both Fed ex and UPS dropping throwing peoples packages on porches and over the fence. I did for a short time work for UPS and it was a joke. My first day I watched people load and unload trucks by throwing the boxes and they didn't care if it said glass or fragile. THEY DIDN'T CARE. The co also treated the workers like trash. The one I worked at was the top of the line hub when it was built but now its out dated by 20 years. They have no plans to improve it any time soon. Now that I have seen how they treat packages I pack my thing very well so they don't get damaged. In other words I over pack for that reason.

If you Google UPS gun theft you will see they have a BIG problem with people inside stealing from UPS. I think it was around the Great Lakes some people had stolen in time over 700 guns. In all UPS hubs theft is a problem. All they have to do is have a roll of lables in their pocket and see something come by them and stick a lable over the address and have it sent to where they want it.

UPS needs to worry about their house before worrying about any others houses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.