1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another UPS story

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Barker, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Went to UPS termianl yesterday to ship one gun and one empty case. Was told by person behind the counter not only was the UPS Stores not accepting guns to ship, but the company as a whole was only accepting guns that were shipped from a license holder to a license holder. I have been using USPS for the last two years, but in this instance the buyer of the gun requeseted UPS.

Now I have two more I want to ship and was planning to use UPS, because of the size of the boxes. These guns do not breakdown and I might run into a problem with the packages being oversided. Will do my research, and let you know what I find. I am going to try to find out if this is a new UPS policy or if employee did not know what they were talking about.

Am going to look into using FedEx. Anyone used FedEx? Any prolems? What about cost comparision?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Same as ray, fedex all the way. The only thing thats EVER cheaper is packages less than a lb and letters, which go USPS. The only time I ever ship UPS if i'm billing to the receiver and I have their account #, then they pay for it.

3. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Fedex by far cheaper. Had to send a bow to FL for warranty work. UPS was $74, Fedex was $27. Exact insurance and packing. Still can't figure that one out.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'll turn you guys on to my best shipping resource.

http://www.shippingsidekick.com/getrates.wml

Plug in all the necessary info, hit go, and you can see the time-in-transit, and cost for all the services for UPS, USPS, and Fedex. It's been spot on for every fedex transaction i've ever run, usually shows just a touch high on USPS, and I don't use it for UPS enough to notice.

5. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have tried all 3 and now only ship FedEx.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Skeetman. My UPS driver is going to hate you! I'm blaming you!

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Shipping Firearms - UPS

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment

UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state),

and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Rick Barker

"Went to UPS terminal yesterday to ship one gun and one empty case. Was told by person behind the counter not only was the UPS Stores not accepting guns"

Not being critical here but you say in your two sentences that you went to the terminal. Then you say ups stores not accepting guns.

I ask because one of the local malls has a UPS Store they will not ship guns. About 10 miles beyond this store there is a UPS shipping terminal they will ship guns or almost anything else. They the store won't because of the mall the mall doesn't want guns on the property.

So I am just telling you what they have told me.

Bob Lawless

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bob, it reads to me that he went to the terminal, the terminal refused, and the terminal said that in addition to the privately owned UPS franchises not accepting guns, the terminals now were not accepting them either. The sentence is not real clear but that's how I read it.

10. hose 'em down

hose 'em down Active Member

Ran into the sameo BS from the Mesa, AZ UPS terminal a week ago........."ya can't ship guns unles betweeen FFL holders". They gave me the photocopy of what they rely on, as Joe Potosky stated above, to justify their stance. The area of the regs mentioning "...importers, manufacturers, dealers, law enforcement..." was highlighted. Both gals were really adamant that I, since not being licensed and Art's not being in their data base as a dealer, they would not accept ship my shotgun for repair. When I pointed out that I WAS one of the "...not otherwise prohibited persons..." (ya gotta read all the reg), they finally reviewed the regs, looked dumbstruck at eah other and finally acquiesed; but this time only.

There is nothing harder to change than a clerk's attitude and interpretation of their "rules". A bit of irritated patience got me what I needed but since I'm an ex-FFL holder........I knew the regs.

Cost me $27 regular ground, with no insurance other than the $100 provided by UPS to each shipment. Took one week from drop off to delivery and I could watch the transit progress vis UPS's website. I'm OK with UPS except for the gals at the Mesa hub and I blame their training, not them.

Ernie

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Calling a supervisor can get things straightened out. And if the supervisor is full of it too, ask for the next supervisor. It's infuriating when people make up rules they pull out of their... uh... hat.

12. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I've used FedEx to ship my stocks to have work done on them. The whole transaction went fine both times. J

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use Fed Ex, cheaper always and never a prob

14. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Life is to short to have to deal with a hassle shipping a gun. Bag your UPS connection and head to your nearest FedEx.

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Just went to our rural UPS Store. Shipped a shotgun for repair. Told them it was a shotgun for repair. They never blinked. slapped on the shipping label, told me how much and off it went.

Jim

Michigan

16. Rick Barker

ivanhoe, I'll use simple sentences for those who don't understand.

I have been told by two UPS stores that they cannot accept guns for shipment.

I went to the terminal here in Denver about two years ago and managed to get a gun shipped.

I went to the same terminal yesterday and was told
    a. Not only could the stores not accept shipments, but
    b. UPS was only accepting shipments from FFL dealers to FFL dealers.

Now having worked in interstate commerce as my main career, I can tell you common carriers are obligated to accept any lawful shipment that is authorized within their certificate to transport. Joe Potosky cited the their obligations as I understand them, and these shipment were well within the law.

It looks like hose 'em down (Erine) ran into the same line I did.

Bob.....I thought you said you would never reply to one of my threads again.
    I thought you would be unable to keep your promise.

17. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

In The last 10 weeks I have shipped 6 Model 21's & 30 guns down in value. I have a Fedex account # & use them,dropping the package off at a shop that has a FE pick-up. I only ship cheaper guns that way. For instance,yesterday,27# & $600 value cost me $27 to go 2000 miles. I sent FIVE Model 42's,3 prewar,in one box 2000 miles,42#,value $8800. Cost was $87. This was by the USPS Registered Mail. I use USPS registered mail for the most valuable. 2 Model 21's & 1 extra bbl. Value $16,800. Cost me about $60. All are AT LEAST double boxed & things like the 21's are triple boxed. A K-80 in an Americase & a plywood box cost $60 Weighted 35#.
    If to have a valuable item,buy some 1x4 & cheap 1/4" ply & box it. Better to pay $20 more than have an unpayed claim. Bottom line Get a free account & use Fedex for lesser $$ & USPS Registered for pricey. RIA,the biggest gun auction house uses Fedex a lot. What does that say??

18. bonehead101

bonehead101 Member

I am a feeder driver for 27 years. Went to my hub to ship a rifle told me only ffl to ffl. I spoke to a manager he said thats the new rule.I felt funny standing in line at fedex with my browns on.

19. Rick Barker

bonehead101............how long ago was that?

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

always best to the one armed with the facts. print the damn thing out and hand it to them..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.