1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Tremor...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Recoil Sissy, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

this note has been edited for corrections:

Following this morning's 5.2 magnitude earthquake at 4:37 am and centered in West Salem, IL., the midwest experienced another tremor just now (about 10:14 am CDST.)

sissy

2. Illini bird

Illini bird TS Member

sissy where did you hear that at? Larry

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

We felt it too. My wife thought someone was knocking on the window.

4. Recoil Sissy

this note has been edited for corrections

illini bird:

The original was a 5.2 this morning at 4:37am. I'm guessing the one at 10:14 am was an aftershock. There were a couple of 2.X magnitude aftershocks that I didn't feel. I haven't hear anything official on the 10:14 am aftershock yet.

Note: West Salem, IL. is about 130 miles mostly east of Sparta and 265 miles due south of Chicago.

5. Illini bird

Illini bird TS Member

Sissy I found it!! 4.2 in New sallem 2 hit about 10:14 Felt it here. Been on the radio here talking about the eartquake site > IRIS < tells all in sec. Had to go to Ind. quake to find mag. Thanks There not done yet? Larry

6. Recoil Sissy

illini bird:

The USGS site lists quakes using something called 'Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)'. The site lists the original West Salem event as a 5.2 magnitude quake at 9:37 UTC. 9:37 UTC is apparently the same as 4:37 am Central Daylight Savings Time. Times for the other shakes can be determined accordingly.

I assume the following are all aftershocks:

magnitude time

2.5 10:03 UTC

2.5 10:15 UTC

2.6 11:55 UTC

4.5 15:14 UTC

I was sound asleep during the original and didn't feel the others. The tremor at 10:14 am rattled the windows and activated my personal quake detector which is the part of me which contacts the seat of a chair.

sissy

7. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

West Salem is my hometown, parents still live there. It's located about 15 miles west of the state line with Indiana and about 30 miles north of Interstate 64.

There is also a town called Salem, Illinois that is located nearly due west of West Salem right on Interstate 57.

New Salem is near Springfield, Illinois.

West Salem got it's name from the people who settled the town who were from Salem, South Carolina (might be North Carolina, can't remember for sure). Settled by members of the Moravian religion. Very few Moravian churches in this country.

Scott Calhoun

8. samples

samples Member

SISSY-- The address that you gave me www.shakeup.Il.Jax.Gov. for further information about the quakes does not register on the web site. What is going on? What I have found is that this is a secure web site that was developed by, comonly known members in the international governmental circles as GREEN BOULDERS. This can only be accessed by Green Boulder members, WHICH IS a clandestine group who monitors inner earth core security and safety at a top level covert operations task force. Till Later Sissy, this is Green Pebbles III signing OVER/OUT!

9. Recoil Sissy

samples:

Huffing paint causes permanent brain damage.

sissy

PS: When 'the boys' found out I gave you their web site address, they put me on super secret probabation. One more screw up and I lose my clandestine privileges.

10. samples

samples Member

Sissy-- what color paint is the one really bad for you?? Commander Fitz has been assessing damage control at the local schools and institutions here in Town and has been in contact with the "Boys" in control at GREEN BOULDERS. He has "smoothed" things over with the boys and they have removed you from super secret to only secret probation. Be careful though, your phone as well as the computer may be monitored for future liability purposes.-- Later-- Green Pebbles III.

11. wm rike

wm rike Member

Ohio has an excellent seismic network. This link addresses this morning's quake.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/ohioseis/earthquakes/080418IL/tabid/20167/Default.aspx

12. chessney

chessney TS Member

Did anyone or cars fall in a crack like the movie Earthquake?...ziggy I also felt a tremor in my house when my wife fell on her ass getting out of the tub!!!!

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I was just walking into the bathroom this morning when I started to hear it and then felt the house shake. I looked at my Timex and it was 4:37. I did not feel any of the aftershocks and I understand a couple of them were pretty powerful also. I just hope this isn't the precursor to the big one they say is way overdue on the New Madrid fault that goes up the Mississippi River. Dan

14. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Another LA, Seattle or Anchorage in the makeing? Never really thought og earthquakes in the midwest and I lived back there when I was younger for awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.