1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Trapshooting Icon passes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by CBone, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBone

CBone TS Member

Bob Thompson, 82, passed away this morning in Largo, Florida. Bob, a long time trapshooter and sporting goods store owner in Columbus, In. was a past president of the Indiana Trapshooters Association. He is also a member of the Indiana Trapshooting Hall of Fame. Locally, Bob managed Columbus Gun Club for many years. His wife, Mary Sue, his family and many friends will miss him greatly.
    Glen Euler

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

Another "giant" of Indiana trapshooting passes. My sympathy goes out to all his family and friends.

Please keep us updated on any arrangements you might know.

Mark

3. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

I will miss him,As a shooter and as a friend,He truly loved the game of trapshooting.

4. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

condolences extended to the entire family from david and amy walp. I am sorry for their loss. Bob was one of nicest guys I have ever met in the trapshooting sport. he will be missed by all.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

This hurts to hear. Bob, or "Swami" as his friends knew him, was a wonderful man. I will miss him. It just won't be the same without Swam.

Mary Sue, you have my deepest condolences. Please accept the prayers of a grateful trapshooting community.

Everybody in southern Indiana...I mean everybody...has Swami stories to tell.

I had a funny one from one of the first times I ever shot with him at Columbus Gun Club. Bob was a gun dealer, and one of his claims to fame was that you almost never saw him shooting the same gun two weeks in a row (I honestly think the business was just a way of justifying his gun trading habit to the IRS!). Anyway, I showed up for league one night, and he was shooting a nice Perazzi TMX. He's to my left, shooting long yardage (this was remarkable in itself, as he had macular degeneration in later years, but could still hit targets surprisingly well). All of a sudden, BOOM...he cuts loose with a reload that stunned all of us on the squad. It either had to have been an obstruction, a double charge or more likely both? He staggered back, opened the gun, and that barrel was "ringed" or bulged bigger than you know what. And you know what? In typical Bob fashion, he shrugged his shoulders, and just kept on shooting it. He shot that thing that way for I don't know how long. And here I am, freaking out shooting next to him, because I'm new there, and I'm like "Who the HELL is this cracker shooting next to me, is he going to kill me or what?" Looking back on it, he turned out to be a good shooting friend and I can laugh about it now.

He will be missed!

6. MS

MS TS Member

The girls and I will be planning and Memorial Service for Bob in Columbus in April around the middle of the month. Cindy and Missy arrived in Florida this afternoon and Bertie was here with me when Bob died.

I will post the date and time a couple of weeks in advance on Trapshooters.com as well as put it in the The Republic and Indianapolis Star.

He had complications following knee surgery and went into renal failure last week and died this morning about 10:00am.

For all of those who know us well, please know that he didn't want tears but a Celebration when he died, so we won't be having a conventional funeral. A memorial service and with food and fellowship to follow.

He was a wonderful father, and we were husband and wife for almost 30 years.

He was looking forward to watching his grandsons Jake (ie Robert Jacob Smith and Danny Smith, shoot the Florida State Shoot in a couple weeks but this was not to be. He'll be watching from someplace else.

Thank for your kind words and prayers the girls and I appreciate it greatly.

MS

7. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Mary Sue and the family...

It will be a sad day come Tueday of the state shoot knowing the great Swami will not be around. I believe Bob was serving as President of the ITA when I started shooting. A great guy and a good friend to all trapshooters. It will be hard not seeing him next to the grandkids chomping on his cigar.

Best wished -- and as always, if there is anything we can do to help, don't hesitate to contact us.

John Voliva

8. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

9. Janet

Janet TS Member

Deepest sympathy to family and friends from Ohio.

Janet CJ

10. MS

MS TS Member

We are planning a Memorial for Bob at the Club House at Bay Ranch Mobile Home Park in Largo, Florida on Friday March 21, 2008 at 10:00am.

We have a lot of friends here at Bay Ranch, as well as our Trapshooting Friends. So if you are at the Dollar shooting or live there the girls and I would love for you to attend.

Mary Sue

11. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Mary sue, You and your family are in my prayers. Roland King

12. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

bump again for Mary Sue and the rest of the family

13. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Mary Sue,
    I am so sorry to hear of Bob's passing. I always enjoyed stopping by to chat with both of you at Polk County and at the Florida Chain Shoots. I know we , the trapshooting community, will all miss Bob.

Charlie Becknell
    Lexington,KY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.