1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Toyota recall!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by short shucker, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Check this out. Oh what a feeling.

TOKYO (AP) -- Toyota started a global recall over engine defects in its Lexus and Crown models, moving to repair more than 95,000 vehicles in Japan and South Korea over the latest trouble for the automaker beset with quality problems.

Toyota Motor Corp. had said Friday that 270,000 cars worldwide would be recalled to replace valve springs, crucial engine components that are flawed in the recalled vehicles and could make them stall while in motion.

The world's top automaker informed the Japanese government of the recall in that country Monday, and other countries were to follow. South Korea's Transport Ministry said Tuesday that 3,704 vehicles would be recalled there.

The total includes 138,000 vehicles in the U.S., 91,903 in Japan, 15,000 in Europe, 10,000 in the Middle East, 6,000 in China, 4,000 in Canada, and 8,000 elsewhere.

"We apologize for inconveniencing our customers. We hope to fix the problem soon," company spokesman Paul Nolasco said in a statement.

Toyota has received about 200 complaints, but no accidents due to the defects have been reported. Officials have blamed the problem on a foreign substance being introduced during manufacturing of the valve springs.

Toyota said it is replacing the valve spring in the recalled vehicles, produced between July 2005 and August 2008 -- Lexus models GS350, GS450h, GS460, IS350, LS460, LS600h, LS600hL and Crown models. Vehicles from the 2009 and 2010 model years are not affected.

The quality problem affecting top-of-the-line products comes as Toyota struggles to move on from massive global recalls that started in October. More than 8.5 million vehicles already have been recalled for various problems, including sticking gas pedals, braking software glitches and defective floor mats.

The world's top automaker was fined a record $16.4 million in the United States for responding too slowly when the recall crisis erupted.

The latest woes come on top of a recall last week for 17,000 Lexus hybrids after testing showed fuel can spill during a rear-end crash. Analysts say the latest recalls do little to instill consumer confidence after Toyota President Akio Toyoda apologized to shareholders last month and vowed to improve vehicle quality inspections.

"It is not doing a good job in communicating a message about what exactly it is doing to beef up quality checks," said Shotaro Noguchi, auto analyst with Nomura Securities Co. in Tokyo. "So it is hard for people to believe Toyota is taking the customer's view as it is promising to do."

Toyota faces more than 200 lawsuits in the U.S. tied to accidents involving defective automobiles, the lower resale value of Toyota vehicles, and a drop in its stock value. The company's overall sales have been hurting this year following its safety-related recalls. Toyota has been trying to boost U.S. sales with deep promotions, including zero-percent financing and free maintenance.

The Tokyo market reacted with calm to Toyota's recall news. Toyota shares gained 0.5 percent to finish at 3,035 yen.

Associated Press Writer Sangwon Yoon contributed to this report from Seoul

ss

2. Donm

Donm Active Member

Gee hasn't any of the US auto makers ever had a recall? Why is it such a big deal when Toyota has a recall and when GM recalls a couple of million vehicles no one ever posts that on this site. And by the way both vehicles I own are US.

3. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

If you want to put the most Americans to work I believe US news and World report ran an article in the recent past. Top 3 were Toyota's and Honda's. I believe 15 of the top 20 were non GM, Ford, Chrysler. The average non union autoworker makes more per/hour than the UAW employees, however the embedded cost of the UAW workers is MUCH higher?? Wonder who gets the difference??

4. neofight

neofight TS Member

Hey! Not fair. I just took my Duramax in for it's second recall, this time for something far more serious than those silly sticky throttles on the Toyotas. I now have to suffer the shame and humiliation of not having a heater for my washer fluid. Oh, the humanity of it all. We GM owners want equal time in the press when it comes to recalls.Grrrrrrrrrrr!!

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Check this out -- Toyota isn't on welfare at the cost of US taxpayers. Oh what a feeling ...it would be to not have shameless GM dirtbags taking a piece of every one of our paychecks.

-Gary

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    When is GM going to recall engines for their defective pistons that rattle and break skirts?

Oh, wait, they won't. They're telling owners to take a hike.

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

When people in this country put a stop to our taxpayer monies bailing out corporate and union greed we will start to see improvements in the quality of products produced cause the safty net will be gone. GM and Chrysler should have gone by the wayside so the companies that actually produce quality products without handouts could flourish. No other industry has been so poorly managed and given more taxpayer money yet they still produce chit. Buy Ford,Toyota,Nissan and Honda and let the chit float on down the sewer.

8. Donm

Donm Active Member

Neofight. The problem with the washer heater wasn't that it wouldn't work but the fact they were catching on fire.

9. charlie01

charlie01 TS Member

Like's to shoot, I think your right, some people are quick to bash American companies's. Some of which helped build this country. Anybody remember a few years back when I believe it was maybe Honda, Nissan and Toyota, that had the odometers that were calibrated to put on more miles than what was actually correct. That would make the car look like it get's better gas mileage than it actually does, plus it would run your warranty out quicker.

10. Donm

Donm Active Member

Charlie01. We had a Honda at the time. They extended the warranty and the extended warranty by a bigger percentage than the percentage the odometer was off. I always check the odometer in my cars and mine wasn't off at all or if it was it wasn't noticeable. I have yet to have an american car that was any closer. And when the extended warranty ran out at 127,000 I still hadn't used it. I have yet to have a American vehicle get to 100K and not have some kind of trouble.

I have two 2010 Ford products now and we will see how they turn out.

Likes-to-shoot. Do you think Ford, GM or Chrysler sell anything in Japan or any place in Asia? How about Europe? Who pays the taxes on those? Oh and where do you put the billions of dollars GM got from us. Was that a subsidy or a birthday present?

11. capvan

capvan Active Member

Just went thru a Toyota recall on my '01 Tundra. Recall was to replace the straps holding the gas tank. While replacing the straps, they punched a hole in the tank and told me I had to buy a new tank. $700 later, I got my truck back. When I complained, they said "Sucks being you". Called Toyota directly and got much the same response...

Bummer

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

"Just went thru a Toyota recall on my '01 Tundra. Recall was to replace the straps holding the gas tank. While replacing the straps, they punched a hole in the tank and told me I had to buy a new tank. $700 later, I got my truck back. When I complained, they said "Sucks being you". Called Toyota directly and got much the same response.."

Oh what a feeling!

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If nothing else, I'd be filing in small claims court over that one.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Likes-to-shoot:

Why so nasty? For your information, I AM "US manufacturing" and make my living at it every day, as I have for decades. What I "hate" are the companies, slacker workers, and politicians that are ruining any chance we have to regain/maintain our position as the world's manufacturing leader.

Go ahead and drive your GM junk if you want, and defend them like a mindless drone as they import their cars and export our jobs. I did that for 30 years, so I understand the affliction.

-Gary

15. oz

oz Active Member

I guess nobody remembers the exploding pinto's (ford) that was fixed with a plastic shield on the rear end. oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.