1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ANOTHER THEORY FOR GUN EXPLOSIONS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Alno, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alno

Alno TS Member

Some of these powders are shipped by boat from Australia and elsewhere, travel by truck, and are handled by UPS package throwers. Some grinding occurs, smaller particles and explosive dust are created; they settle to the bottom of the powder keg. Some selective grinding may occur such that TNT or the like is concentrated in or on the smaller particles of powder at the bottom of the keg. Are these reloads which are in the guns when they explode loaded from the bottom of the kegs? Should we be rotating the powder kegs when we first receive them to redistribute the smaller particles and afford a homogeneous even burning mixture?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The powder is part of the problem. HMB

3. Alno

Alno TS Member

Just the powder grains or flakes rubbing against each other would cause friction and the creation of finer dust particles. Just like a box of Cheerios, they are all round Cheerios when first put in the box, but by the time you get to the bottom of the box there is an excess of fine particles with a different taste and texture.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I won't discount your fine particle theory but I also haven't noticed fine powder coming out of the bottom of my kegs of CLAYS. Then again we are talking about a one in a hundred million event.

5. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Alno ,

Are you aware that the earth vibrates?

Nonetheless, I keep my powder supplies off the reloading bench, to prevent deterioration due to vibration, caused by reloading bench activity.

Of course, perhaps I'm just too obsessive-compulsive.

Thank you,
    Longshooter

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

This explains my cereal bowl blowing up.

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

maybe this explains why some people are fat!!!...they are always eating the bottom of the cereal boxes!!

tony

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

NHSC

Grain dust is very explosive. You best be careful and have plenty of milk in your bowl.

Don Verna

9. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Do Fulls shoot fool chokes?

10. Alno

Alno TS Member

Actually, DVerna, grain dust is explosive. Haven't you ever heard of a grain silo exploding?

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Well if Alno's theory is plausible maybe this one is too.

Antigunners are slipping a small amount of antimatter into a few random powder jugs. If even a tiny piece of antimatter happens to go into your shotgun shell and you fire it in a high priced shotgun, KABOOOOOM. They are targeting trapshooters because they know how technically oriented we are and are more likely to quit buying guns based on internet reports.

I found a report about this on a secret internet site which I will only divulge to ts.com. The site is www.climatecrisis.net/thescience/ please do not share this information with anyone without classification.

Full disclosure: I am using a natural form of Mentoplasty while submitting this report.

12. Alno

Alno TS Member

Don't tell me SBExpress that you are working in the basement of the White House where you are employed to put out false and misleading misinformation so that the lawmakers think all trap shooter are a bunch of wackos?

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This is not drivel. I would accept this as fact because I have seen the same thing.

Powder is coated with a retardant in order to get the proper burn rate, as a matter of fact it is not known for sure till a closed bomb test gives results.

Then if the burn rate is proper for Green dot, the green taggants are put in and it's packaged. (Or so I'm told)

An old shooter I knew wpuld always roll his kegs around on the floor to get an even distribution of the fine particles before using a new keg.

Once a guy brought in some rifle shells he had loaded, using good data, and he kept getting blown primers, sticky bolt release, and other abnormal pressure indications.

come to find out, he had "cleaned up" the rouds in his vibe tumbler and the powder became much faster burning as a result.

So yes, to me this is a plausible theory that needs investigation.

I hate to let the high dollar Mfg boys off the hook, though.

HM

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Will someone please..........please make the earth stop vibrating.....

Thank you!

Hauxfan!

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Powder flake size can affect the burning rate. A smaller flake has a greater surface area / volume ratio. I seriously doubt that the broken flakes near the bottom of a jug would have any significant affect on chamber pressure.

Dust is explosive, but only when suspended in air, not inside a shell. And, the dust we see when pouring powder is primarily the graphite that is added to the surface of the powder.

Pat Ireland

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

HM, I know many reloaders, and I've heard that even commercial reloaders, who tumble their loaded ammo to get the bullet wax etc off and none have blown anyone up yet. I stick by my earlier theory.

OOPs wait a minute seems like I remember many WW2 pilots fighter pilots complaining that their 50 cal ammo was blowing up, maybe there is something to the shaking because riding in the wing of a Hellcat is a helluva shakey thing. Maybe we have one who is a member of ts.com that can chime in?

17. Alno

Alno TS Member

Mr. Hauxfan,
    I can understand your consternation. I haven't noticed any vibration myself but the constant spinning has become annoying. BTW: If the TNT is absorbed onto activated carbon or graphite, it probably only is absorbed onto the outermost surface layers which would be chafed away first. You know: this all started at about the same time that episodes of MAGNUM-PI started to not make any sense and to have no plot or coherent story-line.

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

Alno,

I know - that is why you have to get milk on that Cheerios dust or all hell could break loose!!!

Good God man, I shoot trap but that doesn't make me stupid.

It was a joke son.

Don Verna

PS: Post your name. Otherwise I will consider you a low down dirty Troll.

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Do all powders contain TNT? Someone needs to look at the MSDS materials that the powder companies were FORCED to provide ON DEMAND. Maybe a "similar" sounding compound, but TNT seems absent in all of the ones I've looked at. Maybe someone making the claim that TNT is a component of smokeless powders, could specify just what powders contain TNT, and what bearing that has on anything?

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Double base smokeless powder contains about 50% nitroglycerin. The other major ingredient in smokeless powder is nitrocellulose. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.