1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Target Problem<---Damp or Wet Targets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ANTRIM UDF, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Or they are throwing Bio AA`s, those things are UGLY. Whattaya gonna do?

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Whether ya inkspot them and smoke-em or the just chunk in half it still counts as a broken bird ... or does it not count as a broken bird?

3. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Confidence is built on smoking the target, not chunking it. When you chunk it, your subconcious is saying, "whoa, I almost missed that one!" Then low and behold, you miss.

When you smoke a target, your subconcious is saying, "Ya Hoo, I obliterated that one, I am right on the target today! I am going to do that to everyone of 'em, one at a time!" Then, low and behold, you run the event.

chris

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Drew- Damp targets do seem softer to me but that might be an incorrect perception. Targets are primarily pitch and limestone. The limestone will absorb water but the pitch may prevent the contact between water and the limestone. I will pick up a few targets this weekend and weigh them dry. Then I will weigh them again after sitting a day or so in damp towels. Any weight gain must come from the water.

Pat Ireland

5. smp005

smp005 Member

I've never seen any issue with how White Flyer targets fly or break if they are damp... What I HAVE seen is with our PAT traps if there is dampness in between the targets they will tend to stick together (like there is a slight vacuum) and not set down on the elevator correctly thus causing lots of broken targets (not a good thing!)

Needless to say, we are very careful not to allow our targets to get wet - it costs us money and frustrates the shooters......

Scott Powell
    Copley Trap Range

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Drew... The myth of damp targets is really just that: A myth. A standard pitch target will not draw enough moisture in a "damp" enviroment to have a really great effect on the way the target breaks, in most cases. If the targets get really WET, ie; totally soaked, there may be some problems, especially if they sit for quite a while before being used, but that is a rare situation. The targets you were shooting were more than likely the newer White Flyer Bio-degradable targets, if they were, indeed, White Flyers. Those targets break exactly as you described and do look to be more red than orange. A direct hit on a bio looks like you shot a dirt clod. The ones I have seen also seem to be a bit heavier than the standard pitch targets, but not readily noticably so. If, on the other hand, you were shooting Northwest targets, your observations may have more merit. I have yet to see any three Northwest targets that weighed the same, and on one occasion, I once shot at a club where the Northwest targets were so soft it appeared as though you could almost bend them with your fingers. We actually picked up targets that did not break that had more than 5 holes in them. In all fairness to Northwest, that was several years ago and Tim may have improved his target composition since then....Just my experience..Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I might add this. Our club sits right on the Humboldt Bay and we have a teriffic amount of moist air here during the fall and winter. We really don't have any problems with our targets (White Flyers) but, we do have a de-humidifier going 24/7 in our target van just as a preventitive measure. We also try to offer our visiting shooters the very best possible target for their money we can provide. We have had some that really got wet and sat for a while and they were a problem, especially with the paint running off the targets and causing some of the targets to stick together...Dan

8. smp005

smp005 Member

I was at Glen Coe Conservation club a couple of weeks ago at a Leo Harrison clinic. They throw Lowry targets - Bio-Degradeables. I noticed two things: the Bio targets puffed orange smoke while White Flyers smoke black smoke and I thought they seemed a little harder than the White Flyers (of course it was 25 deg outside..). I didn't mind them and if you're on them, they puff like all targets...

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

It is my opinion that the "new style" targets do not smoke as well as the targets of about two years ago. I think the target manufacturers have changed their recipie.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

10. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

You may find that a wet target will not spin. It comes out flat or non rotating and is difficult to break. Michael

11. crew

crew TS Member

Drew.. I was at that shoot Saturday and couldn't return sunday because of work. I go to that club once a year I think in the past they used Bio's and that's probably what we were shooting. I didn't notice a problem Saturday but in the past it seemed they were hard to break,I seen one good shooter put a tighter choke in his gun during the HC last year. I just shot in Easternwash. the week before and there the targets smoke more. I would just as soon not be shooting the Bio target but they seemed to break good for me saturday I don't know if they improved them or they were dryer or I was shooting faster. Wayne

12. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Drew,

I was at this shoot also. The targets seemed to have a little more red in the color than some. I liked the color very well. I thought I could see the target a little clearer against the tree background. As far as being harder to break, I shot light 8's from the 25 and when I did my part the targets broke just as well as at Poulsbo. I've quit looking for excuses for missed targets and am consentrating on the reason, which is always something I had control over.

Shoot well,

Tomas

13. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

1. For the guy who says targets don't draw moisture to cause a problem you are wrong. I use to set trap and targets then and now do draw moisture and it does make a difference.

2. As for the color there were some bad batches of targets that didn't get enough paint on them from the factory.

3. As for smoking the target some of that goes to what the target is made from. The old targets with more pitch would turn black. The new bios some turn a white and some other colors.

4. You will find at some of the clubs that they do not properly maintain their trap machines and the rubber is wore out, causing the target not to have the proper spin. When you hit a target the force of the spin cause the target to fly apart. If you shoot at a club that is throwing a dead target you will have more missed birds. You may hit them like the guy is talking about above and when you go out you will find holes in those targets.

5. If the rubber on the trap arm is taken care of and if you ruff it up with sand paper it will grip the target and put more spin on it. If you ever shot on the old hand set western traps you would notice that you have better breaks because of the spin.

There is more to setting targets that just setting the height and the distance. That is what alot of clubs miss.

I feel one of the biggest problems out there today is that clubs fail to maintaing their automatic traps. If they did they would have less target breakage, better targets which in turn with a positive attitude by the club would draw more shooters. My feelings are if a club doen't care why should you care to shoot there.

I like to shoot at new places and meet new people, but one of the things I always try to check out is what type of machines are they using and are the targets set. If targets suck, why go back, it is a waste of my time and money to shoot bad targets.

14. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

mastergunner
    Well stated, I agree. RG

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The targets that I'm most familiar with: Midwest's and White Flyer's are both affected in color when they get wet. They turn darker and is an instant verification that they have gotten wet. When we see them we ask for a change of targets as we believe that they may be both heavier and changed in bulk density.

According to the rules you don't have to shoot them since they are appreciably different looking to dry targets.

16. AJJ

AJJ TS Member

Dr Longshot, Caldwell Targets are made in Vancouver, British Columbia. No target smokes like a Caldwell. AJ.

17. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Well, Just my HO..but we had a trap fill to the bottom of the trap with water just last year. The targets in that house were removed and dryed on top of another trap in the sun and the wind just a few days later. When we took the boxes out of the wet trap, we had to be very carefull as the boxes were pretty much gone. We took those targets and put them on a Pat and threw all that came out of the wet house. They flew the same and broke the same as the dry birds, the only difference being the color had faded some. Not enough to throw 40 cases out the door. Now if they draw water as some would suggest, I would think that they would have taken much longer to dry than they did. We were reboxing all most as fast as we were putting them out.

As I said....JMHO

Rickyd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.