1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ANOTHER SHOTSHELL BALLISTIC QUESTION

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by vvosen, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vvosen

vvosen TS Member

We shoot #7 steel reloaded at around 1265 FPS at our club in Naperville and I wondered if Ed Lowry's program has info on the ballistics of this that would allow someone to equate this to a lead pellet size and velocity.

I'm guessing the ballistics are close to shooting #9 lead at a similar velocity.

Thanks,

Vic Vosen

2. obfd13

obfd13 Member

It may not answer your specific question, but here's a link that provides some good shotgun ballistics.

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/shotgun_statistics.pdf

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

A good deal more than a nine, Vic, but somewhat less than an eight-and-a-half.

8 1/2 = 73

9 = 56

#7 steel = 68, all in ft pounds of energy.

All at 40 yards.

Neil

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The decimal places should be shifted two places to the left in the figures listed above for retained energy. The figures given are approximate and represent 1/100ths of a foot-pound of energy. I'm not at all sure you would survive firing a shell from your shoulder that produced 73 ft/lbs of energy 3' from the muzzle. I am most definitely sure I am not going to try it.

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

ZZT, a 22 hornet produces more than 700 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. A 375 H&H mag is over 4000 ft lbs.

Jim

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

...but the decimal points should be moved, just as zzt says. The relationships, however, are unchanged.

Neil

7. vvosen

vvosen TS Member

Thanks much for the answer Neil. We shoot a dove with 1 oz of #7 Steel and some of the stations are 40+ yards. This makes me feel a little better about the lost targets.

Vic Vosen

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

But Vic - how much better?!

Neil Winston - I am contemplating trying to develop an ATA program for our range and steel ammo shooters. We had been given verbal assurances previously that #7 steel would be OK for use at the range, but available "target" ammo ranges from 1300-1365 FPS.

Based upon the previous comments and the shot media environment, could the ATA consider approving and publishing some better guidelines for alternative shot materials like steel, to give better guidance for those clubs required to or so inclined to shoot alternative shot media?

Thanks for your consideration,

Jay Spitz

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jim 101, LOL, I was thinking 73 ft/lb of energy PER PELLET as Neil wrote. That's 73 ft/lb times 551 pellets for 40,223 ft/lb total for the 1 1/8oz load. I don't care who you are, that has GOT to HURT! And it will probably launch you (or at least part of you) into the next county. Yooowl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.