1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another screwy ATA rule

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by perga1, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Received my reduction in the mail yesterday, 1/2 yard to the 24 from the 24-1/2. Couldn't believe it so I called. The exceptionally nice Kathy Key explained that the 500 16yd. targets that I had shot this year yielded a 97 average and I could not be reduced below 24 yds. I asked, probably not as nicely as I could have, what about the 3700 singles I shot in the previous target year and the 95.95 average that yielded. What about the fact that 200 of the 500 this year were 95 and 96. Doesn't matter she said the three 98's were the reason. Does this make any sense? 3700 last year plus another 200 this year that were A average and the 300 targets rule. If singles are any indication of handicap ability why aren't our handicap yardages just set by our singles average? Almost forgot; I refused a 1 yard reduction in March at the start of our state shoot. That is why I was so surprised I got a 1/2 yard reduction after shooting another 1,000 targets well below the trigger point. After 20 years in this game I sometimes wonder why. JRM

2. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Were you looking for a punch back towards the 27?

Augie

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

No, I was actually looking for the full yard since I haven't shot a really good score in over 13 months. I anticipated a full yard reduction since I had already refused it in March. Also in anticipation of the full yard, knowing my average was 86 I presquaded for the Grand at 23-1/2. Does anyone know what happens with that? JRM

4. bas

bas Member

I have to admit, I hadn't heard of 1/2 yd reductions. Re the Grand, 23 or 24 - probably won't make any difference. If it does present a problem, you can get resquadded. When you get classified and in the system, just go to squadding and see if you are "ok".

5. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

You were the victim of one of the "ant-sandbagger" unwritten rules.

6. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

perga1:

You was the one that messed up to begin with you should had took the reduction the first time and as you said you have been shooting bad for 13 months so why wouldn't you take the first one then if you start shooting better then you would gain it right back.

maybe they figured you was going to turn this one down also and they figured well just give him a 1/2 this time.

Also have you ever been on the 27 yard line if so then the 24 is as close as you can get I was told unless the special catagory's over rides it like a vet and others.

Just let the A.T.A. send me another reduction and I will make sure that they don't waste their time or postage by sending it to me, im sure I have shot enough to get one off but don't see it a happening since I used to be on the 27 years ago but hey I will take the half so I will be on the even yardage.

I guess a lot don't like to take reductions but if you are like most of the week end shooters then it's hard enough to compete with the every day trapshooter that goes from one to another shoot all the time I thought it was called handicap so that means some needs a little edge against some of the better shooters.

Foghorn

7. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

I doubt that your pre-squadding for the Grand will be affected. You're talking a yard. They'll probably squad you with 22, 23 or 24 yard shooters based on your estimate of 23.5. When you get there and handicap, the cashier will change you from 23.5 to 24.5 but it probably will be OK on your pre-squad. Look at the bright side. You're shooting from yardage you're used to.

Augie

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

If you were on the 24-1/2 and got a half yd. reductuion, you are still shooting from the 24 so your squadding won't be affected. I got a 1/2 yd. reduction this year also. My previous 98 at the Grand a couple of years ago got me codded so I will have to shoot from this yardage for a while longer. That's Ok I guess. I try to brak e'm where ever. Haven't gotten the hang of it yet, but sooner or later, I figure I'll either get it or eventually get reduced. Just part of the game.

9. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Foggy, never been to the 27. When I had the eyes and endurance I didn't have the time or money to shoot enough to make it. What bothered me the most was that I had squadded with people I know from New England and one of them was on the 21.5 last I knew which meant I would have to re-squad. I just made a phone call and to my surprise that shooter got a yard and is now on the 22.5 so the separation still works. I just wonder what will happen when they do the pre-squadding and see I am on the 24 instead of the 23.5. Will the computer allow the pre-squad if a different yardage appears in the computer and on the pre-squad form? I still think it's a disconnect from logic to restrict yardage based on 16 yard averages. JRM

10. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Your yardage will be the latest handicapper entry. If your friend is on the 22 and you are on the 24 rather than 23....no problem. It's the entry made by the Handicapper that counts...not what you said it would be. If there is a large discrepancy and someone needs to resquad, it will be you.

Augie

11. kolarkim

kolarkim Member

correct me if I am wrong but isnt this the "pureified average" rule thats been on the books for years?

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It's not a screwy rule, but it sure worked screwy in your case, Jim. If you had only shot 400 this year you would have gotten the yard reduction!

If I were you, I'd write my State Delegate and explain your situation. He can ask for a special review and I think, if I were he, I would pass it on to the CHC with a recommendation that you get that half-yard off as well. Special reviews are intended for just such strange outcomes as this.

Neil

13. zinger

zinger Member

Why would you presquad at a yardage that you weren't on in the first place? Are you not planning on shooting anymore until the Grand? I'm puzzled...

14. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Niel, thanks for the suggestion. I don't believe that your singles average in any way correlates to your ability to break targets in handicap. Perhaps when you are new to the game and your shooting is improving in singles it will also be improving in handicap but when you have shot thousands of targets in each discipline they become different games. In handicap we gain yardage based on wins/score and get reductions based on the lack of wins/score. Then there is this other variable thrown in that only applies to reductions, why is that? It seems screwy to me.
    Zinger, I had not shot a really good score in more than 13 months and yes I did not plan to shoot any more handicap once the pre-squadding went in which was about 3 weeks ago. At the time of the pre squad I didn't know that the shortest yardage shooter had received a punch and I really wanted to shoot with old friends from back home so I went with what I expected. Presumptious, yes I suppose it was. My bad. JRM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.