1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Savage shotgun blows up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TOOLMAKER 251, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

At the annual Collegeville, Pa. Bacon shoot yesterday a Savage O/U blew up. Top barrel flew to the trap house, bottom barrel which was still locked into the gun had a split open chamber area, shell which was also split open was still in the chamber. The side of the receiver blew off and hit the adjacent shooter in the stomach which only caused a bruise. The usual loud boom and the gun owner had broke the prior target. The shell was a reload, don't know what brand shell yet.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

We are getting an unusual number of detonations lately. Maybe it has to do with the powder companies changing ownership. HMB

3. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Another? I missed reading about any previous blow ups.

Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with powder, components, hulls or firearms. I think there are a lot of uneducated or careless reloaders out there, and thanks to the internet, their stories are now getting out there for everyone to hear.

~Michael

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Another Idiot and his gun? Was he a MENSA member?LOL

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have been loading for 44 years and have done my fair share of dumb things including loading a double charge of 700X (34gr)behind 1 1/8 ounce of shot. Twice before I figured out what was happening. It did not even seem to bother my old field grade 1100 other than scare the crap out of me. I do not know what it would take to blow a gun up and am always interested in what happens. I too watched the mythbusters when they tried to blow up the gun and I am baffled at how it happens. I saw one while hunting, an ithaca 900XL disintegrate at the forearm, and there was so much carbon built up on the barrel lug recess and lug itself that I think it didn't lock in and the bolt opened during firing. It sure would be interesting to find out what actually happens.

6. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Whenever you hear of gun blowing up, seems like a reload 99.9% of the time. Either that or carlessness.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Trim Tab,

You may be right. I agree with Slick 13. I know guys who should not be reloading and it is surprising they have not had an accident.

I offended one guy when I refused to shoot his reloads. I offended another person when I told him he could only shoot my reloads or factory through my gun. I really pissed off another guy off when I would not shoot on the same squad with him.

It takes but a small fraction of a percent of these guys to account for the stories we hear of guns blown up.

I have had a few squibs but never a double charge. Mistakes do happen.

Don Verna

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

leadvail,

You're an idiot! I'll bet that more guns have suffered catastrofic damage while shooting registered/practice targets than that of game shooters. Don't critisize something you know nothing about.

Now, 7 1/2's or 8's?

ec90t

9. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I thought all the problems were Kregoughs??

tony

10. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

It hardly ever has to do with the brand of gun the word RELOAD always seems to surface as the common denominator.With ammo as good as it is and good guns as expensive as they are, it is beyond me why people screw around with handloads.
    Jack

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Don V.,

I agree, I will never pull a trigger on someone else's reload. Just a little thing I'm funny about. I know my own level of care in reloading...but have no idea about the other guy. I know other people's reloads are all around me...but I just don't want them inches from my face. Nobody who ever got a bad outcome from a bad reload, ever went into it with that intention.

And same with my "nice" guns...if somebody wants to try it out, sure...factory only, please. I learned early on that if you're gonna show up at the club with eye candy, better have at least one box of Estates or something on hand.

12. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Oakley's and P shoots were NEVER mentioned in the start. Nor should they be. I'll guarantee you that someone that shoots Oakley's or Partner Shoots would NEVER MISS-LOAD a fraction of what a NEWBEE RELOADER does.Probably had NO scale ?

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I would like to throw in a little food for thought, as we are the subject. With the use of these Euro type primers. I have tried the Noble Sports primers and have found them to be weaker than the Win. they are supose to substitute with. With the vast differences that a different primer can cause in chamber pressures might it be some of these primers !!! A double flash out of the primer causing two detenations of the powder !!! I know that a large number of us reloaders have used or are using these primers in large numbers that have what type of quality control. I don't think they are near as good as Rem's or Win.'s primers that we all have used for century's. Their cheaper cost, and very possably poor quality control may be the problem that some shooters have overlooked. Just my 2 cents worth. I will be useing Win. AA's from now on. It just is not worth difference in price and the peace of mind. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Yip leadvail,

I get called that everytime I go to the bank!

I'm a multi-discipline shooter. I don't look down at any of the shooting sports because I know what it takes to be proficient at it.

BTW, I've been out of college for quite a while now. The one thing that I remember from my english professor is that I had no problem getting my point across. Now go and correct a second graders paper so you can feel important!

ec90t

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    That's why for handguns and rifles I like bulky powders that fill well over half the case. That way if you get a double charge you cannot seat the bullet. My favorite rifle loads are slightly compressed loads. Hard to overfill the case when it's filled up nearly flush with the neck.

16. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

It takes more than a double charge to blow a gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tony savage trap shooter