1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another "Rules" question?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by geneleroy, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Another

First of all, this doesn't matter to me one way or another! At a recent shoot I was on post 3, there were AA shooters on 1 & 2 so they obviously were not 'new' shooters. When it was time for a 'move' both of these shooters stepped back to allow the moving shooter to walk in front of them! This appears to violate Rule IV-I-12! Which one of you Rules Guru's would have said something about this? I see a very slight safety question here(very slight)but all guns were open and unloaded! I personally would not have taken the chance of 'disrupting the harmony' of the shoot(XII-B)! Like I stated, it made no difference to me.

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

Another

You read the rule and seem to understand it so what's the question that requires "Rules Gurus"? The shooter moving from 5 to 1 violated the rule and should be hung from the nearest tree after being drawn and quartered.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Another

genelroy, I'd have to agree with you. I've never seen that kind of "courtesy" afforded by shooters but I have seen shooters take a 1/2 step forward to permit the moving shooter to have the walkway and that makes perfect sense to me....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Another

It is my understanding...at least etiquette-wise that the shooter on post 5 turns to the right and walks behind the other shooters to post one.

Drives me batty when person on post 5 turns into me as i am heading to post 5. My gun is no P or K, but that doesnt mean i want to risk a little barrel bashing.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Another

Unless somebody goes in front of somebody, how are they ever going to pass - short of going around the earth, that is?

I've always wondered about that rule myself.

Neil

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Another

It is a technical rules violation by the shooter who is moving from post five. The two AA shooters who stepped back were probably conditioned to do this from shooting on the 27 yard line. On the 27, it is very common to step back to allow a shooter to move from 5 to 1. The field design frequently makes it difficult to step forward from the 27 without moving some wires and a microphone. I always step aside for the shooter who is moving from 1 to 5. Sometimes my step is forward and sometimes it is backward. The direction depends on the field design. When I move from 5 to 1, I can't remember if I turn clockwise or counter clockwise, but it is possible that I may upsetrevsublime.

Pat Ireland

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Another

Um ... uh ... whats the big deal? Maybe the other 2 shooters were being courteous? Maybe they were giving respect to the other shooter? Maybe the other shooter has difficulty walking so they let him pass by unencumbered by walking on grass/dirt/concrete? Maybe your just desperate to try and have something to post about so you thought you would throw the bait upon the waters to see what fish you might be able to get to boil to the surface.

Who really knows ... I think if there had been some sort of problem the referee would have said something.

8. smartass

smartass TS Member

Another

Neil, what you said was nonsensical. There is no need for a shooter ever to walk in front of his squadmates. The rule is there for a good reason, IMO.

Alas, unlike most organizations, the ATA rules can be ignored with impunity. Very few feel the need to follow them, as evicinced by this and many other threads.

9. Neil Winston

Another

OK, Ano, here's the scene:

Five shots have been fired by each competitor on a squad. The sub-event is not over, so the guy or gal on post five must move to post one and all the other move to the right. All are walking. How can it be done without one walking in front of another?

Neil

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Another

Mr Anon sir ... please lets just learn, realize and accept that it is what it is and whatever happens will happen and there is nobody out there that can change a freakin thing so lets just learn to live with it while realizing it might be wrong and accepting it all because that is the ATA way.

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Another

Neil ... if we were in the future he/she could hover and float from 5 to 1 if they were wearing there anti-gravity hover shoes.

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Another

Ok ... this is really going to sound bad and I am not like this at all but if the chair shooter wants to be treated as an equal he can roll his way behind the rest of shooters like everyone else.

Seriously I just cant see a problem if a shooter steps back to let take a quick moment to let the somebody walk from post 5 to post 1 or if a shooter gets instantly on post to begin a very routine method of preparedness to help him get back into or to stay in the zone while another shooter walks behind him to get to station 1. Either way who really cares?

Do you care? How about you? You there ... yeah you lurking back there way in the back ... do you care?

13. Neil Winston

Another

Lumper, you must have seen my ad for "ATA Approved Hover Shoes" in the newest issue of T&F. But you missed the purpose. As the text clearly states, they are intended to raise your point of impact based on prevailing wind conditions. You start with a flat shooter and leave it there during tailwinds (see thread). As the wind shifts more to the front, you just just dial in a little more lift with the convenient clip-on Bluetooth control and as your body rises, so does your shot-placement. Lift is limited to 100% for safety reasons, but an over-ride is available if a signed release is provided our company. It is all digital, so there's no fear of crosstalk or a guy opening his garage door sending you to the moon.

Kyra participated in early testing and gave it two dew-claws up, though it took her a while to master the controls:

[​IMG]

And last, Lumper, you should have read to the end, where you can see "Use of this article to evade ATA Official Rule IV-I-12 is strictly prohibited and violators will be sent to TS.com for eternity." Now _that's_ a threat!

Neil

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Another

Neil ... what rule did you break to get sent here or are you here because people make you feel special?

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

Another

I'm sorry Neil ... that was not nice of me, not nice of me at all and I wish to apologize.

16. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Another

Mr. Winston, so far is the only one to figure this out! The rule doesn't refer to the post 5 shooter it refers to the "shooter"! If post 5 walks in back of shooters 1,2,3 & 4 then shooters 1,2,3 & 4 must have walked in front of shooter 5! Like Neil says unless shooter 5 walks around the world! You thought it takes a long time to finish an event, wait until this happens! LOL The rule would make more sense if it referred to the shooter on post 5 or better yet, just delete the rule!

17. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Another

Just thought that this rule goes back to when international trap was an ATA event. 6 shooters on the squad, each shooter shoots one shot and move to the right with the 6th man filling station #1. Station five shooter moves to #1 after his shot by going behind the shooters. Certainly would not want him walking infront of the "firing line".

Scott

18. Neil Winston

Another

Lumper, I as well often wonder what rule I broke to be sent here. And yes, reading your posts does make me "feel special" but only in comparison to you, you understand, not as a general thing.

Neil

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Another

Scott's got a good point, there's no other way for I. Trap to function than for the person on the far right to move to the left, behind the other competitors, and with an open and empty gun.

However, in our game, I feel it's still far better to have just one person moving to the opposite end of the field and behind other competitors than to have him pass in front of 2, 3, or 4 people with their guns. This permits all persons to be watchful of just one person carrying his open and unloaded gun than to focus on 2, 3, or 4 persons to ensure THEY are open and unloaded....breakemall....Bob Dodd

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Another

Cy-Kick ... was international trap at one point in time an ATA event?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.