1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

another rules question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by coho, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coho

coho Member

I was shooting at the wyoming state shoot last weekend. During the handicap event the lady on post 3 had a broken bird come out of the trap. She didn’t shoot and called clear to have the trap throw another bird and clear out the chips from the previous broken bird. She then called for another bird and one was thrown with all kinds of chips, she shot at it and missed. The scorer called lost and the next person was going to shoot. I turned and said it was a broken bird and she should get to shoot again. Someone else on the squad said it wasn’t broken there were just chips from the previous broken bird. I replied that there was no way to know if the chips came from the bird she shot at or a different bird so she should be able to re-shoot it. She got to call for another bird and hit it. So was that the correct call?

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

No target, shoot again.

3. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

correct call for no target

E. NO TARGET
    The referee/scorer shall rule “NO TARGET” and allow another target(s)
    in the following instances:

3. When a whole target appears on the call of the shooter along with
    target debris.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

ljunatic- You are correct, but this rule can really get confusing. The problem is how much debris is required for a no target ruling. Does a small chip that travels 2 feet from the house and never gets above the house adequate debris? When on post five, observing such small chips is not unusual.

Pat Ireland

5. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

Pat ,you are right. I usually see the pieces best from post5

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Pat:

What's the confusing part? The rule doesn't specify a minimum size or quantity of debris to be declared "adequate". Your example of a "... small chip that travels 2 feet from the house and never gets above the house" and is only seen from post 5 is a no target.

Of course, automatic traps FREQUENTLY throw some junk with otherwise legal targets. Often times, the junk is only visible from post one or five. Assuming there is no harm and no foul, (i.e. the debris doen't interfere the otherwise legal target) the issue is whether shooters should and do call the "no target" in a consistent manner.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.