1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another request for reload recipe..sorry

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

OK... I was just about to drive over to Atlanta to pick up a batch of relaoding supplies when a client of mine gave me a bunch of powder and primers!

I mentioned to a client whose husband recently traded her in for a younger model that I was about to run out to the range for some shooting. She said her soon to be ex was a big shooter and he had left a bunch of stuff she didn’t know what to do with. I said I might be interested. Well long story short....I ended up with 4 jugs of Promo and over 2 cases of cheddite primers.

So...what to do? I can't find any recipes for that powder/primer combo anywhere. I normally shoot 1 oz. with tgt12 wads (or clones) at around 1200-1250 fps.

I know how everyone feels about publishing untested recipes, but I have this stuff and seems a shame not to use it. So..any help?

Mark

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Use data for Red Dot as the two powder will interchange. Promo is a little denser so you'll need to rely on your scales and not the bushing charts.

This info comes straight from Alliant and is widly posted.

ss

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Call Alliant an dask their techs.

Its your only SAFE answer.

4. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

what type of hulls are you useing and what oz of shot do want to drop
    Pete

5. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I use the same load as tigman46 but use cheddite primers and DR XL-1 lime green wad.Jerry

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I will be using AA hulls and 1 oz. shot. I normally use Clays and Rem 209's but I would love to use this free stuff. Almost like a free day at the range!

So...to recap

AA Hulls
    1oz. Shot
    TGT-12 Wads (and clones)
    Promo Powder
    Cheddite Primers
    1200 fps or slightly faster

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Basically treat your Promo as if it was Red Dot (use a scale of course) and the Cheddites are considered medium heat primers like Winchesters. So use recipes for red dot and winchester primers. I suggest loading lighter than recipes for 1250fps and check for excessive pressure before moving on......Bob Dodd

8. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I'm using 17.3 grains of Promo, GC hulls, CB 8100 1 oz wads, and federal primers. Great loads shooting about 1200 fps. Any questions call Alliant. They can give you a good mix

9. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I wouldn't use anything without a factory recipe in my hands.

How exactly do you check for excessive pressure?

10. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I agree with Remstar311. My recipe came from Alliant. Wanted different primers and was sent 10000 Federals. Had to use them. People at Alliant are vary helpful

11. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

I regularly shoot 1 oz shells loaded with 17.5 grains red dot, a cheddite primer, green dusters and STS hulls. They consistantly chronograph at 1235 fps.

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

hrosik123

"I'm using 17.3 grains of Promo, GC hulls, CB 8100 1 oz wads, and federal primers. Great loads shooting about 1200 fps. Any questions call Alliant. They can give you a good mix"

Well hrosik123 I didn't see him ask for someone to give him a good mix. He was asking if he could use the components that were given to him.

"I normally use Clays and Rem 209's but I would love to use this free stuff. Almost like a free day at the range!"

So how does your answer qualify as what he is trying to find out????

BTW when I enter the data that you list I come up with this answer. "There are no Recipes that match your criteria" Also they don't list CB 8100 Wads

Bob Lawless

13. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

ivanhoe, When Mark425 writes So.. any help? seems to be asking a question to me. I was just letting him know what my mix was. He can use what info he wants from my response. I've noticed that a lot of people like no nitpick everyone elses comments or statements now. Just trying to help the guy out since I shoot the same powder and load size and relatively same wads. By attacking my response, not only did you not help Mark425, you just wasted everybodys time by reading your post. If you're not going to help maybe the best course of action is to not respond at all. Besides I saw two other mix recipes in this thread. Did you not see fit to call those guys out. By the way the wads are Claybuster 8100-12 wads and the mix came directly from Alliant

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Call or email Alliant. They can usually put you on the right track.

15. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Alliant reloading data should be accessible via web?! Is it not?

16. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Alliant has data on the web and published in their Reloader's Guide, but they rarely have primers that are not of the hull manufacturer's brand.

I find it interesting that they will recommend loads that are not published nor posted on their website. If they have test data, how hard would it be to post it on their website. I guess they got enough experience to recommend substituting a medium primer in a mild pressure load with out any test data, breaking the cardinal rule of no substitutions!!! Ok, rant over, I needed that.

Jason

17. ivanhoe

hrosik123 I guess if I have to explain it to you you wouldn't understand any way. So why waste my time. If you feel information about primers he can't use and wads he can't use. Is helping him who am I to get involved.

Anchorsteam

"Alliant reloading data should be accessible via web?! Is it not?"

No it not, not for the original question any way. BTW not for 123 recipe either. He thinks you should when someone says

"I wouldn't use anything without a factory recipe in my hands."

He should agree after just giving a recipe that is not published or doesn't come from "a factory" what kind of factory I don't know. It was told to him by Alliant he says. I guess I am not allowed a safety question any more with out Mr. 123's approval.

waverider

"Alliant has data on the web and published in their Reloader's Guide, but they rarely have primers that are not of the hull manufacturer's brand."

You are correct except for one thing Jason the first shell listed at the top of the page when you enter the reloading guide is Cheddite Plastic shells

Bob Lawless

18. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

ivanhoe, I use Promo powder. Same as Mark 425 has. I use aftermarket wads that are the same as tgt 12's, same as Mark 425. Shoot a load very similar to what he wants to do. Its true that not all mixes are on Alliants web page, thats why I told him to ask them for a mix. I use the mix they gave me. I understand that primers burn different and that he has to make sure that everything will work together. I took exception to the fact that you called me out. Not the other way around. Just trying to help out someone who wants to load a shell with similar material. Sorry my answers aren't what you want to hear.

19. ivanhoe

hrosik123 you are mistaking me for someone who cares. Personally I don't care if you tell him to load SH** in his shells what components you use or he uses have no meaning in the facts. You give him a recipe I would assume to try to help him out so you say.

"I'm using 17.3 grains of Promo, GC hulls, CB 8100 1 oz wads, and federal primers. Great loads shooting about 1200 fps. Any questions call Alliant. They can give you a good mix"

A load that I might add is not in the Alliant manual that I can find. Then Remstar311 says,

"I wouldn't use anything without a factory recipe in my hands"

To which you say.

"I agree with Remstar311. My recipe came from Alliant."

You say you use the mix they gave you thats fine but does it put a "Factory" recipe in Mark425's hands. That is what you told him to do isn't it? I mean that you agreed to what Remstar311 said and that is what he said in Mark's hands not yours????? Is this recipe that you got from Alliant on paper?
    Or was it a phone call if so not exactly in your hands.

BTW it say a factory recipe what it doesn't say in what factory. The shell, wad, primer, or powder "factory". You are the one that agreed to it doesn't look like you were a real big help now does it.

The right answer to Mark's question was given by to posters, timb99, and Quack Shot. Those are the only answers that are completely safe. Giving him a similar recipe that isn't in the listing will not put the recipe in his hands. Posting a recipe that you are the only one that can verify certainly isn't putting it in his hands now is it.

The funny part about all of this is the next time a gun blows up some of the posters to this site that pass out recipes will be the first ones blaming the gun manufacturers. Think about it

20. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

ivanhoe, guess you can't read. Said the mix was e-mailed to me from Alliant. Thats what factory. On your last post you wrote "your mistaking me for someone who cares". If you don't care then keep your hands in your pockets and not on the keyboard. Personally I think this whole thing is stupid. Have a good year and turn big orange things into little pieces

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.