1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another reloading practice question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Crickets, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crickets

Crickets Member

Is it really necessary to reside shells these days? I know if you shoot one gun it isn't, but I cut apart a AA hull today and noticed the base wad/ powder cup is pretty solid and the combustion cone (or whatever its called) is way above the brass. On a Federal plastic shells the paper base wad is really solid and up to the top of the brass. So how much deformation can really happen to the brass (or steal)?

I cant see where there is any outward pressure on the metal base of the shell on modern shells. I can understand the older shells that had a higher brass than today's shells or the high brass shells, but don't see how the average modern shell would experience much if any deformation.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I resize steel hulls because it takes a lot of stress off my PW loaders. My gun has a .810" chamber and resizing hulls to .806" with a mec supersizer makes loading go a lot easier and it gives me a chance to inspect the hulls before I load them.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I resize only for my gas guns...

4. sub sr.

sub sr. TS Member

skipping that one step doesn't really save all that much time, and it only takes one shell that does not want to enter the chamber--now that does something for your mind in the middle of a shoot

5. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

When I first got my 870 I was using the resizing ring on the MEC 600 and out of every box of shells I would get aprox. 2 shells that would jam after firing and become hard to eject or would take a nice SHUCK to get it out. Since then I have purchased a SUper Sizer and the problem has totally went away the 870 cycles through any round with no problem.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Just listen to the two posts above me. It only takes one hull to stick in your gun after your shot to mess with your mind!!! Most 100 target events are Won or Lost because of "One" target. If that's not good enough how would you like to shoot with a guy who has a stuck shell twice in every box and holds up the "whole" squad in practice or a reg. shoot??? Now just resize your loads and forgetaboutit. Break em all Jeff

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Run your fired empty hulls through your gun. The ones that fit tight in the chamber can be resized before reloading. HMB

8. warren

warren Member

Resize all of them all the time and avoid a lot of problems, the problems stated above are correct.

warren

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

hmb - It's easier to resize them than to run the empties through your gun.

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Re-size them you have enough to worry about without sticky shells, also much easier on your extractors & the rest of your gun. Ross

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Buy at least a used Grabber, sell your old loader, then get back to concentrating on shooting. Good luck.

12. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Serious reloaders produce factory like shells in the exact performance they want. Consistant and reliable in all conditions.

There was a time when you could hobble together some reloads on a budget, and save a few bucks. Now, if you want some money saving reloads, and don't wan't to resize the empty's because your reloader dosen't do that, it would be in your best interest to just buy some promo shells like "top guns", or "gun clubs" which are good shells, as they will work as advertised.

13. Crickets

Crickets Member

Thanks for everyone's valuable input. And YES, by the way I do resize my shells, have no problem doing it, I use the process to inspect my shells, and I like them deprimed before going on the Mec 650. I was wondering if its even necessary with today's low brass shells because , especially with the AAs, I cant see where there is any significant pressure on the sidewall of the shell at the brass level.

For an experiment, I measured 25 factory new Federal shells which had an average diameter of .805" at the top of the metal, some as high as .807 some as low as .803, most at .804 & .805. I measured 25 once-shot shells shot from my o/u and a single pulled at random from the bucket. Averaged .806, low .804 high .808. Pulled another 25 out of a old bucket of multi reloaded shells some I'm sure i picked up out of a trash can. Average .806 w/ one shell at .809. Is that enough of a difference? I don't know

14. Reinz

Reinz Member

Jeff (pull and mark) nailed it.

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I have never run a shell through my reloader without resizing it for close to 30 years and I think it would be rediculous not to do it . Better safe than sorry .

16. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I tried not resizing my used hulls and found it nessary. AJ

17. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Ever heard of the term "Tight Tolerance" in today's guns?? That means you don't have very much give from a easy to eject shell and one that will make you look funny (like OH say a rookie) on the line trying to pull/shuck (whatever action it may take) to get your lodged 'unsized' hull out of your chamber.

Just my POV...

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I tend to load/reload stuff/hulls that do not give me problems. discard the stuff that does and learn from the experience.

I loathe steel based hulls but willshoot a few. Perhaps 5 + flats a year. compared to 12000 brass based shells. 3 of us shoot these thru standard P guns and have no problems.

19. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

If you ever buy a real reloader, you will find it impossible to skip the resize station. What are you reloading on??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.