1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Relaoding Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is clear that some shooters elect to reload discount shell hulls (Estates, Gun Club, etc.) These hulls have steel heads and the premium hulls use brass. Does the steel head result in additional wear on reloading machines?

And, would the steel heads result in any additional gun wear?

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Smart loaders re-size them on a MEC Supersizer first. They'll actually fall out of the die easily on my Spolar when using this system. Wear seems impossible with little effort needed on the final KO stage!!

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Smarter loaders yet use a MEC with the sizing collect to begin with!!!!

To answer the question about wear, maybe?? I am about 100,000+ into my MEC no problems. But most of the items that contact the base are not expensive to replace.

GS

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Federal made Estates, Top Guns and Multi-Purpose hulls reload fine on my MEC Grabber. They shoot well in my 870’s.

I have reloaded many, many Gold Medal Plastic and Paper hulls, with brass heads, in my MEC and they started becoming hard to chamber and eject. I got out the instruction book and adjusted the collet resizer (same as on a MEC Super Sizer) and the problems went away. As mentioned in the instructions, repeated long use may cause the need for an adjustment.

5. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

With the many thousands of Remington, Federal, Challenger and Fiocchi steel headed hulls that I have reloaded I am sure that there is undoubtedly ware on the sizer dies, more than there would be had they been brass but for what ware there is, it seems to be non-measurable. I am also sure that it is also harder on the joints of the machine but then again until it is broken it seems to be un-measurable.

As far as additional gun ware, it also seems to be un-measurable, with no related breakdowns to mention.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've never had any issue with reloading steel headed hulls. I have loaded quite a few, including the Remington Gun Clubs, Federals, and Estates, etc. They have not made any changes to, or damaged, my reloader (MEC) or firearms. The collet sizer on the MEC handles them with ease. If the reloads caused undo wear to a firearm, the original loads would also, since both are sized about the same.

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

there would be no wear on the resize collet from the shell the thing seems to be as was stated the rims are sometimes smaller and cause an extraction problem in repeaters rick

8. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

JoeE ...... A woolie bore swab with a trace of oil inserted in the resizing die between hulls will help eliminate that stuck hull in the sizing die problem.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My home club sells Kemen and Diana shells to a very large SCTP presence. Since the kids cannot shoot reloads in practice or matches, and since I work with them and their coaches gratis, they give me LARGE quantities of these hulls. I have developed some very suitable loads for both the paper and plastic hulls. I have so many of these cheapies that I generally supply club members with the "good stuff" and load the other.

If this were not bad enough, I am an inveterate hull scrounger (since 1958). I have loaded econo hulls since there WERE econo hulls!

I only load with Mec 9000's, and keep them properly serviced. I cannot tell that there has been any accelerated wear on the machines. I also cannot see ANY damage to the chambers of my tournament guns. I shoot the devil out of them, and the chambers are as slick as they were the day I bought them. I do properly service my tournament arms.

As far as the Diana/Kemen and domestic promo factory loads, almost all of the failures to eject are from lack of maintenence, not shell design.

The only shell my Krieghoffs did not reliably eject was the old Cypriot Victory brand. Braxton at Krieghoff said to shoot another shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.