1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another recoil question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by headhunter, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

I was reading the thread about recoil and the question came up, Do longer barrels have more recoil than shorter barrels? Seems like the longer barrels would hold the pressure longer until the pressure is released therefore creating more recoil. You say what?

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I understand that the combustion of the powder all happens in about the first 18" of the barrel. Once the pressure builds to a certain point, it won't continue to build with no further combustion. The weight of the longer barrel will also negate some of the recoil. Longer barrel, less recoil. That's my guess. Do I win something? Mark

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

All things being equal, longer barrels would actually have LESS recoil due to the increased mass of the gun.

4. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Shoot a .44 magnum with 8 3/8" bbl then shoot the same load from a 2" bbl. You will have your answer.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I can't get flames out the end of my shotgun, like a 44 magnum! :) Mark

6. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

ok, Yep that makes sense.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Pressure has no affect on recoil. The speed of the shot/wad/gases and the mass of same will determine the amount of recoil. You can reduce recoil with a muzzle brake (not done in a shotgun). If you want less recoil, for whatever load you are shooting, you need to look at the gun.

Stock fit, weight, and recoil reduction devices will help tame recoil.

Anyone who thinks they can feel a difference between a 30" or 32" barrel enjoys the aroma of his own bullshit.

Don Verna

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LMAO@Don!! That was good Don, very good!! :)

Hap

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What Don said, plus going form ounce and an eighth to an ounce, and/or going from 1200 fps to 1145 fps will lessen recoil, guaranteed.

The answer to your question is indeterminate. Theoretically, a longer barrel gives you slightly higher muzzle velocity. But as noted above, the longer barrel also weighs more, all else equal. So these two factors cancel each other with respect to recoil, and you can't say which one is a larger factor without more data.

Bottom line, you probably can't tell the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.