1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ANOTHER RECOIL MESSAGE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KL, Jul 25, 2013.

1. KL

KL TS Member

My prior recoil thread concerning the 12 year old grandson was responded to by, "I guess you don't reload". I do reload 20 gauge and would welcome any powder/wad/etc specs or formula that would emulate Winchester's AA Featherlite that are not now on store shelves.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Claybuster makes a 3/4 oz 20 gauge wad, and lists the data, see link above. They are very soft shooting. Mark

3. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I highly recommend 3/4 oz loads. JM

4. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

They make a powder that replicates it, I just do not remember what the name of it is.

Perhaps some other person here can help.

Kenny U.

5. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Green Dot works very well for 20 ga. 3/4 oz.loads. Check Alliant site for reloading data.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

International Clays powder works pretty good for 20 gauge. I have not used it for super light 20 gauges but the Hodgdon website has sone soft loads listed.

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I used PB to fashion 3/4 oz 20 ga loads for my Grandson when he started. Its bulky and takes up excess room.

8. Thee Craig

Thee Craig Member

FWIW an old timer on my trap team wrote me up an ultra light 12ga load i'm going to try with my 8 year old son. its a 7/8oz load with 3/4 oz claybusters with 15.5-16.5 grains of claydot or clays. pick your primer, they'll all work. the larger wad is to increase psi to make up for the lack of powder. they break birds from 16-27. he taught me how to shoot left handed (because nobody else was there yet and the pump was running) with his BT with those loads.

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The only difference with the 3/4 oz wad, compared to the 7/8 oz wad, is that there is a bump in the shot cup that takes up the room of an 1/8 oz of shot. Use whichever wad gives you the best crimp. I use 17.2 oz of ClayDot in Remington hulls. With 3/4 oz of shot, it's amazingly soft shooting. Mark

10. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Let him shoot a 12 gauge with 7/8oz loads.Very light recoil.My kids all started shooting at 11 or 12 years old with 7/8oz loads.My youngest is 27 now and we still use 7/8oz loads. I load Promo now. Have for years. If you want a very low pressure powder try some SR7625. Lowest pressure stuff I ever used. Almost no recoil.