1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another reason to hate Wal Mart....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Wal Mart steals... oh, sorry, "aggressivly recoups", their employees medical settlements.

2. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I wonder who Wal-Mart's insurance carrier is? Given my past experiences with BCBS, I'll bet that's who it is.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A lot of major corporations are now self insured. They hire the name brand companies like Humana et al to process their claimes. First order of business? DENY THE CLAIM.

Every time they get some poor schmuck to pay what should be covered the bottom line gets enhanced.

so now you have to be a lawyer too, and argue every charge.

HM

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Is Walmart to blame or the Insurance Industry?

Go back and do a little research into the insurance industry practices....

Curt - Delaware

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sounds a lot like Social Security disability claims which are denied routinely in round one. HMB

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Why does everyone blame Wal-Mart for all the problems of the world.

I would love to see Wal-Mart say to all there employees that only "salaried" management and they alone will be eligible for health insurance. Nobody else ever will have health insurance and for those who currently have health insurance who are not "salaried" management who currently are on a plan you have until a set date to get other insurance because yours will be canceled.

People yell and complain all the time about this and that but no where and I mean no where does it say anywhere at all that any employee of any company must be given or offered health insurance. Why yell, scream, rant & rave about Wal-Mart or does it just make you feel better to have something to complain about or ... your actually a Wally World Worker and your upset about your insurance ... yep thats it ... your a WWW.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

So many people believe that it is the employers responsibility to provide medical insurance for their employees. Even more people believe that employers pay one half of the employees Social Security tax. And, more amazing, some will even believe that they do not pay income taxes, they get a refund.

Employees pay, directly or indirectly, all of these expenses. Wall Mart would have no problem with providing better medical coverage and reducing salaries for its workers, or increasing the salaries and reducing the medical coverage. If one goes up, the other must come down.

Pat Ireland

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Insurance Industry (Underwriters) causes the problem and WalMart takes the blame, sounds reasonable to me (NOT) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

I'm sorry but here we go again, read the article.

"Like most company health plans, Wal-Mart's reserves the right to recoup the medical expenses it paid for someone's treatment if the person also collects damages in an injury suit."

Once again, if something is perceived as negative and you can attach Walmart to it, don't bother to name any of the others using the same practice.

As the article states, this is common to "most company health plans" and it does list Southwest Airlines and the hospital chain HCA as other examples of companies with insurance policies that have this built in.

The simple fact is that MOST policies now include "subrogation" clauses.

The bottom line, instead of getting fired up about the evil Walmart, you may be better served by re reading your own policy and see if you signed away YOUR rights through "subrogation". Bet you have. Armed with this knowledge, IF you were ever in a situation where it might apply, at least you would factor that into any decision on a settlement.

10. incognito

incognito TS Member

It's all about people wanting "cheap" stuff. In order to sell their products at a low price they have to keep costs low. If you want Wal-Mart to offer better benefits, send them some extra money and ask them to spend it on employee benefits. I doubt they get too many people offering to pay more so their employees can have a better insurance plan.

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I love Wal-Mart.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My brother in law and his wife were in a horrendous motorcycle/car accident. nOt their fault, the 17 year old blew a stop sing in front of them.

He is disabled, she is crippled for life.

He was in intensive care for 6 days, she for 2 weeks. Her pelvis crushed and right leg paralyzed. He will never be able to work again.

They are on the mend now. She is home after 3 months in a nursing home, still getting therapy. They will not get one penny. The insurance is all used up and they are being chased for medical bills.

There is absolutely no possibility of ANY damage awards for pain and suffering, since the father's only asset is his home.

But the Medical community got more than a half million dollars out of it.

Something is really not right here.

HM

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

If you watch TV in the afternoon on these cold winters, you will see all kinds of personal injury attorneys advertising. Your medical insurance company can recover medical bills incurred in an auto accident, slip and fall (for example). Subrogation... and I'm not a lawyer but stayed at a (Holiday Inn Express once)is when/if you sued and won your claim and it was a lot of money, say for pain and suffering and your hospital stay was of course a lot of money, then your insurance company can come after you for reimbursement of the medical cost. Think of health insurance as a loan and pray you don't have to sue and win. You are the first on their list for your medical bills to be paid back. It makes no difference what company you work for BCBS and all others have the same clause in your policy.

See above for reference.

I know a friend of mine that I met through physical rehab, he won a big settlement after a car accident and elected to take little chunks of money every year so he would not have to pay back BCBS.

Jerbear... sucks don't it?

14. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Subrogation is nothing new, but when Wal-Mart does it some folks just have to bitch for the sake of bitching. Do a little research before you libel Wal-Mart or any other company that acts within the law.

15. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Workman's comp claims, Social Security disability, car wrecks, rehab, subrogation. Been there, done that. There simply isn't enough bandwidth for me to rant. On to happier subjects.

Shawn

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I don't really need any more reasons to hate Walmart but thanks anyway!!

17. rwm12

rwm12 Member

Say what you want about Walmart, but they have everyday prices. You don't have to wait for the items to go on sale like most of the other discount stores do in our area. I hate to purchase items and get home and pick up the newspaper and the same item is 10% or 15% off, and not just this time of the year. Walmart at Sparta last year sold a lot of shells at a good price.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

But American, shop Wal-Mart. HMB

19. MX-10RS

MX-10RS TS Member

The lines are already too long at Wal Mart. I wish you'd all stop shopping there so I can get through the check-out faster....

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Wal Mart is great ... they have almost everything I need and there medication prices are simply the best in the land. I cant believe how much my local pharmacist was ripping us off around these parts. As soon as Wal Mart opened he went out of business since he could no longer charge what he had been.

There is a reason why local business owners drive the most expensive, live in the most expensive and are members at the most expensive clubs ... to bad they can no longer afford there nice overcharged paid for luxury's.

Wal Mart is the best thing to happen for America.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.