1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another question of shooting etiquette

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ted K., Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

My trap club is right next to* a railroad track. For the past 20 years or so, the track has not been used, but lately the track has been put back into service, and short trains (10 cars or less) go by once or twice a day.

I find that if I shoot while a train is passing, I have only a 50-50 chance of hitting the bird (normally I shoot a little better than that). The train makes a LOT of noise and usually sounds its horn several times as it passes our club because of a nearby crossing.

Here's the question - is it improper for me to wait for the train to go by (about 60 - 90 seconds) if it's my turn to shoot?

I'm not trying to resolve a dispute - this is a new development, and so far no one has even raised the issue, as far as I know. I'm not even sure what other people are doing. But I am getting tired of losing a bird when a train goes by.

Any thoughts?

Ted K.

*When I say "right next to" I mean the track is less than 150 feet from the 27 yard circles for all the traps.

2. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Is it in front of the trap houses? If so the visual distraction (and/or safety) issue can be brought to the attention of the management and permission sought to stop shooting until the train is gone. If it is behind the shooting lanes and presents no visual distraction then use better quality ear plugs or combine earplugs with muffs.

3. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

You need Yoda to train you so you can use the "force" to ignore it

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

It would be within reason to wait until the train goes by.
    I don't think anyone will or should complain.

5. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Jawari -

The train is behind us. But why do you think better muffs/ear plugs would solve the problem? Have you noticed that you can hear

(i) your shot

(ii) the scorer say "lost", and

(iii) the other side of a conversation

even with your hearing protection in place?

So why do you think I wouldn't hear a freight train?

Country blues -

I don't know because I can't hear myself think in that racket. BTW, some say I can't think when it's quiet, either.

Ted K.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You need to learn to block out all distractions. If everyone stopped shooting everytime there was an outside noise, the events would drag on forever. "Train" yourself to focus on the task at hand and not what is going on around you.

7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Take the train noise as a blessing. The distraction during practice will help you better ignore small distractions when shooting registered targets.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I would say it would be reasonable for you to wait until the distraction has passed. You wouldn't be expected to shoot if a car alarm was going off behind you, or a dog barking, or a child making lots of noise (I can guarantee you that any of the guys that are saying just ignore it would stop if any of the things that I mentioned were happening). A train going by 50yds away is definitely a distraction, not to mention the fact that its going to interfere with you getting on-time pulls.

9. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

grntitian and Rastoff -

I tried that. Figured it was good training. It's not. It's impossible to concentrate. The noise is overwhelming - it has nothing in common with a dog barking or a distant car alarm. It's a FREIGHT TRAIN!

Think about how you would shoot if a brass band struck up a march for 90 seconds once or twice a week, and it was only a few feet behind you. And let me tell you, the train's horn is much louder than a brass band.

Ted K.

10. grntitan

"You wouldn't be expected to shoot if a car alarm was going off behind you, or a dog barking, or a child making lots of noise"

Are you serious??? Tell me you are joking. There are noises other than shooting during Trap shoots.

11. skeet_man

I am absolutely serious. Do think think anyone would keep shooting (if they cared about their score) with something like that going on around them?

12. grntitan

Happens all the time. If everyone stopped shooting everytime a kid cried, a dog barked or car alarm went off, the shoot would last for days. Do you go to the Grand? You can hear at least one or two car alarms going off all day long during the days events at one end of the line or another. If you are so distracted by the least little outside noise, you already lost.

Granted a freight train is another story and I was somewhat having fun with Ted when I said "Train" yourself. You do have to learn to block stuff out and focus on the task at hand.

13. triplea

triplea TS Member

Maybe you need to go to concentration camp and learn to block out the train. Eric Cartman.

14. ky4some

ky4some Member

I put freight train in a little different category than dog barking or even car alarm. I would have no problem if you waited for it to pass.

Mike Kamer

15. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

OK, now that I've read all the responses (including my own), I'm starting to think it was dumb question, since the answer now seems obvious at least to me.

I'm going to wait for the train to pass. I don't believe anyone is going to object. And if they do, I won't be able to hear them.

Another possibility is to turn around and shoot the train, using the train's horn as a call for a target. It's certainly easier to hit than a clay pigeon. I'll have to take that one under advisement.

Ted K.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

grntitan, your advice sure sounds familiar for some reason? Hope you get the shoulder fixed soon too!

Hap

17. skeet_man

I have been to the Grand, in 08. Was there for the better part of 3 days, and not once do I recall hearing a car alarm go off (certainly not your exaggerated example of 1 or 2 going off all day long).

Park behind Harlan's or Kay's or Leo's squad sometime and set your car alarm off or beep the horn (better yet, do it when they're about 195 targets into a 200 straight), I'm going to guess the reception you'll get is not going to be pleasant.

18. grntitan

skeet man,

I would never purposely attempt to distract any shooter. I have shot right behind Leo's squad on more than one occasion and one bank over on another occasion. One thing I noticed about Leo and his whole squad for that matter is they do not stop for anything and I doubt they are even aware of any distractions. Leo goes into his own World and has very intense focus. I would bet he is totally oblivious to anything going on around him.

Maybe in skeet things bother shooters easier.

.......................................................................................

Hap,

I'm always paying attention buddy. I do manage to stop some information from going in one ear and out the other. I'm not the most focused person in the World but i'm definately working on that part. I plan on really using the advice I received from both you and Jimmy Heller on mental aspect of my game.
    grntitan_2009_2503193.jpg

19. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

If the train is as loud as you say, is it setting off targets? I would think that it would be. Now that is a distraction you have to wait for. However, if it's not setting off targets, I'd just call and shoot.

A train is like white noise. It's a constant thing that <I>can</I> be part of the background. I'm never in a hurry to get through a round so, if you wanted to wait, I wouldn't complain. I just wouldn't let it stop me unless it was launching extra targets. If it was doing that, I would have the score keeper turn off the system so as not to waste the resources.

I don't think it's unethical to wait. It's just that I wouldn't. It's sharp, quick that happen just as I'm shooting that bother me. A guy closing his action just after I say pull. A loud laugh just as I call for a target. Those bother me a lot more than any constant sound.

20. cnsane

cnsane Member

Respectfully, if you are shooting a little better than 50%, train noise is not what is causing you to drop the extra targets. But if it's not shooting for money, do whatever your squad will tolerate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.