1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another practice exercise

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

A machine was muching targets, so they slowed it down to the point where targets were dropping about 8 yards short of the stake. Significant. Now these targets were easier to hit, of course. For regular shooters, at this point, if you don't get smoke you can call it a miss. But for a new shooter, I think slowing the machine down is actually better practice than straight aways.

I can't shoot straight aways because I start looking at the gun - I know where the target is going.

With a slower target, you get all the angles, but an easier target. Will have to try it with the next new person. We get them alot lately.

Joe

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you don't shoot registered or league targets I guess it sounds OK, Joe.

But what you are trying to do in practice for either of those cases is match trigger pull mental command to gun position relative to the target. And 40-yard targets will teach you the wrong timing. So what's the point?

Shooting straightaways is, I agree, a limited-value project. But you can set the trap to a max angle right or left and stop the trap's swing. Then start on the straight one, and move to the greater angles to train your body to match the placement of the gun on each kind of shot. Continue with the other max angle.

Have you gotten your Mach-1 yet?

Neil

3. joe kuhn

The point is to get a new shooter looking at the targets and get some significant success as soon as possible. Then go up to normal speed.

Johnny's friend went with to the club the other day and he missed about 15 targets, but broke the next 6 in a row when he started doing as I suggested - look at the target all the time, swing to it and pop it. I waited and kept loading up the gun until the concept kicked into his brain. Nice smooth shooting and breaks. He was thrilled. Took a target and two empties home with him.

I'm looking for ways to help kids like this.

I do like your max angle idea. Lately concentration is my biggest concern.

The Mach-Kuhner is in the truck. Should have it any today, maybe Monday. Good to hear from you.

4. joe kuhn

It helped me Neil. I shot better than my average with normal settings the next time out.

Feedback and success - that's what this improves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.