1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another POI Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 687_SP_II, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I am shooting a JE Beretta 687 top single. I have to float the birds more than I want. Is there anything I can do to not have to float the birds so high? The gun has an adjustable comb and recoil pad.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

How much rib do you see when you mount the gun, put your face where you usually do, and look down the rib? Lined-up beads? "Stacked" beads? Separation between the beads? Is the comb adjustable and as far down as it can go?

Neil

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Lower comb or increase height of front sight. HMB

4. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

When I mount the gun I do not see any rib between the beads, I have the beads stacked. ( figure 8 )

5. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

The comb is not all the way down. There is about 3/16 spacer under the comb.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Assuming you can drop the comb to line up the beads, you can lower the POI-at-the-bird (say) four inches. The drawback is you lose some of the help in pointing the gun that actually seeing the rib gives you.

We are guessing, you are probably guessing as well, that the gun really does shoot high. But neither of us knows that for certain, and so we risk making the wrong diagnosis.

Try shooting it at 13 yards off a bench, taking several shots, each at a different aiming-make on paper. Maybe (1) It is shooting high as you suspect than then we can offer more specific help. or (2) It is not shooting very high at all and what you see is (a) illusion (that's very persuasive in this game) or, alternatively, (b) fact due to your habit of shooting the birds too slowly.

Off-hand shooting will not work; it must be off a benchrest.

Neil

7. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Thanks for the help. I will be at the range this weekend.

8. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

687_SP_II ...... (1) Remove the spacer, (2) Put the gun on a pattern board from a rest, just like you would set POI of a new scope on a rifle except at 13 yards, (3) make all adjustments at that yardage for desired POI, (4) move back to 24 - 38 yards and check POI, (5) If POI is not as desired start over at (2) and try again & you have to break some clays in there somewhere for a true evaluation, if not what you want try again. There is no magic number for POI in relation to POA, you have to set it to suite yourself, along with the final yardage that is used for evaluation.

9. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I shoot the same gun, and yes the JE 687 spII does shoot high, I have to concentrate on floating or seeing a gap under the birds. I have adjusted to it and just shoot that way, but if you wanted to change it, the only things that come to mind are lowering the comb a little and get used to seeing the rear bead slightly tucked into the front bead, or having another rib made for it that is adjustable.
    dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.