1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another POI question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pilotdan, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pilotdan

pilotdan Member

I know that it has been discussed adnauseum, but help me understand something. On prior threads I have seen advise about checking POI from 13 yards. I don't think I care where my gun shoots at 13 yards, do I?

At 27 yards, if I break a target 12-15 yards from the house, the shot is a 39-42 yard shot. What I really think I need to know is that at that range, my Guerini unsingle is shooting about 70/30, from an off-hand, natural position, not a bench rest.

Am I on the right track here? Thanks, Dan

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Dan, the prupose of the bench and 13-15 yds. is a starting point to determine if your gun is shooting on horizontally and distance above or below POA.

If you are centering targets from the 27yd.line, then I wouldn't worry about it. If it's not broke don't fix it. Steve

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

It's also easier to check POI from 13 yards. If you are shooting 2" high at 13 yards, that's 6" high at 39 yards, and a 70/30 shooter. Want to try higher. Set your POI at 3" high at 13 yards. That's 9" high at 39 yards and an 80/20 shooter. What could be simpler?

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Dan,
    The reason they suggest using a bench rest is because alot of trap shooters do not shoot very well offhand. But if you are an experienced rifle marksman skilled in shooting offhand there is no problem doing it your way. HMB

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Along with all the above, It's pretty hard to accuratly identify the center of the pattern at longer ranges.

Jim

6. pilotdan

pilotdan Member

Guys- Thanks for your respones. I was using the offhand method because I thought that it would more closely mimick how I shoot in terms of stacking the beads, or actual shooting conditions. Thanks.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

It does Dan, but it intoduces errors at long range.

I do all my POI "testing" at short range. Certainly not more than 20 yards. I use a bench with a rest and aim while I'm trying to find out where the barrel shoots, and if it is correct. I stand and point at targets 13-15 yards away when i want to see where i shot the barrel. I only test one thing at a time. I draw vertical and horizontal lines on the paper. Then I stand in my normal stance, mount the gun and track a vertical line. After I pull the trigger, I look for left/right distances. When I'm done I do the same for horizontal lines checking for up/down differences.

After that, I know where the barrel shoots, and where i shoot it, and can take it from there.

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Botton line.....If you KNOW your gun shoots 70/30 at 27 yds, you are OK if there is no windage problem. But you won't know for sure if you miss occassionally due to a windage problem. Shoot 13 yds benchrest to find out.

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hello:
    a guy at the gun club said to find out the true poi, bench rest the shotgun and shoot a slug.
    steve balistreri

10. pilotdan

pilotdan Member

Thanks, everyone- I understand better now. I will sight in from a bench at 13 yards tomorrow, observe the actual POI, and then based on that measurement, I can calculate what my POI would be at 39-42 yards, i.e.: if 4" high at 13 yds, then 12" at 39 yds, etc. From there, I can adjust my rib up or down to acheive my desired POI, such as 12-15" at handicap range. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.