1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Organized Labor Thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Recoil Sissy, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Gentlemen:

I have no interest in nor do I participate in non-specific union bashing. When I have a bone to pick, I say so. Following are links to two organized labor stories that give me heartburn. Feel free to defend either if you're so inclined.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/24/tsa-screeners-set-choose-union-following-public-sector-trend/

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/seiu-locals-including-chicago-chapter-wa

I would respectfully request anyone wishing to engage in generalized union bashing please take it to the other thread.

sissy

2. shelly

shelly TS Member

How about privitazed union bashing?

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

well dont matter what side your on. 7% tells you something Massy wiped out umwa and toyota wiped out the uaw

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

There is no need to bash the unions, their actions speak for themselves!

5. chourico

chourico TS Member

No unions no middle class!!

6. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Must be a mighty small middle class.

7. SALPICAO

SALPICAO TS Member

YOU NON UNION PEEPLE ARE SOME JEALOUS MOFO'S, GET A LIFE

8. SALPICAO

SALPICAO TS Member

YOU NON UNION PEEPLE ARE SOME JEALOUS MOFO'S, GET A LIFE, UNIONS HELP THE LITTLE GUYS HAVE SOME TYPE OF SECURITY

9. timberfaller

Where and how? I've never seen it!

My life started once I got out of the union mineset.

10. sharpshooter58

sharpshooter58 TS Member

If anyone is interested without all the name calling and such,
    If you love your vacation...Thank a union member.
    If you like your paid sick leave....thank a union member.
    If you like your pension or 401K....Thank a union member.
    If you like your coffee breaks....thank a union member.
    If you like having clean and sanitary bathrooms.............

Well, I think the fairly intelligent here, will get my point. ALL of these (and many, many more) benefits,extras,perks, ...What ever you choose to call them were FOUGHT and paid for by my union brothers and sisters of the past.
    I for one am very grateful for there courage and sacrifice. A lot of blood was spilt back in the day, so every man could make a decent "LIVING" wage for a reasonable amount of hours worked and go home in one piece to his family.

Those of you that continue to bash, badmouth, or B**** about unions are, IMHO are either ignorant, uniformed, unreasonable, A business owner, that wants more and more profit off the sweat of there employees, but doesn't want to pay for it, or your just plain jealous.

Kurt, inside wireman,I.B.E.W. L.U. 112

11. sharpshooter58

sharpshooter58 TS Member

Oh... and one more thing...I have noticed non of ya'all, be it for or against unions, chose not include your e-mail out there.....hhmmm....wonder why???

Well here is mine, its in the header, if anyone would care to argue (like an ADULT) there point of view. Have at it. I've been a PROUD member of the I.B.E.W. for 32 years.

Now I'm done.

Kurt

12. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Having been a Labor Relations Manager who worked with the CWA and IBEW for 30 years, I will suggest to you readers that there are legitimate viewpoints on both sides. I could write a book here, but I'll try to keep it short and simple.

Much of what we have today in the form of wages and benefits can be attributed to the workers who organized and rebelled against ruthless business owners who had little regard for the financial welfare, health and safety of their workers. From the factories in the northeast to the mines in Harlan County, men were dying to try and feed their families on peanuts. The men who managed on the front lines didn't fare that much better. The profits in the big bucket at the top filtered down to the workers through a straw. Can you spell C-H-I-N-A?
    Unions, over time, changed all this so that, now, the majority of us earn decent wages, with decent benefits, and do so in safe working environments. This is NOT a transition that would have occurred if owners had been left to their own devices. We would otherwise look as China looks today - a nation of impoverished people at the mercy of the fat cats on top. Even if you aren't, or never have been a member of a union - you owe them for the standard of living that you enjoy. Chances are many of your fathers, mothers, grandfathers and great grandfathers were union members.
    So who do we blame for our economic predicament? Greedy companies? Greedy unions? Greedy Wall Street bankers? Corrupt career politicians? The answer is - yes.

Like I said above, I could write a book about all this, but since the subject here is unions, I will submit to you that, with the exception of a few industries, union workers, in general, are not living in the lap of luxury. To find that, you have to look higher... higher... higher...

13. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

From the "blame list" I left out greedy lawyers and horrible laws that cost American businesses trillions of dollars in ridiculous lawsuits to which most foreign businesses are not exposed - therefore saving them huge amounts in insurance savings and, in combination with cheap labor, allowing them to price goods well below their American competitors - which is why we buy their stuff. How could I have forgotten...

14. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Hmmm,,,,I must be jealous,,,,what a stupid statement,,,,I work on a commission and make a decent living through NO help of a union....

The main problem that I see in many union is they are so spiteful and a business will close because they can't afford all those "wonderful" things that the union demands,,,,for all of you that praise the union; how many companies have left this country because of THEM,,,,,how many goods are bought from China et. al due to the fact that many consumers can't or won't pay the high prices of goods due to the union???? If your union can FORCE companies to pay more,,,,why do companies leave the country,,,,why don't the unions FORCE them to stay????

Yes, unions, at the turn of the 20th century, did get work conditions improved, but there are now LAWS that prevent this....

15. shelly

shelly TS Member

Sissy, you are a sly dog.

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

It has gone beyond union vs non-union.

If you are employed doing anything that can be imported efficiently you have little hope of a sustainable future. And there is nothing we can do about it.

A house or factory cannot be wired, plumbed, fitted or assembled "off-shore". but many of the components can be are are being imported.

Health care cannot be done "off-shore". But the equipment and drugs can be produced anywhere.

The US cannot impose trade barriers to Chinese imports as they are our largest "investor". The Chinese have surpassed us in education especially in the critical fields of mathematics, and science. There "technocrats" are smarter, they have more of them, and they will work at 10-20% the wage our college graduates expect.

We shop everyday day at Walmart. Look where the crap comes from. and they are the largest retailer in the world.

We use "off-shore" primers in our reloads to save $30/5000. $.15 a box!!!

Unions can not protect you if the work can be moved off-shore. There will be more pressure to use non-union contractors to reduce costs and more people willing to work for non-union contractors as there are no other jobs.

Most unions will shrink and or die. Our standard of living will drop.

Don Verna

PS A poll for union members. How many of you use "off-shore" primers? If you do, why should we pay more for the goods YOU produce?

PPS A poll for everyone. How many would buy "premium shells" from China at $50/flat.

See my point?

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Seiu is a rabble rousing bunch of pukes.

Government employees should not be able to unionize. They already have the leaders looking out for them.

Blue Flue and the like are reprehensibler actions, punishing the general public to put their noses deeper into the trough. Ask the family of the lady that died in New york while the plows were driving around with the blade up in protest.

JMO

HM

18. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

halfmile:

I'm sure you remember but for the benefit of those who don't, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) and ACORN were both founded by Odummy's big buddy Wade Rathke. Rathke got his start as an organizer for the National Welfare Rights Organization (NWRO) in the People's Republic of Massachusetts.

Why a big buddy? Because SEIU contributed $27 million to Odummy's campaign. That doesn't include manning phone banks and conducting fraudulent voter registration scams - which were followed by voter fraud - by it's members on behalf of Odummy.

I suspect at least a few ts.commers will remember SEIU members were enthusiastic and well organized supporters of the lib dem's plan to take over of 1/6th of the U.S. economy in the form of socialized medicine aka, Obamacare. Some may also remember documented examples of SEIU members dressed in purple engaging in physical violence in support of socialized medicine.

Now the Ogumbi administration is busy exempting SEIU locals from the very provisions of socialized medicine that they so enthusiastically supported. What's up with that??

However... The SEIU may, as you say, be "a rabble rousing bunch of pukes" but what makes them any less deserving to organize for the purpose of collective bargaining under the National Labor Relations Act of 1935?

SEIU locals represent 1.8 million workers. Among MANY other things they represent 'rent a cop' security personel, motel room cleaning workers, and nursing home workers. These are honest and important jobs. They are jobs held by men and women trying to feed their families and education their children.

Why are these folks less important than IBEW electricians, plumbers, Teamsters, IAM or UAW members? Why would you begrudge them and government employees the opportunity to organize for more money, expanded benefits and
    better working conditions? Surely you aren't suggesting that they are somehow less deserving than you.

sissy

19. timberfaller

You can't put all the blame on the unions for driving industry's overseas. The other culprit is our own government, OVER taxation help them over the edge!

If there is anything to "thank" the unions for its called Inflation! The closed shop business's had to keep their workforce to stay in business. So they accepted the demands of the unions and just past it on to the comsumers.

The examples the unions are putting forth now are hurting their believed cause. The one halfmile reminded us of and lets not forget SEIU and their actions, let alone their leadership!

You think flying now is a pain, wait and see what its like if the TSA jokers are allowed to unionize!!

One of the biggest mistake made in this country was allowing "public servants" to become unionized, that include's the NEA! We are now 31st in the world in educateing our kids! THANKS NEA union! Please thank a union member today.

20. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The problem is not with unions per se; it is with union leaders. They have very cushy jobs and want to keep them. That is why they foment trouble because without trouble, why would anyone need (or want) them? So they try to coerce employers into "better" work rules, more pay, more benefits even if it eventually causes the employer to close or to move.

Union leaders are like all politicians - their first job is to stay in power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.