1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another one eye question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Why put dots/tape or anything on your lens? Why not just close your eye?

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Some people do...

but I find that after closing one eye 50 or so times in succession I have trouble closing the one without affecting the other. I also find it more comfortable to be able to have the peripheral vision of the "dotted" eye.

MK

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I tried closing the off eye but found myself cheating and trying to take a peek with the closed eye. also closing the off eye does encourage squinting of the main eye. Make sure that the dot/tape is low enough that raising the head somewhat does not allow you to see the target with the off eye. That wil start a habit that is disasterous and hard to break. the dreaded head lift.

Bob

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

When I shot right handed I had to one eye it because my left eye was very dominate. As long as I could keep my left eye closed I did not have too much of a problem (AA-27HC) But probably 90% of my missed targets were caused by my left eye opening. When my left eye opened all I could see was the side of the barrel with no idea as to barrel/target relationship. That is more than likely the reason many one eyed shooters use tape. I went to left hand. After a while lefty started to feel normal but the learning curve was tough on moral. Looking at a target with both eyes open for the first time was truly amazing. Marc

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

When I shoot a 100 targets with one eye closed I find it very tiring. I am just more relaxed with both eyes open with a magic dot.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Because closing one eye can cause a loss of up to 20 per cent of the vision in the other eye. HMB

7. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

I've been seeing posts like this quite a bit lately. I don't like the tape or dot on glasses because it isn't consistant and hinders your vision possibly causing losing sight of or hesitating on targets. What I tried for a while that seemed to work well was to get a thin piece of plastic or aluminum, .020-.030 thick and cut it about 4" long and 1/2" wide. Place this along the side of the rib about 2" back from muzzle. When you put your cheek on the stock, it should block out the front bead when you close your right eye, if you are right handed. You can move it to the best place for you and work on the height to what fits you. You can do the same thing with a milk shake straw and put it on the top of the barrel. Once you find out what works best, then you can use aluminum, brass, plastic, etc. This will allow you to keep shooting with both eyes and help keep your eyes from coming back to the front bead. If done right with thin enough material, you won't even know it is there when you put the gun up.

8. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Yep it is cheating to peek that maybe the problem.... Try it to see if you like it!!!

9. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I have a cross dominate eye, or worse, as I got older, two eyes that fight over dominance and shift back and forth in a micro second. I have wasted the last two years, even going to the extreme of shooting left handed. I have tried all, and I mean all, the remedys. Only one consistantly works. Close one eye. I have no trouble seeing and reading the target with one eye and I'm 67 years old. Forget that crap about blocking out the front bead, it's the target you are (should) be looking at. The older you get the worse the problem will be. Ever hear of "Occams Razor"? The simplest solution is always the best solution. Save you a ton of money too. gyrine

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

jktphd- I thought Bell's Phenomenon was a defense reaction that occurred only behind closed eyelids in normal people. Will closing one eyelid result in a bilateral rotation?

Pat Ireland

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I struggle with this also. This past weekend I was shooting considerably below my average, having trouble seeing the target and felt like I wasn't one with my trusty old 3200. Towards the end I decided to close my off eye (left) and the target looked much clearer!

For me with the occlusion and both eyes open there's always a fuzzy image. I've shot some very good scores this way though. Lately it's been ugly...

My poor performance this weekend has me wondering if I should try winking the off eye for an extended period of time, working my way through my dip in performance with the usual both open occluded method, or try something else.

In the past when I've tried two open and no occlusion, I had no concept of where either of the two barrels I saw in my periphery were in relation to the target--and missed a ton.

I told my wife Aline on the way back from the shoot this Sunday that she attended the event with my alter ego--the one who can't shoot for squat. I asked her to invite the good shooting version next time she wants a shooting partner. That other dude is a pain in my rear!

Guy Babin

One, or two of two...

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Why do we always hear of CLOSING the off eye or taping the lens? Why not merely squint it partly closed after acquiring the target with both open? That act would force the alignment with the pointing eye, does with mine. How would anyone know this doesn't work without giving it an honest try? Try it while sitting at your computer, if it works there it will work with pointing a shotgun also.

Hap

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap- It would work well if one could remember to squint while the target is in the air. Even if I could do that, I could never remember which eye to squint.

Pat Ireland

14. laura!

laura! Member

I've started using electrical tape. It aint pretty, but it stops me from trying to see through the tape.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pat, just pretend the target is a pretty gurl?? :)

Why not give it a try if the off eye offendth thee? A few of your buds say you sometimes close both, what's up with that? LOL

Hap

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

My dear Laura, anything TPW does is... well perfect, and very comely if I may add. If only my prowess was as great as yours on the trap field.

How did you and your clan shoot this past weekend? Will we see youall in Thurmont this weekend?

L,

Guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.