1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another O/T Fluorescent light troubles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

Have a troublesome fluorescent light fixture. Light on right is noticeable dimmer than the one on left. I changed ballasts and have replaced bulbs, but still dim. Sometime 1 bulb does not light at all, but after a while it comes on, but then it never gets as bright as it should. Not many parts in these things to go wrong, so what can I do next?

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check for some resistance in the circuit to the dimmer fixture. It could be that there is a slight voltage drop in the wiring, or if they are on different circuits, the switch.

3. fieldgrade

fieldgrade TS Member

Try the bulbs on the left in the fixture on the right. Check all your connections, expecially the white ones, (neutrals). Make sure you have 120 volts, or close to what your voltage is at your electrical panel.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Might be a bad tombstone. (bulb holder). Make sure there is good contact where the wires go to the brass contact strip. Better yet, ohm it from the ballast to the strip.

HM

5. firemankelly

firemankelly TS Member

Make sure you have the right ballast...Ballasts are for normal...high output (HO) or very high output (VHO)....

6. twopipe

twopipe Member

some electronic ballasts required rewiring the sockets to a different configuration

7. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

The most likely source of the problem with the condition you are describing since you have replaced lamps and ballast will be the wire connection in the tombstone. Check that all the wires are in the tombstone correctly and have a tight fit. Possibly one wire is pushed in to deep and not getting a good connection.

Dale Z

8. new loader

new loader Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. So far, I know it is not the bulbs. I tried changing to bulbs I know are good, and no difference. The ballast is correct replacement, so it's not that. I fiddled with the tombstones, but the wires won't come out. Looks like when you push them in, that's where they stay. I guess I'll go get some replacements and try those. You guys are very helpful.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Turn off power and clean lamp pin contacts on the tombstone. Be sure to clean the contact surfaces, not just what you can see. Scraping with a small flat edged screwdriver works. Clean contacts on the lamps. If that doesn't fix it, check spring tension on the contacts. You may have to bend them out a bit to engage the lamp pins securely. 99 of 100 times, these two approaches cure the problem.

10. new loader

new loader Member

I tried to clean connections per zzt instructions before going any further, but now 1 bulb will not light at all. How do these thing work? If I remove the bulb, the remaining bulb will not light. This tells me there is some connection through the dark bulb, but not sufficient? Very puzzling.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

new loader

If it got worse after cleaning the tombstones, you might have found your problem. If that was the last thing you did and it had an effect, positive ot negative, that would be a good place to explore further. Replacements can be purchased and swapped out. I would have replaced the entire fixture before going to the extent that you have already. Time is also worth something, not to mention the aggravation. If the fixture was replaced and the problem remained, it would also tell you that the problem lies elsewhere.

12. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

In your last picture the end of the lamp looks dark. Maybe you got a bad lamp. Make sure the wiring is as per diagram on ballast. The older t12 fixtures (as shown) require both lamps are good before both will light. The newer T8's with electronic ballast only 1 lamp is needed to light the fixture.

Dale Z

13. B V

B V TS Member

Check the wiring diagram on the ballast and make sure the correct high voltage wire (usually red and blue are the high voltage wires) is connected the the correct bulb. White neutral to one end of the lamp and the color shown on the diagram to the other end of the same lamp. If they are reversed one lamp may not light or light dimly. Swap wires or remove end cap from the fixture and slide sockets out and reverse their postions.

14. new loader

new loader Member

Viola! Let there be light! BV has the solution. For some reason the sockets were incorrect. How they got that way is a mystery to me, but that did the trick. Thanks to all for taking time to offer good advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.