1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another newbie question: what is a flinch?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lel4866, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lel4866

lel4866 Member

When I first head the term "flinch", I assumed it meant your trigger finger inadvertently pulled the trigger before you really wanted it to.

Now I'm beginning to think I may have the following two types of "flinch" occasionally:

1) Jerking the barrel right before I pull the trigger after I get my desired sight picture.
    2) Having the force of my pulling the trigger pull the barrel down.

So what is typically meant by flinch? Seems the go to advice is a release trigger.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Your definitions apply to me before I got a release trigger but another common definition of flinch is the inability to Pull the trigger when you want to because of some kind of a subconscious mental block. Golfers call it "yips" and I forgot what archers call it. In reality the jerking of the forend down or to the left could be the result of a crossfire where the off shoulder eye suddenly decides to take over.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It's not being able to pull the trigger and nearly coming out of your shoes trying to but your head just wont let you. A release trigger usually fixes it but I know folks that get to the point where they can't even set the trigger anymore. I've been lucky and don't flinch.

I do have a hiccup once in a while but no true flinch.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Something I aquired 40 years ago and not in a bedroom!!

5. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I saw a fellow experence this once. He went to pull the trigger and couldn't. Hard to explain but that's what I saw.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

It's your brain telling your finger not to pull back that trigger bar or your body will hurt.

When this happened sub-consciously, and the other part of your brain couldn't figure out what's going on, it's call flinch.

Why this "mostly" happened among ATA shooters, I couldn't explain.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Of the top 200 excuses for missing a target....A flinch is # 1 on the list. Because nobody can explain it or prove it. How much money has been won by the Big Dogs shooting a release?

Wayne

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Miketmx defined flinch as, "the inability to pull the trigger when you want to because of some kind of a subconscious mental block."

That's basically right. It often manifests itself by causing the shooter to try to pull the trigger using his entire hand. Many afflicted shooters immediately resort to a release trigger and later regret it (ask MIA). A good pistol grip and a firmly locked-in gun mount can often remedy the problem. If not, adding a recoil reduction device or using lighter loads help further. After all, you don't need 3-dram loads from short yardage.

-Gary

9. RayReys

RayReys Member

Is it weird that I have a flinch when it comes to handguns but none with shotguns or rifles?

I tried a S&W 617 at the local range/shop after dros-ing a shotgun today, and still had a bit of a flinch for the first few cylinders. On the shot I jerk the gun a bit and shoot high left or low left(southpaw). Don't shoot handguns much, but it happens a lot when i do. I have to try and mentally relax and force myself not to anticipate.It's not that I can't pull the trigger, it's that I expect recoil and 'flinch' on the shot..

Its what I get for shooting a .44 mag as a kid and getting bit by it on more than one occasion-

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Never realized I had a flinch until I shot my bow. Very severe case of TARGET FRIGHT, OR PANIC! Pulling the trigger on the release, once I got the sight on the target was impossible. The string would lunge forward, and damn near yank my arm out of socket, or I would miss the target by three feet at 20 yds., if I was able to pull the trigger. I would have to concentrate so hard not to lose it when that dot hit the target. Finally cured it by concentrating on the tight grip of the bow hand. Seemed to short circuit the brain into working on something else to concentrate on, instead of the trigger finger.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The OP wrote about his flinch: "1) Jerking the barrel right before I pull the trigger after I get my desired sight picture. 2) Having the force of my pulling the trigger pull the barrel down."

At this early stage it may be possible to overcome the beast by learning how to slap the trigger. When you call for the target have your trigger finger in the trigger guard but Not actually touching the blade. When you are ready to shoot Pull the trigger aggressively without trying to squeeze the trigger like on a rifle. Good Luck

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It's a failure to fire and should result in a "lost target"...

Hand grenades and machine guns are for those that are afflicted!!

Curt

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I helped my flinch by installing "Carey Comb" recoil suppressors on my trap guns.

Nadine Ljutic wrote a scientific explaination of the flinch. You might call her at Ljutic Industries and ask for a copy. Ljutic LLC [509] 248-0476

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.