1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another model 12 value?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MikeGrahn, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeGrahn

MikeGrahn Member

I looked at a Model 12 the other day. Original owner Serial no. 1,167,xxx. The old story shot 7 shells killed 5 roosters but this one is legit. Was won at a local townfest in 1958.12ga. 30in. full, plain barrel. This one is as new! I showed it to Pat Laib and he just smiled and said another wore out 12. Didn't ask value. Owner would take $450.00. What do you think? Thanks Mike

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Mike: If you don't want it contact me at the above email. I will take it. Ed

3. MikeGrahn

MikeGrahn Member

Thanks Ed. I think thats what I wanted to hear. I'll show your response to the wife, it should help. Mike

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

A serial number of 1,167,xxx means a 1948 gun but still, a plain jane model 12 in 12 gauge. Anything less than unfired and in the box is worth less than 400 bucks. The fact that Winchester made something like 2 million model 12s (and most of them are still around) holds the "value" down.

5. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Buy it, good clean guns are getting hard to find even field guns. Around this area a 80% field gun will bring that price.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I'd be a buyer at 450 for sure sound like a nice gun and for my money a great find.

7. MikeGrahn

MikeGrahn Member

Sorry, my bad the serial no. was 1,761,xxx it's in my safe already. Thanks Mike.

8. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

QUOTE FROM ABOVE --- "Anything less than unfired and in the box is worth less than 400 bucks".

Man, I would like to shop where you do. Model 12's that I run into that are offered for less than $400 are what might politely be called "rough condition". They often have had the barrel cut short and a nice big fat poly choke installed. Sometime in the past, Jethro would have sanded down the stock and refinished it with spar varnish that he carefully applied with a 5 inch paint brush.

He won't lose a lot of money buying "as new" condition for $450.

9. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

gregg535, that is the funny thing about wanting to buy an old gun. I advise that you not go to some gun show and just pay the guy whatever he wants. More than 2 million model 12s were made - why would you pay good money for some pos when there is a widow getting ready to sell old charlie's guns?? Do not be enamored by the "pre 64 model 12" thing. Think - 2 million guns were made and most of them are still with us. But if the gun bug bites you and you just gotta get it - go for it. At the $400 level, nobody gets hurt and if you are going to keep the gun, it does not matter if you spend $300 or $600, as long as you are happy as a buyer. But if you want to talk about actual value - that is a different story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.