1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another MEC??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ExFedex, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Question for those of you that have now converted to the primer feed unit used on the newer 9000 and Grabber models. Is this unit trouble free once set-up and adjusted or does it require periodic adjustments like the older chain drive units? Thanks for your input. Bill H.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It's trouble-free as long as you raise it after filling it. You may forget that once. Otherwise, it works far better than the chain mode. I just put one my spare reloader too.

Neil

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I guess I continue to live in the past but have two of the older/original chain controlled primer feeders and just plain never have an issue - well, I have renewed the chain mechanism on each occasionally with a failure......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

If the old style works for you, then good on you. I find the newer model much more worry free. I find I still need to watch for the primer drop as part of my operational scan, but the new primer feed is MUCH more reliable.

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

I agree,still watch primer drop,also seems mine every now and then moves,just a tad and it does effect primer drop,can't seem to get nut tight enough to keep it from moving creating primer to miss hole and get jambed under drop tube.Still,over all,I think it'd better than old chain model.

Doug H.

6. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

The new model is hands down better than the old one, especially when you own four grabbers with the old style and a hydraulic 9000 and new model Automate 9000, both with the new style. Neal is correct, you will leave the tray down only once after you clean up the mess, but nothing is idiot-proof. I've played and played with the chain models, some worked well but two were always troublesome. Also, the newer will hold 200 primers if you desire.

JMO

Larry

7. stskid

stskid TS Member

Just brought home a new 9000E yesterday and set it up. Ran a case of shells through it and overall no problem with the new design of primer feed. Just like the old chain drive, if you get a primer sitting wrong in the tray it will not drop a primer.

Only complaint is it's a bit more work to fix the tipped primer, but so far I prefer it.

8. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

A hint...use a pencil magnet under the tray and you can separate the primers with little problem. Just don't put it on top of the primers or you'll have them stuck all over the magnet.

Larry

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I seem to prefer the new primer feed, but have no real problems with the chain style either. I like the ease of refilling the tray with the new one. I have changed over most of my "regular" Mecs to the new style. I still have a few older machines that may get converted if I take them out of mothballs. I still have a few machines that have the old "Tube" style feeds. They would be a certain candidate for the changeover if I were to begin using one. I usually keep an eye on the primer as it drops. It's a habit that you get when you load on a Mec.

10. Landshark

Landshark Member

I have both styles and the newer primer feed is the way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.