1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another MEC Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Resizing the Rio, Top Gun, Remington Gun Clubs, When firing thet are sticking in the Bbl and won't eject, some tighter than others, Rim of the shell is not being resized, shell knocker is not enough weight, have to use a ram rod, Happens in my Caesar, Alferman, Ljutic,.

I reload in MEC 9000H and 8567 Grabber, which is a 9000 series w/o auto indexing.

Mec said to lower the Collett 1/2 turn and try that.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

I think all those are steel, not brass, and they may not be sized to correct dimensions because the steel "rebounds" more than brass.

Jed

3. shootman

shootman TS Member

If they are that tight i would lower it 1/2 to 1 full turn . Iload top guns for 16 yrd. and they shoot fine in my 1187. I load with a 9000G BOB

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

This why I gave up loading hulls with steel rims (Gun Clubs)...even when resizing as much as the MEC collet would provide. Others may disagree. Best Regards, Ed

5. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I have taken my collet out more than once, cleaned it, reinstalled and still get an oblong resize. Not perfectly round anymore. I must have a finger or fingers that are bad, or something, and I am unable to tell, or for the matter, care anymore. I will not remove the damn thing again, and I am not wanting to buy another. I deprime and resize on my old Versa Mec and chuck them in a bucket for later reloading on the 9000. I know, takes longer, but I can have a drink(s) while resizing without worrying about the dreaded double charge, running out of primers, forgetting wad, running out of powder, running out of shot,.....

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Set the collet to size them no larger than .805". You might have to go a touch smaller. Steel will sometimes resize to a different diameter than brass. Make your adjustments accordingly. A tight chamber will make it worse.

7. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Gary,

Do as stated above and get you a shell checker, MEC # 8486.

thanks
    lee

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The steel headed promotional hulls do spring back so they require a tighter setting on the MEC collet. A MEC collet sizer is the only sizer that will resize the steel head.

Get a MEC Super Sizer and you can resize your loaded shells. I know MEC advises not to do this but it does work. Then you will have a decicated sizer for the promo-hulls.

Jim Skeel

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- The problem that you and I have with some discount shells with steel heads has nothing to do with your loading machine. It is a function of our gun chambers. When brass heads are fired the brass expands and then snaps back (resilient). Steel expands but does not go back to it original size as much as brass. Guns with slightly larger chambers allow the steel heads to expand more and become stuck in the chamber. My gun will eject Estates and Top Gun shells all of the time. It will eject other discount shells some of the time, and a few brands of discount shells will never eject from my gun.

If your reloads go into the chamber correctly, your press is doing its job. If they wont come out of the chamber, your chamber is just a little larger than other chambers. The chambers cut with a new reamer are larger than chambers cut later after the reamer is worn a bit.

Pat Ireland

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Hard to believe all three guns are giving problems so it is likely you may not be sizing properly. We shoot Gun Clubs in three K-80's, and a BT-99 with no problems. Reloaded on a PW 800+.

Don Verna

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

What Quack Shot said.

Got a new gun, shells were sticking. Had to readjust the 9000.

FYI Saami spec is .809" for 12 guage chamber.

Problem gone.

HM

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My son and I use Gun Clubs for the first shot of doubles and occasionally some singles practice. Resized on my 9000GN, they never stick in our 870s, 1100s or Beretta 687s as well as the Krieghoffs we used to shoot. Accordingly, I'd guess that a sizer adjustment might correct your problem.

Also, if your collett turns out out-of-round shell heads, a new one might be a good idea.

Ed

13. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have never had a shell problem with my MEC 9000GN. Set the resizer with a shell checker from MEC. Make sure you lube the collet.

I reload gun clubs all the time and shoot a CG Summit trap, Magnus sporting and a Beretta 687 and a 682

14. maka

maka Member

I don't know about other brand guns, have a friend who shoots a Ljutic. Steel hull shells always stuck. Sent gun to Ljutic. Gun was completely gone over. Still has occational problems. Sent loader to Mec, was told collet was working and set correctly. Go figure?

15. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I set my buddy up with a new Sizemaster. He is green as grass to reloading and only target shooting a bit more than 6 months. He's been saving up some Gun Clubs and Game Loads, gave him some STS's and all have re-sized and shot well. His chamber is the go, no-go gauge.

The adjustment they told you about sounds right. Resizing problems and MEC's usually don't exist.

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Life's to short to reload steel base hulls for me. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

17. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

What Pat said is the Gospel! Larger chambers tend to let steel based hulls expand and stick in certain chambers. I have had several Ljutics and a couple of Krieghoffs that the steel based hulls stuck in. I have some that didn't. I had one of my favorite Ljutics rechambered to a smaller diameter and the sticking problem went away and did not come back.

18. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I polish the chambers in my Berettas so they don't stick......on a couple I have had to open them up a bit.

gun clubs are great hulls.

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec 9000 brass problems
mec 900gn primers getting wedged in turret

mec brass wad crimp for mec 9000gn

mec sizemaster sizing problems
sizing issues with mec 8567