1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another MEC issue !

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I have a 28 Ga. MEC Grabber - which won't produce a good shell. I have 3 other Grabbers and when the handle is in the "up" position it is approximately at a 1 o'clock position.

The 28 ga handle, however, when at rest is at almost a 9 o'clock position and when pulled down while reloading travels almost all the way to the reloading bench.

It would almost seem the handle has been bent - but for the life of me I can't imagine how that could have occurred.

Anyone know of a source that "rebuilds" reloaders other than the factory or any other suggestions ?

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

birddog1964 on here.

His name is Lee and he rebuilds them.

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I think that a guy on this board that calls himself mecman repairs/reconditions Mec presses. Good Luck

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Are you sure the handles aren't broken? They have a tendency to crack/split at the bends forward of the pivots. A new handle is about ten bucks or so, last time I bought them. The cracks are not always easy to see, but if you look carefully, you can see or feel them, more so with the handle held down. If you replace the handles, replace the link hardware in the rear also.

5. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Depending on what model you have, the newer 8567's or 9000 have a different metal than they use to and if you load a lot of shell and or the collet binds it will put more stress on the handle and cause it to bend witch in turn it will not let you get a full down stroke. I do any and all repairs on mec loaders with free est and would be glad to help you in any manner that I can, my # is 423-743-9233 if I can assist you any further.

thanks
    lee

6. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Look at the top plate if the handle has marked the plate (shined it up) the handle is bent.

But to be at a 90 degree angle it is really bent. Compare your handle to one of your others.

It sounds like a new handle, and primary bolts that go through the top plate. It will be good as new.

Take care,

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.