1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another MEC 9000 problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I recently moved with the help of friends. I sat down today to reload some shells and the Shell Lifter won't come up to the top. I can't find my manual to see if the problem is listed and I'm sure this question has come up before in some form or another. Can anyone help me or do I need to provide more information. I put a empty in to see what would happen and it just deprimed the shell. The lifter IS properly located between the fingers. Dave

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Is it between the finger underneath? Raise it up and move the arm to make sure it is in place and then drop the lifter back down and insure that it goes between the fingers. Jackie B.

3. Dave P

Yes it is as I believe I stated in my last sentence.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Dave, you will find this hard to believe, but I think the resizer is stuck closed because of a shot or something between the body and the collet. It seems impossible, I know. A swat with a soft hammer will free it and then all you have to do is find the offending bit of material and dispose of it.

Neil

5. Carl7650

Carl7650 TS Member

Dave
    Check the wad finger rod. pull it up by hand and see if the top C clip is in the bottom slot,,,,if not that could be your problem.Becarefull with the clip,,it is small and can get away from ya very ease.

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Is the part in the bottom of the collet? It will fall out if unit was up side down

7. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The shell lifter must go on the yoke that is mounted at the bottom of the wad guide rod. It probably fell off during the move.

The url is where to get another manual.

8. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Here's another one should all the above fail to correct the problem. Sometimes the ID of the collet will actually close up just enough to prevent the hull from dropping all the way down. This happens over time. A remedy I found was to remove the collet, clean it thoroughly, and expand it using an extended socket wedged down inside the collet held overnight with a large "C" clamp. MECs answer to this was to replace the collet, but they are about $45 plus S&H. I did this successfully on two different 9000G machines. Good hunting.

9. shark1

shark1 Member

MECS have problems to say the least. Call the support team and go over it with them. If they suggest doing some thing then listen to what is being said. I replaced many parts on my 9000G. It is working like new. I still am going to replace it because they are always having some sort of problem. They only last 50-75k for reloading and then need a lot of parts. The support is very good from MEC. My rebuild cost 75 dollars I believe. Still cheaper than a new machine. You get what you pay for!
    Michael Sharkey, DC

10. Dave P

Thanks for all the suggestions. However, I still have the problem after following all your ideas (I think).

The lifter IS between the fingers(Shell Lifter Bracket part # 8563)

I didn't need to hit it with a mallet as stroking the handle showed the Collet # 8080 opened and closed.

The "C" Clips #616A are ALL in place however I failed to mention that the Shell Carrier # 615 was not turning when the handle was lifted but DID rotate when I manually pushed up on Lower Cm Bracket #8651 but I can't see what is supposed to actuate the lifting of this bracket.

Bob K I don't understand what you mean when you say the Shell Lifter must go ON THE YOKE. I found my manual and I looked on MEC's site and don't see any reference to a YOKE.

The MEC site has a place to e-mail them with questions and problems and call them as suggested if necessary.

Thanks again Dave P

11. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Mine hung up once because powder and shot was jammed in the lifter and the collet. Make sure its clean...Bill

12. Dave P

I did and it is clean

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Hey, here's an idea, Dave P. Scan your eyes up a bit, just below the bottles. There is a pair of vertical flared alloy tubes, the ones the shot and powder drop into. Iv'e seen one of these somehow get forced higher than proper and l blocking the expected rise of the turret. I don't remember how to fix it; maybe just pushing it back down or loosening something so you can. It's easy, though.

Neil

14. DanLee

DanLee Member

Go to the MEC website and download the manual for your model. It has a troubleshooting section.

15. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Please check to make sure the shell lifter is adjusted properly.

Loosen lock nut (part # 461A) on Rod (part # 856112 Rod Wad Guide mounts on). This rod is threaded and the (part # 8563)Shell lifter bracket needs to be adjusted up until level with top of the (part # 808012) collet when the hanldle is raised to its highest point then tighten lock nut 461A.

Regards

W&W

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

MEC would sell a lot of collet to ring resizer kits. IF they had them.

17. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

I had an issue like Neil on a 410. The shot was bridging the tube. Is it clear?

18. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Dave,

On the wad guide rod where it goes through the base at the shell carrier, there
    should be a spring, lower cam bracket, adj nut, and on down to the lock nut and shell lifter bracket. If the adj nut is on {TOP} of the {lower cam bracket} instead underneath it. this will cause these problems you describe.

19. Dave P

This has got to be one of the hardest posts I have had to make. I found the problem! I sat down today on my stool at the reloader and stared at it and all of a sudden it clicked. When we packed it up to move me after my divorce we naturally took off the bottles and tipped them back to do so. We mounted the loader on the bench but I never put the stuff back on before trying it out and naturally that was the whole problem. Jeez, I feel totally stupid for doing that after all these many years of reloading. Thanks all of you for your suggestions and help. I'm sure your wise knowledge and suggestions will still help someone. I hope I didn't waste anyone's time and really feel stupid. Dave P

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Bepop, if a Mec 9000 is to hard for you to understand and master, just say so.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 shot bridging

mec 9000 troubleshooting

mec 9000e problem

mec 9000gn problems

mec 9000gn troubles

mec9000gn trouble shooting

troubleshooting for a shell lifter on an mec 9000