1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

another mec 9000 problem/question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by newcastle, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcastle

newcastle Member

Hi, just picked up a mec 9000 along with auto mate, 12 gauge works fine but I also have a 28 gauge. with 28 gauge hull in the deprime station the hull some how gets sideways and the primer punch comes down on the outside of the shell and smashes it causing quite a mess. Has anyone experienced anything like this. thanks

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Help us out a little; are you trying to load 28 ga shells on your newly acquired 9000 - 12 ga loader?

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It would seem to me that you have a finger in the collet that is either slightly bent or held up by a piec of dirt or lead.

When you pull the handle down the shell tips because it can't go down due to the finger obstructing the collet somewhat. then the punch comes down on the tipped shell.

HM

4. newcastle

newcastle Member

No , I have two 9000 one in 12 and one in 28, when I'm using the 28 gauge along with the auto mate the hull when it starts to drop down to get deprimed and resized it sometimes gets cockeyed and does not drop straight down like it is suppose to, the deprime punch then crushes the outside of the shell. I have had the collet out and cleaned it so there does not appear to be anything in side the collet causing this. thanks

5. newcastle

newcastle Member

Thanks for advise so far, I'm going to lower the shell lifter and check for a bent finger.

6. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I guide the shell in with my fingers, this one action has eliminated all of my problems with the 28 guage 9000. Just a little push stabilizes the shell and insures a complete drop. Just couldn't get the kind of flawless operation that I experience with the 12 guage. Just don't get the fingers caught, I never have yet. The 28 guage doesn't pull very hard, I wonder why one would want an auto mate on one. For me "feel" is important as I process shells and I can identify problems in time to make a correction.

7. srvfan

srvfan Member

I sort of just had a similiar problem my shells tilted a little when
    dropping into the collet and bulged out the shell at the primer end.
    It wound up being the collet was smashed . I replaced it and it has
    never worked better I think it was bad from the factory.......
    Here is a picture of my old collet on left and new on right...
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps...Paul from Ca.

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

You probably have a shot stuck between the frame and the outside edge of one of the collet fingers. Unhook the arm that rotates the shell plate so that you can move the shell plate back and forth to observe the area surrounding the collet fingers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bulged brase on 28 ga 9000 mec

mec9000 primer punch