1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another lead casting question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by snapthecat, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Need information on the wheel weights that are NOT semi-circular with the metal clip, but instead they are square, several connected and with a peel-off and stick back. Are they soft lead or the same as regular wheel weights?
    Thanks

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The ones that were given to me are soft lead.

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Many of the sticky kind are an alloy of zink. Nothing ruins bullets faster than zink in the mix.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

These are typically referred to as 'stick-on weights' or 'truck weights.' There are 'harder' ones too that are typically pure zinc or steel - these will NOT melt easily, in fact they will float and should be skimmed off.

MANY of the stick on weights are alloyed with zinc, and will melt easily - the zinc will plug up the drippers on a shot maker in no time at all.

For cast bullets or sinkers I am not so sure if the zinc is an issue. It is lighter than lead, so these castings will weigh less.

As it melts the zinc alloyed with lead leaves a blue-black scum on the surface of the pot - as I said, this is death to drippers in shot makers.

I could care less for sinkers, but stay away from it for shot.

5. mike bloesl

mike bloesl TS Member

You are so correct, I have this problem with my shot maker. Drippers plug up blue black scum on the melted lead. The question I have is I may mix 1 or 2 of these strap on weights to 30# of lead when I make my lead. Can you tell me the 2 or 3 oz of strap weights contamanate the hole 30# pot.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yes. HMB

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Technically one or two zinc containing weights in a large load of lead should not be a problem. BUT, if you are getting the blue/black scum I suspect you are getting more in there than one or two.

Do you flux your lead???

get a wax toilet ring and add about a one inch section to the lead - mix and stir well. It will take 5 ~ 10 minutes for it to melt, float to the surface, and then congeal all the crap in the pot. The more you stir during this the better.

Get as much of the scum off the surface as you can.

Repeat as necessary. If the lead is really dirty it might take two or three fluxings to clean it.

Do you have a proper ladle for the lead?? You want one with a pour spout to fill your molds. Also, you want the ladle to hold more lead than needed to fill one mold (so some remains in the ladle after the pour). If you pour carefully the last bit of crud will stay on the surface on the ladle and not enter the mold.

Clean lead is happy lead.

I have a second pot that I add the stick on weights to. This one is reserved for casting fishing sinkers only (much needed for the trolling that goes on here...)

Good luck

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

ditto on what omgb said.....don't let 'em get in your bullet alloy!

9. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Zinc weights are becoming more plentiful and they are surely a Royal PITA. I've ruined a 40# pot of bullet alloy a time or two by missing a few in my mix. Most of them are different than the traditional WW's having a more rectangular shape vs the tapered shape of std WW's. Some are also imprinted with a "Zn".The stick on WW's are generally soft lead, though I have found some that are quite hard.

An easy way to check if a "suspect" WW is Zinc is to simply squeeze it with a paiir of diagonal side cutter pliiers. If it's std WW alloy you will make a dent. If it's Zinc you will feel the difference as zinc is MUCH harder.

IF You can add weights slowly and melt your alloy at lower temps the ZINC wt's WILL float to the top and can be removed easily. Tough to do when you are trying to smelt several hundred pounds of weights.

FN in MT

10. mono1393

mono1393 Member

What temp does lead melt at?

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

621.43 degrees F. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.