1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Krieghoff Bites The Dust Today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oleolliedawg, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I just got a report another Krieghoff experienced a catastrophic failure today. Incident occurred at the Rural Sportsmans Gun Club in PA. Shooter is fine but the gun is in pieces. This time a Model 32 receiver was involved-not K-80. Shooter was using Green Dot reloads. I will report all information is 2nd. hand and more may follow!!

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

WOW, its a good thing I had other things to do today. I might have been shooting next to him. It was Dave Schibe's mod 32 that blew. He was using STS hulls and 22 gr. Green Dot. John Allem had left the field to wizz when daves gun blew otherwise he would have been shooting with him, handicap field. Don Wardle told me he seen the gun come apart and the rib made it to the trap house, there were parts all over but on one was hurt thank god.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

AND that's the most important part. I am glad that everyone escaped injury. I suspect that John wasn't the only one who took a wizz about then.

--- Chip King ---

4. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I suppose now the first question is what hull was he using, AA ?
    I know somebody is going to ask so it might as well be me.
    Colonel

5. jhoward

jhoward Member

Toolmaker has already indicated it was an STS hull.

6. shamlin

shamlin Member

Was it a stuck wad?

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Oh oh, the infamous STS hull again. Better stick to AA's!!

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

if the rib flew off- and flew 20 yards or more- there were big time pressure issues when the barrel blew

Gene

9. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Well once again the shooter was shooting reloads. Maybe we should start a thread every time a Perazzi trigger spring breaks, oh wait that is all we would read about lol. But seriously it is a big deal when a gun "blows up" but when it is reloads I would suspect it would have happened in any sporting gun no matter of brand.

Dave

10. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Without knowing what other components were being used, we can't say for sure if the load was too hot, because if you look at different primer and wad combinations with STSs and Green Dot, there are recipes that call for 22 grains of powder. Now, assuming he was using Rem 209s and Figure 8s, 21.5 gr of Green Dot is listed as max, @ 10,700 psi. That is still 800 psi below the max average pressure for a 2 3/4" 12 ga. Would a half grain of powder put him far enough over 11,500 psi to blow up a gun? I doubt it, even if he'd put thousands of slightly over pressure loads through the gun. IMO, something else went wrong.

~Michael

11. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Slick13,
    I agree with you. I accidentally double loaded a sts hull with 40 grs. of green dot once and shot it in a Perazzi TM=1, broke the target and poped open the breech. No damage at all. Kicked like a mule. BRGII

12. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Being PA and winter time, wouldn't suprise me if some rain or snow got into that hull tha last time it was used, and it was still damp when reloaded. BUT, the one time I've been around someone shooting shells that had moisture in them when there were reloaded, he was getting wads stuck in barrels, and a lot of unburnt Red Dot all over the place. He wasn't blowing up his BT-99.

~Michael

13. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I'm not up on Krieghoffs, but aren't K-32s older guns, replaced by the K-80 nearly thirty years ago? I know trap is a high volume game, and there are guns with well over 100,000 shells through them, heck I've read of some with well over 200,000. But doesn't everything have a service life, and at some point every gun is going to fail? I know people want to keep shooting their favorite gun they've had for 30 or more years, but maybe there comes a point when an old gun should be set aside?

~Michael

14. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

There is one component not being mentioned; the primer? What if the primer received a double compound? Can the the manufacturers ever prevent extra compound? 10tenner

15. bgf

bgf Active Member

Why so many K guns coming apart? Even with reloads I would think that a trap gun should withstand them.

Bernie

16. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

BeBop.....ya gatta remember....it is still winter...and they are bored or have cabin fever!

17. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

BRGII: Not doubting your word, as I use bulky powder including Green Dot in my loads for caps! I will go home and stuff 40 grns of green dot in an sts hull with exactly 1 1/8 oz shot and the correct wad! I will measure the space at the top and I will see if there is room to crimp and keep the crimp there! I will play no games with you, but I will bet I cannot get the damn thing closed but I will report my results here for all to see! Tom Rhoads

18. Steven

Steven TS Member

Perhaps the shooter of the Mod 32 put a 3" shell in the gun by mistake ??????? Would that cause the Krieghoff to blow-up?

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

I don't know what made this gun blow apart but I am convinced I know the most common cause of gun explosions.

Over time, working metal can develop numerous very small stress cracks. Once these cracks develop, more weak areas in the metal develop faster. Eventually the strength of the barrel becomes less than the internal pressure and things go bad.

A single event is not likely to cause a failure. It has been shown many times by many different people that blocking the barrel with a wad or even a loaded 20 ga shell will not result in a barrel rupture, unless the barrel has suffered prior damage.

Pat Ireland

20. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Most certainly not doubting or questioning your reasoning Pat, but it's a scarey thought isn't it. I'm beginning to think that is probably the cause of more of them than we realize. Play safe and shoot often while we can, Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

andy duffy krieghoff