1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another K-80 Refinish

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun fitter, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Just thought some may like this one. Takes about 2 weeks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe goldberg

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Nice work, Joe. Thanks for posting.

best...mike

3. shootsome

shootsome Member

GREAT WORK!

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

What kind of finish is it, Joe?

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

What kind of finish is it, Joe?

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It was a real job this one not my typical job. Here's the rundown. Originally I refit the buttstock to the customer and refinished it with my standard process which is to sand all remaining finish off and sand to 280 grit. Which I did. During the process the wood shrank from apparently the original maker using un-dry wood to make the stock. I had to build about 1/32 of finish around where the metal was in order to make the wood to metal fit even since it had apparently dried out in my drying room after I sanded it down to bare wood.

When the customer came to pick up the stock he wasn't happy since the wood on the buttstock was slightly darker than original. I told him that this happens some times and that their is no crystal ball to tell us. Actually indoors where I was working you couldn't really notice but in sunlight there was a difference so I told him I could sand the forend and refinish it but to match it was going to get darker.

He didn't like that Idea and told me he didn't want it unless it was the original color so I told him I thought I could accomplish it but it would take more work and materials which would cost some. Don't ask since it was a unique situation.

Here's what was done the stock sanded back to bare wood and sanded progressively down to 800 grit; the finer you sand the lighter the wood. Once the wood was light enough in brightness the color of the buttstock had to be adjusted. Lets just say the original finish was either yellow or had yellowed. Probably had yellowed since I had not taken the inside finish of the comb off and it was more brown than yellow. I then started spraying light coats of my DuPont clear coat with a golden honey candy additive until the yellow intensity desired was achieved then back to clear coats about 12 double coats in all.

The short answer is this one was a bit different than normal but what do I use?
    A DuPont Aeronautical/Marine performance Coating Similar to Imron.

Joe

7. funski

funski Member

Joe--How can I get a hold of you? Beautiful job!!!!! Jim

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

beautiful work, Joe.

Rollin

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Jim-PM works best and my phone is 609 231 6187. Sometimes hard to reach by phone Can't hear what you said I have earplugs in; but I eventually within a few days I return all calls.

Thanks Rollin Keep em shooting straight.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.