1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another K-80 blows up

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TOOLMAKER 251, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Yesterday at South End gun club in Pa. Frank Snyders K-80 came apart. Was shooting on post 5 when the right side of the receiver wall blew off. Nobody was hurt, yes he was shooting reloads.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

14 of them blew up according to rumor in the last little bit alone--

send all those potentially defective ones to me- I pay top salvage value

regards from the great state of Iowa

Gene

PS they are the safest gun made and tested with the highest proofs of any shotgun I bet

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Rick, I was not there on Sat. when it happened, I only seen today what a K-80 looks like when it fails. John Allem has a Perazzi MX-8 receiver that is much worse then this one.

4. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

TOOLMAKER 251,

By chance, was he firing the top barrel of the over/under when it happened?

5. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

don't blame the gun,blame the reloader!Jack

6. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

All guns are proof tested for pressures way above the normal limit.

Can someone please tell me how you can get that much powder in a reload and not see something is wrong?

Receiver blowing out the side would indicate to me an obstruction in the barrel.

Bo

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

He should have been shooting an H&R according to a thread a while back.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Was the barrel backbored or was the forcing cone elongated by a backyard gunsmith. I hear he was having trouble with his reloader. I also understand it happened at Hamburg-not South End!!

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Where are the pictures? HMB

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

This is a real puzzle to me. The "right side of the receiver wall blew off". The inside of the receiver area should be protected from pressure. If it were not, lots of triggers and barrel selectors would blow off. I can't understand how this would happen.

Pat Ireland

11. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I can't either, Pat.

However, I was shooting trap a few years ago when the Valmet O/U being shot on station 5 let go. It too blew out the right receiver wall and actually pushed the standing breech back into the rear of the action, destroying the stock in the process. The forend was in at least a hundred pieces. The barrels, of course, were toast. Incredinly, the shooter was hardly scratched.

I didn't understand it then, and I still don't. An overcharge of the wrong powder?

12. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

we had an 1100 blow at our club one night, the gun was sent to remington and they determined that it was a week shell, not too much powder. they sent the owner of the gun and the kid he loaned it to each a new 1100 trap.jackmitch

13. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Reloads - a little more dab will do ya!

I had a KX-5 and it never blew up!

38-01615

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

For some reason K-80's are reported to have blown up a lot more than any other gun made. I know one came apart last year at the Indiana State Shoot (not sure if new or reloaded shells were being shot). Someone posted pictures on this site a year or so ago of a K-80 that self destructed. Another case that was reported on this site quite a while back of another K-80 that came apart and Krieghoff replaced the gun.

It would truly be nice if some pictures would be posted of these happenings.

A guy that I shoot with quite often, fires some heavy shells through his Bavarian Suell K-80 with nary a problem. When I say heavy shells, 1 1/2oz of 6's at 1400fps +,I mean real heavy. These are factory loads BTW. Should I be concerned?

ec90t

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is it possible the gun was possessed by demons. HMB

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The harder the metal is, the less it can stand up to repeated high vibrational waves. Tensile strength and metal hardness are different properties. Same principal with a wine glass and the opera singer. Hap

17. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I am a non beliver show ME! Bill

18. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My remington 1100 took a double charge of 700X (34.4 grains) 1 1/8 ounce of shot. Kicked like a mule and broke the target but not the gun.

19. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

I've been shooting K-32s and E-62s for over 30 years. Both standard and high grade. I have never, NEVER, had a problem like the one described here. My Europa 62, a K-32 from Hal duPont, has digested many 3-1/4 dr - 1-1/4 oz Winchester Super Pigeons and the same load in Federal. It has even doubled several times with the Super Pigeon in the bottom barrel and the Federal in the top. NO HARM DONE TO THE GUN. My shoulder, on the other hand.............well, let's just say I called it a day.

Is it possible that the older, softer K-32s are better able to absorb the continued pounding? "Hap MecTweaks" mentioned that in his post. It's possible, I suppose!

Either way, I'll just keep shooting my old K-32s and E-62s.

Erol Tucker - The Bayrat
    POC, TX

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Well, just thank goodness it wasn't one of those defective M-32 recievers - whew!.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.