1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another K-80 Blows Up Today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oleolliedawg, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The official word I received a few minutes ago is another K-80 had a major failure late this afternoon at the North End Gun Club in PA.

Shooter had some shrapnel wounds to his arm but will be OK. Adjacent shooter had a piece blow through his hat. Shooter was left with a stock and part of the receiver showing cocking rods exposed. Individual was shooting reloaded new style AA's which showed evidence of repeated use.

More information may follow!!

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Always with the reloads these K-8-0's blow up. HMMMMMM.............. Jeff

3. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Base wad migration for sure the one behind the gun. I wonder how guns blew up before we had AA hulls to blame. Let me get this right your saying the gun was totaly destroyed but yet the hull that caused the problem survived.

4. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Of course it is the reloader's fault! It doesn't have anything to do with the base wads of the new AA type hull. Walk around where the used wads fall at your trap club and you will find some of the base wads on the ground.

This really shouldn't have anything to do with guns blowing up...the next shot should blow the base wad out if it has been stuck in your barrel by the previous shot! Or by some people's comments on here, "the base wads don't come out of AA's...and if there are any base wads on the trap field, they have been put there by someone for some mysterious reason."

The only reason Winchester has not fixed this problem yet is first of all, it would be almost impossible to prove, and second they have not had a gun blow up by a big wig, Governor or a high society individual or part of his/her immediate family yet.

Mark Rounds

5. chromee

chromee TS Member

Chances are the AA was loaded on a P/W.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Individual was shooting reloaded new style AA's which showed evidence of repeated use."

SR1, what if those were the hulls left in the mans hull pouch? Nothing I saw said anything about the hull in the chamber was left intact? Hap

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Base wads do not travel down range. HMB

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Andy, Who was the unfortunate owner of the gun?

9. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I understand what your saying Hap it just sounded to me as though the hull in question survived thats all I was try to say no harm ment buy my comment. Reloads can cause major problems even with once fired hulls but thats why everyone that does reload should pay very close attention to what they are doing.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

251, shooter is Lou Toth. He is in the hospital looking at surgery at this moment!!

11. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I hope he is going to be ok no matter what caused the problem its just scary to hear of these thing happening maybe the reciver failed because of the cold there is alot of factors to consider.

12. darr

darr Well-Known Member

If you can double load a shell with any other powder besides titegroup itis almost impossible not to notice.I think there is some validity to the base wad problem.I have no proof but it sures makes sense.I have only one ? and that is how is the base wad exiting with all that back pressure against it?I have loaded alot of these shells and have not seen evidence that the basewad has come lose.I personally think the best thing to do is reload Remingtons.My 2 cents.

Darr

PS Hope the shooter makes a quick and full recovery.

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've personally witnessed a basewad being so jammed in a barrel that it took considerable force (and I do mean considerable) to ram it out from the muzzle end. That was the last time I ever used AA ammo and that was about 5 years ago. Scary for sure.

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Hearing about a gun blowing up is way to offen. It allmost make you want to stop reloading.
    I have a BT99 that had the forcing cones lengthened by Mag-na-port and had porting done. The gun shoots fine and patterns good even with my reloads.
    But I had trust in Pro-Port as a gun smith. Thats why I cut down all my trees so I don't have a shade-tree gunsmith growning under them.
    I hope the guy is ok. You can always buy a new gun.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

SR1, I agree with you. Anyone know how hard the barrels and receivers happen to be on a K gun compared to others? Hap

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shotgun powder will not burn fast enough to blow out a K-80 receiver, what he had was a detonation, where the pressure increases so fast. Maybe someone slipped him a ringer. I saw this years ago in So.Ill

17. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

sometimes, especially in cold weather, the primer does not ignite the powder properly and the shot charge with the wad is driven part way down the barrel by the primer, then the powder, which has been half heartedly burning takes off and that creats a detonation.

It is the same thing as trying to make a greatly reduced load in a rifle by using a half charge of slow powder such as 4831 or such.

Cold weather--primers that are not known to be hot--weak crimps--and a powder that is somewhat hard to ignite can all contribute to things like this, but it happens so seldom that you can't spot a trend---even in ballistic laboratories.

You all know that a stuck base wad, or even a stuck shotcup will cause no more than a bulged barrel and you can't put a double charge of powder in a hull without knowing it.

18. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Thank you Tron for posting your personal observation. One of the few credible comments. Have a very Merry Christmas, Bob

19. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Guys,

I shot a K80 for years before going to Kolar. The quality of a K80 is beyond reproach. They are fine guns built for years of shooting. A normal K80 has a bore size around .735, at least they did when I shot mine. I don't think that has a thing to do with it. I am betting if the entire story could be known, the base wad on the New Style AA's that has been so roundly and rightfully criticized on these threads, is the real culprit. A friend of mine was shooting a once reloaded new style AA in his Kolar one time and had the brass/hull stick in the ejector. We finally were able to free it up and found ONLY the brass cap and a small length of plastic left. The rest of the hull was up the barrel about 8-10" or so. The shell made no odd sound or felt different to him and the only reason he was compelled to check the barrel was the brass condition once it was removed from the ejector. When this happens and another round is fired, I don't believe there is a bore size or forcing cone size that will contain the pressure....It is gonna blow.

20. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I too, saw the base wad stuck in a Beretta 390. The hull was a new style AA. I will never & I repeat never use a AA again. My current gun is a break open gun & I physically extract all my spent hulls, this way I'm looking at my hulls & not being cool as they launch over my shoulder. There is no reason for any obstructioon to be in a break open,gun----glance in the barrel before loading.

Lou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

k-80 gunsmith herb stratemeyer

k-80 herb stratemeier