1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Heat Pump ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Jan 9, 2017.

1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Where I live you can only install a heat pump in a non insulated room such as a lanai or garage, that is for"humidity" control only

Lets say I get a Mitsubishi split system heat pump that can heat & control & the contractor installs a humidistat for control.

Can it be changed to heat & cool & @ what humidity setting will it cool & or heat & is it a big deal to change out the control

Phil Berkowitz

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Don't see why not.

I'd go to Mitsubishi's web site and find the model you are looking at - should be able to see manual and installation guide - that will tell.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

A lot of mini splits are getting quite complicated controls on them most use a preprogrammed board that doesn't allow a lot of modification

If you are wanting to control the humidity, just install a normal unit and use a humidistat to control the strip heat, when the humidity is high it will bring on one or two strips that will put a false cooling load on the system to get it to run longer so it will dehumidify.

But beware it will also raise the utility bill. Many moons ago I had a PITA customer that was super sensitive to humidity or at least he thought he was. He wanted me to install a high SEER system, I explained to him the high SEER systems didn't dehumidify as well as lower ones because they run the evaporator at higher pressures so it was warmer, so it didn't remove the latent heat.

He biatched so much I finally told him I could fix it with a humidistat to bring on some heat like I was describing earlier, but it would also riase the electric bill, he said he didn't care, do it. So I did, and I checked back with him a few days later, and he was a happy camper, the humidity was flat lined

About a month later I got a frantic call from him, his electric bill was $800, all of a sudden humidity was no longer a problem LOL

buck3200 thanked this.
  4. marbax

marbax Well-Known Member

Are you talking about not being able to put the condenser outside? Why wouldn't the thermostat control on the cooling side, be sufficient to reduce humidity? On the heat side, why would you want to reduce the humidity?

5. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I have 2 Mitsubishi units in my house,and they will heat,cool and dehumidify. They do the job and I was surprised that my electric bill did'nt go up that much.

6. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Heat pumps are the devil's invention existing only to cost me money.....its my only option where I live;can't get gas. They work GREAT in the summer when used to cool but freeze me to death in the winter unless I'm willing to send every power co. employee's child through medical school by having to run the auxillary heat. Propane is cheaper right now than electricity for me so I am considering getting a whole house generator run on Propane during the times when it's below 20 degrees outside but I'm not sure if I wouldn't run a generator to an early death. Even then I'm sure I'd have to replace capacitors,electrical boards ,fan motors etc on the damn heat pumps once or twice a year..

7. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

I forgot to add that my power co. is charging me out the a$$ for hooking on to a coal fired power plant they already own plus charging me to tear down an existing power plant they already own plus charging me for every two bit tax they can find plus an ENVIRONMENTAL surcharge plus God only knows what other costs they add on that nobody understands....I HATE the power co.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

If you think your electricity is high now, the generator will really kill you

But I have always thought it would be cool to have a small water cooled generator,and a hot water coil in the air handler and use the heat off the genset to heat the house and the electricity to run everything else

But it would put out more electricity than you could use, so you could sell it back to the utility company for about 10% of what they charge

9. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Or. You could add a high efficiency propane furnace to the system. I replaced a 115,000 BTU furnace several years ago with a 95% efficiency 45,000 BTU unit. Gas bills went down and comfort levels went way up.

10. SWPAShooter

SWPAShooter Member

I live in SW PA. I installed a Mitsubishi Mini Split model MSZ-FE18NA (Mr Slim) in my detached garage in the fall of 2015. I do some woodworking on the side and I wanted it for heating, cooling, and humidity control to keep the moisture content consistent in my shop. Overall I am very happy with it. It has 4 settings, Heat, Cool (AC), Dehumidify, and Fan only. Two things I did not take into consideration, before I had it installed: 1) It does not have the ability to connect to a remote thermostat. It somehow reads the temperature near the unit only. It must do an ok job, since I have it on the rear wall of a 30' deep garage, and the temperature at the front of the garage is only a degree or two off from what I have the remote set for. Still, I wish I could set it to turn on and off based on a thermostat instead. 2) When in heat mode, the lowest temperature you can set it at is 59 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't need my shop that warm, I would be happy with it only being 50 during the winter. Fortunately the garage is very well insulated, and the cost to keep it at 59 degrees is surprisingly low.

My dehumidifier mode does not allow me to set a percentage, it only has low, medium, and high modes. I use that mode only for a short time in the spring, then switch it over to Cooling mode in the warmer/dryer months.

All of the Mini-Split manuals are available on Mitsubishi's web site, and there are a ton of YouTube videos on them (that I did not look into before I bought mine). Overall I am very satisfied with my system, I just wish I could lower the minimum heat temperature.

Hope that helps.

11. marbax

marbax Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you just get a fuel oil or propane fired furnace?

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

Oil is about the highest priced heat there is, and it is nasty to work on

Seems when ever you have to work on an oil burner, it is the first call, and as soon as your hands are soot and oil covered, you get the worst itch on your face there is until you just have to scratch it, then you have a black oily face for the rest of the day LOL