1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Glock Story

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Zuzax, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

A friend sent this to me so I'm passing on the information.

“What the hell was that?!?” she said. It took me a half a second to realize that my gun had just gone off…on my hip…in its holster. My wife and I had just finished breakfast at our favorite café and got into the car.

Me being the passenger, I rotated my torso to the left to fasten my seatbelt like I always do. When I straightened again, my Glock 19 discharged, blowing a 9mm hole through my pants, underwear, the leather seat and bottom of the car’s door frame.

The bullet nicked my hip, but the wound is nothing a bandage couldn’t cover. So what went wrong? Guns never go “Bang” all by themselves.
    After ensuring I wasn’t hemorrhaging profusely and didn’t have to make a dash for the hospital, I stayed seated in the car as my wife came around to my door and opened it. I undid my belt and slid the Galco JAK202 Slide Belt Holster, with the gun still in it, off my belt. Why it went off was immediately apparent.

Accidental Discharge
    The trusty, comfortable, leather holster I had been using for a year and two weeks had done what a baseball glove does after lots of use; It got soft. This particular holster carries the pistol outside the waistband, but inside the belt. The belt slides through slots in the outer side of the holster.

The problem stemmed from the leather on the inner side of the holster getting soft. A crease formed, which eventually was large enough to extend beyond the trigger. Manipulate the gun in just the wrong manner and this crease is no different than a finger on the trigger. Boom!

I can’t say I didn’t know the crease had been formed in the holster. I trained myself to be sure that when holstering, to make sure the gun was fully in the holster, with the trigger protected. On this day, did I forget to do that when I holstered up? Did the leather finally get so soft that a combination of body movements and interference by the cushy leather seat move the Glock enough to create a situation where the trigger was engaged by the holster?

I don’t think we’ll ever know for sure, but I’ll humbly admit to the former as the likely culprit. However, if it was the latter, then those of you who use this type of holster need to be aware of its limitations and the possibility of experiencing what I did.

It might have been a very different story had the incident happened while we were dining. That bullet ricocheting off the concrete floor could have done untold damage and just as easily killed somebody. Fortunately nobody got hurt and damage to the car was minimal. It will be an interesting conversation with the insurance company to see if they’ll cover the repairs.

Lessons Learned
    Holstering your gun can be just as important as drawing it. Make sure you pay attention when doing so. If your leather is getting soft and worn, be sure that it won’t interfere with your trigger or just replace it.

The back of the slide and/or grip was being pushed downward into the leather holster…or the holster was being pushed upward with some force. My guess is the firearm was being pushed and the fold in the holster acted as a finger and depressed the Glock trigger safety.

This truly brings home the importance of taking care of your equipment and ensuring it’s in proper working order. Hopefully you can learn from my situation and prevent an accident like this from happening to you.

Editor-in-chief’s note: We’d like to thank the anonymous individual who came forward with this important information and allowed us to get it out to everyone here at ITS Tactical.

Please share this with everyone you know that carries in a leather holster!

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

This is precisely why there is a need to more safety on Glock type pistols. The XD's at least have a back strap safety, this would have prevented a discharge even if the trigger was inadvertently depressed.

3. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I know of one negligent discharge in which it is likely that a tassel from a jacket made its way into the holster and into the trigger guard, when the jacket was removed...you guessed it, one slug into the leg. I appreciate Glocks, but the lack of an appreciable safety is a significant safety risk.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If the gun was already in the holster when or how could it of accidentially discharged ..? I'm not buying it, I carry a Glock everyday and do not worry about an accidential discharge as discribed ... If you knew of a defect in the holster why did you not get another or return that one to Galco who has a reputation for customer service so they could replace it ..? The way it was described the gun would of went off when it was put in the holster if the crease was the cause ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

+1 for the 1911.

6. Slugo

Slugo Member

user error. Don't blame it on Glock. Plus there are 3-1 more Glocks on this planet than any other brand. I've been hauling one for years, but caution is the word for any weapon, loaded or unloaded...

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I can see how a softened leather holster could have caused this. A good case for the molded polymer holsters. Glad it was a learning experience and not a tragedy.

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Slugo, I'd like to see where you got those statistics.

They cannot be right.

Hauxfan!

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

WPT

I saw a picture of the holster on an email that was sent to me.

The man is STUPID. The holster leather had collapsed into the trigger guard due to age and or moisture. No one with common sense would have used it.

It confirms one benefit of using Kydex holsters for guns like the Glock/XD/Kahr.

Don

10. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Here's pic;

[​IMG]

11. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Another;

[​IMG]

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

In my last gig with law enforcement, I was required to carry a Glock 23. I learned to really like the gun but had some concerns initially with the "no saftety" syndrome. My concerns included the potential of flexible leather holsters creating a potential AD possibility. My fix was to order and use the gun in a Kydex holster. This is a hard plastic product that simply will not wear or soften with use and has a tendency to lock the gun just firmly enough to act as a retention device without having straps and snaps etc. The holster I settled on was from these folks: http://www.range5.com/ - G-Code Holsters and Accessories, Edge Works Manufacturing, Jacksonville, North Carolina, 910 455 9834. I ended up with several holsters for my bank of carry guns.

This outfit also makes Kydex holsters and can be a possible source: Blade-Tech Industries, Inc., 3060 S 96th. St., Tacoma, Wa 98409 253.581-4347 www.blade-tech.com/

All of this info is several years old and not currently verified.......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

13. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Carry one. Never had a problem. I call BS. this dumba$$ is making up a story to cover him holstering it with his finger on the trigger. You'd have to be a complete idiot to holster a gun like that. One of tge Safest guns on the planet. Only problem is the operators gotta have common sense.
    Jimmy

14. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

JimmyC

You can call BS all you want but how do you explain the AD as I described above? I have first had knowledge of the incident and I can assure you the gun was in the holster. It was a Kydex holster with a backstrap, the tassel activated the trigger and the backstrap stopped the slide from "racking" and the spent casing was still in the chamber.

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Kydex is plastic and leather is not. You have your information confused unless you are talking about a different incident.

16. shelly

shelly TS Member

Glock cheap???? I don't consider any pistol which costs $500 cheap. A Smith and Wesson Sigma, now that's cheap. It's a great buy.

17. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Browning potato. I was callin bs on the 1st incident but I'll call it on your buddy too. $100 says his finger was on the trigger not a tassel. That's a cover story to protect their job/carry permit. I don't think you can recreate that incident in a lab.
    Jimmy

18. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Btw BP. I don't think you know much bout guns based on the "lingo" you use. Like "backstrap safety" on an xd. It's a grip safety. Oh and I reread your post, try that at home w/an unloaded glock. Im so sure it won't happen I'll use a loaded one. The tassel would have to pass all the way through the trigger guard first, then depress the trigger and tge trigger safety, then pull the trigger at the right angle. It's a cover story to save face & a$$.
    Jimmy

19. shadow

shadow Active Member

The solution is 100 years old this year !!!!!!!!!

20. rustygun

rustygun Member

If Glocks are one of the "safest guns on the planet", how come there are so many AD stories around? (just askin)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.