1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

another Etiquette question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Crickets, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crickets

Crickets Member

Whats the etiquette on giving unsolicited advise while someone is shooting?

My wife just started shooting trap. She's been out 4 or 5 times 200 or 300 rounds and she's getting pretty good 18 - 21 every time. Yesterday, she shot a 20 on the 1st round with me, so she was feeling pretty good. The second round after shooting 5 straight on the 1st station, one of our squad mates decided to "give her a little advise" between stations. The advise? She didn't have to hold her shell in her hand while she waited her turn- she could put it in the chamber then close the action when it was time to shoot. Threw her game all off, and made her very angry. So much so, she's says she doesn't want to shoot there anymore. Because this isn't the 1st time someone has interrupted her shooting to give advise. All she wants to do is shoot a few rounds without someone interrupting her. To date she has not been able to shoot more than one round before someone walks up during the round to give her advise. I'm a decent shot (94+ ave), but I would never ever walk up behind another shooters wife, while she's shooting with him (or any other time) to give her unsolicited advise on how to shoot. I understand that people want to be helpful and everyone at the club seem very nice, and she appreciates the "useful" advise AFTER THE ROUND. But why do they insist on telling her what to do whiles she's shooting? Are we being over sensitive?

2. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

another Ettiqute question

Most people want to help out other shooters. The problem is most of the "advice" is either misplaced or given at the wrong time. Sometimes it's even both.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

There are different kinds of advice. Some pertains to a safety issue. That should be addressed immediately. Some pertains to a "harmony of the squad" issue, which sounds like the advice to your wife. If it was taking a long time for her to load and get ready, it might be a good idea to tell her it was acceptable to load her shell ahead of time. (This should have been covered by her husband before she started shooting :)) If that suggestion was made during a post change, I wouldn't consider that inappropriate. The only time I give technique advice during a round is when a shooter has missed all or most of everything he has shot at. What is the point of getting 25 misses? If something obviously is wrong, I will mention it during a post change. Perhaps he is waiting too long and shooting as the bird is falling. All of these things might happen during a practice round, never during a registered shoot, except a safety issue. If your wife is shooting 20s, she doesn't need any technique advice. Although, if a little well intended interaction upsets her so much that she is ready to quit shooting there, that seems a little extreme. I have always found that communication is key. I would have approached the advice giver, thanked them for their interest and asked them to wait until I am done shooting next time. Mark

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Don't shoot with strangers who are just trying to help. Most newbies on this site usually complain that the experienced shooters are "stuck up" and wont talk to them. We're damned if we help and damned if we don't.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Yes, you are being overly sensitive. The guy was just trying to be helpful.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

sew a "200 straight" patch on her vest......

That will help.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Mountain out of a mole hill. Take it as a compliment, the advice giver is trying to be macho, she is probably not bad looking. Tell her it's a hormonal thing on the males part. Everyone wants to help women and kids.

This advice should have been given after not during the round.

Don

8. open choke

open choke TS Member

People have to learn how to mind their own business sometimes.

Even if she had her shell in her hand; I can't see that holding up the squad at least she is ready to go. Now if the shooter had an empty action and an empty hand meaning the shells are still in a box/vest that will slow the squad down a little.

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I agree with most of the comments above, however I vote with your wife I don't think it's a good idea to have 2 or 3 people standing with loaded-closed actions, too much potential for an accidental discharge. It takes most trap machines 2--3 seconds to re-set more than enough time to drop in a round & close the gun. Also have noticed that some who close their guns early have a tendency to start moving while the other person is trying to take their turn, this is rude & distracting if this happens (moving- partial mounting of gun etc.) when it's my turn to shoot I stop--take my gun down--open it and start all over again they usually get the "hint". I'm out shooting for fun not to see how fast we can get through a round. SAFETY FIRST JMO --Ross Puls

10. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

She should shoot her practice rounds from the 27. People tease me unmercifully, but they no longer offer any advice. Bert

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The guy's a moron in a couple of ways.

Putting the shell in the chamber is a good idea, but suggesting a major change like that during the round is a guarantee for disaster.

Giving unsolicited advice WHILE the person is actually shooting?

Maybe the idiot is just horny. You're going to have to tell 'em to back off.
    Just another example of why, when being around guns of all sorts, I was always glad I was a guy. I feel sorry for you and your wife. Good luck.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

People will say many things to you over time while shooting, file or discard info as needed. Don't get rattled.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Some of you guys need to re-read the original post. The advice was put the shell in the chamber and close when it was her turn to shoot. It doesn't say anything about closing the action immediately.

Quote:

"she could put it in the chamber then close the action when it was time to shoot."

Just Say'n................

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

grntitan-- Your correct I did misread that part. I don't have any problem with just dropping a shell in the chamber. Ross Puls

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Advice should be saved for between rounds unless there is something going on that affects the safety of the shooter or others.

My opinion anyway.

16. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

A pre shot routine is just that and varies from shooter to shooter. There is no right or wrong so, I am with the other posts, just ignore him and continue on. Sounds like you have it all figured out. Guys can be such guys, just go home, scream at your husband a while and pretend it was the A$$ that gave you the advise. That always helps my wife over come her feelings of hate and despite. Please don't quit shooting when you get real good you will learn how to push that A$$’S buttons and you can get “evener” with him now Go Girl Break em All..

17. Crickets

Crickets Member

For the record she likes to hold the shell in her hand, then drop it in when its her turn.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Note to self;

DON'T offer any advice to the new shooters, let 'em figure it all out themselves.

John C. Saubak

Peerless, Montana

19. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You could tell her that holding the shell in her hand causes a number of issues. Are you then holding your gun with just one hand? That will get tiring in a hurry. Are you holding your gun with the same hand that you are holding the shell? That will cause you will scratch up a nice receiver or stock. Just because a beginner chooses to do something a certain way doesn't mean it's the correct way. What if she decided she wanted to pick up her hulls off of the ground after every shot? Is that OK just because? Sounds like she thinks she's an expert after 4 times. Coaching one's wife is not the easiest position to be in. Maybe some lessons from someone that could get her off to a good start with technique and etiquette. Mark

20. open choke

open choke TS Member

LOL Cowboy.....

I asked the friends that I started to make when I was learning for advice along with my stock fitter who taught me a bunch.

Also I watched DVD's from Harlan Campbell & Leo Harrison. I think they gave me a few I mean several pointers. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.