1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another empty gun death

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Just seen this morning,Berks County Gun club.A young man fooling around with what he thought was an unloaded 22 pistol.Put it to his head and pulled the trigger.You aall know the result of that.I have to admit,sometimes people get aggravated at how our members enforce safty at OGC,but,as I tell them,I'd rather they error on the side of safety,rather then see something like this happen at our club.

Doug H.

2. cnsane

cnsane Member

Hell, I'll say it: God weeds out the stupid. While it is a tragedy, this wasn't an "accident" .DMF did it to himself on purpose, in spite of everything he already knew about gun safety. Granted, he was expecting different results. At least he didn't aim it at one of his buddies while he was making his point. Hope the club don't get sued.

3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

This time, heaven forbid, I agree with csane! Tom Rhoads

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I feel for the mans family. They will suffer for his stupidity. That said, I actually believe that anybody stupid enough to put a gun to their head no matter if they believed it is empty or not deserves a dirt nap. This is NOT called an accident. This is plain and simple STUPIDITY!!

I too agree with "cnsane".

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Suicide, pure and simple. Made into an accident to save the family from embarrassment.

6. cnsane

cnsane Member

My money's still on the original "S" word. I'll bet Stupidity over Suicide. There's just a whole lot more of the former vs the latter in our Society. Learn to bet with the overwhelming odds, you two.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Just horrible and it will undoubtably get the shooting community the press we don't need.

Why is it that people can't follow the the basic premis - guns are always to be handled as if they are loaded. It isn't that difficult of a concept.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Glad it was his own head instead of someone elses ... Tragic as it is, it could of been worst ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Good Lord guys! Has anyone checked up on what happened? The report on here made it sound like it was a kid who intentionally caused the tragety. You guys made some terribly insensitive comments, and the record needs to be set straight, or at least a valid report offered.

Off to the corner with the lot of you!

From the Reading Eagle: Michael Nieves, 30, was pronounced dead at 6:35 a.m. in Reading Hospital by a doctor, officials in the Berks County coroner's office said.

According to Northern Berks Regional Police Chief Scott W. Eaken:

Nieves was on the shooting range with three other men Sunday about 5 p.m. when the shooting occurred. The other men told investigators that Nieves was handling a .22-caliber pistol when the gun discharged.

Investigators are trying to determine why the gun discharged, although it appears to be an accident.

Nieves and the other men, whose names were not released, were at the range for about an hour before Nieves was shot. They had been firing shotguns, rifles and pistols.

Northern Berks Detective Sgt. R. Brian Horner is in charge of the investigation. He was assisted by several detectives from the district attorney's Major Crimes Task Force with interviewing witnesses and gathering evidence.

The task force consists of experienced investigators from other municipal departments and county detectives. A ruling on the cause and manner of death is pending an autopsy scheduled for tonight.

10. tdhrlyrydr

tdhrlyrydr TS Member

In defense of the "lot" nbc 10 out of philly reported that he placed the gun to his head. In that case this is a trajic stupic suicidal mistake. Prayers and thoughts to the family.

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Edited out by a Moderator.

Keep this up Mr S and you'll no longer be here.

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Didn't a Sheriff, or Police officer just shoot himself out in California not long ago while he was cleaning his weapon? It may have been a returning Veteran from Iraq. Kind of makes you wonder. Jon

13. copper

copper Member

Just sad I have never done any thing with a gun like put near my head but most of us have done things that could have killed us or someone else driving 120 miles and hour down streets and loads of other stuff. Just a shame

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What the hell does a veteran have to do with this? You and ketty are a piece of work.

Bet you wouldn't tell a vet that to his face.

15. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

What a sad, dumb tragedy.

Under the heading of looking for the "good" in something, all I can think of is the poor dullard eliminated himself from the gene pool - hopefully before he reproduced.

I feel badly for his family and friends; also for the gun club where this fatal antic occurred. All so sad.

Mike

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Lack. Of. Muzzle. Control.

17. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

skeets the lying liberal racist, you are the self adoring half-wit that thinks you are never stupid, but when you type something here, you leave NO DOUBT that you are a half-wit dumb ass. Now take your NAMBLA butt back under the bridge.

By the way, where is that "Whites Only" gun club???????????????????????????????

Oscar

18. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

At the very least it was negligent. What part of point your weapon in a safe direction is so hard to understand? John

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Suicide? Maybe you should think, and get off the vendetta kick.

Turns out it was a eight year veteran of the LAPD school police, shot himself while cleaning his gun. I heard it on the news, and did not get the whole story. I just could hear parts of the story from the other room. Thus the veteran inclusion.

20. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

Treat every gun as if it was loaded, this rule can save alot of injuries and lives.

Joe McGorman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.