1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another easy meal with PICS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I buy entree's when they are cheap (er). this week it was pork loin cuts. Chops, country ribs, a loin I de-boned and tied. All at .99 a lb. Adn wrapped it in freezer paper. But made this for dinner last night. In a way it is as good as the now famous "Swiss Steak" recipe. But it is not as demanding and will suit milder preferences. But this is one of the things I make about once a month. I went to the club yesterday, shot a Jackpot round (won 3rd class with a 40), then took my bride for some popcorn and a toddy at a Twin Cities sports bar and then came home and wrapped the pork for the freezer. But decided to make this for dinner and give you a pic or two for my "PORK CHOP CASSEROLE". This one is easier than the swiss steak

[​IMG]

2 to 4 thin (3/8-1/2") loin chops, bone in, dusted in flour and lightly browned for about 2-3 min a side.

3/4 cup of 20 min rice in bottom of casserole (uncooked)

1-1/2 C of water on top of that

a bag of mixed veggies on top of that

Then the two chops (usually I get smaller ones and use 4)

[​IMG]

pour on top of that the can of soup diluted as directed

[​IMG]

Cover, into the oven at 350 for 1-1/2 hours or a bit more if you want the chops falling apart.

[​IMG]

Done and let it cool for 10 min.
    [​IMG]

cooling
    [​IMG]

plated up
    [​IMG]

The beauty of this recipe is all the variables you can personalize with. Almost any soup, but I have never tried non cream soup. Mushroom would be especially good, asparagus, and you choose the vegetable you want. Asparagus, broccoli, mixed, all work good. But the basic technique is the same. If the swiss steak was a bit harsh, this is a bit mild by comparison. But good table fare.

2. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

MIA,
    That looks good!
    Chichay

3. Scott Morris

Scott Morris TS Member

I loved the swiss steak (as did the misses). Can't wait to try this. Thank you for the great recipes.
    Scott

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I am definantly going to try this but with a couple of small Turkey breast filets,...I need to get more veges in my diet per my Dr.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Try the Swiss steak recipe with chicken it turned out even better than the swiss steak, served it over egg noodles, but potatoes or over bread would work also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We cut up steaks ( out of a round Roast) & run them through the cuber for the gun club. Yesterday I put some in a crock pot with a large can of mushroom soup and a small 12oz can of french Onion Soup, let it cook all afternoon yesterday. OMG was it great

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Very similar to one of my favorite pheasant & quail dishes. Never thought of trying it with pork chops .... thanks for the ideas, the mixed vegetables are a nice touch.

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Cubancigar...where does one find a cuber? Never heard of one myself, but it would be convenient if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg (or a whole cow).

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

MIA, Jeff Smith hasn't got anything on you. You are the only one worthy to be called the Frugal Gourmet. If you haven't tried Cream of Celery soup as the gravy type slow cooking base, give it a try on a small batch sometime. I think you'll be pleased.

Devi, just type in meat cuber on an internet search, there are several of them. It looks like they run from about $99.00 into the $600.00 range depending on what you get. I think you might be able to get a good stainless one for about $160 or so.

John E.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

recurvey - we have a very old cuber that came out of a butcher shop and I think they are very expensive but other than that I have no clue. One thing I do know is that they work well. Great for tenderizing too

11. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Huh. Here I thought Cuber was that island south of Florida. Goes to show ya...

12. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Oh, by the way, great looking dinner, MIA. Thanks for posting.

13. JRW

JRW Member

ttt

14. dhip

dhip Active Member

I sure hope you don't mind,I copy and paste all your recepies,gonna try them when I go to my cabin in W.V.,,might modify it a little and do on Grille

Doug H.

15. JACK

You know... It kinda looks like I work hard at being a home chef... But often I am in a "just get by" mode. One of my fave side dishes is "stuffed baked potatoes"

I had that last night and they are always a hit alongside a steak or lamb chops. I don't' always have my camera around the kitchen, but if anyone wants this easy and tasty recipe, holler.

16. JACK

Aprice. I bought my set 20 years ago in bits and pcs from antiques stores. Have a good set and I like classic older stuff. Hence my MX3 tht I keep in perfect condition. I am still watching for some platters, but they get expensive and and used little. I serve food as yo see above, From pan to dish to table.

Jack

Luvs2. I had to learn to cook 25 years ago when my wife fell ill. And she was good at casseroles and stuff, and I mimic-ed the stuff as best I could. But I mainly cook at the stove rather than run in and out to a grill. My now wife can't pour cereal in a bowl. So, I am the full time cook in my house and do all the cleaning too, other than vacuum. and find time to load bullets, talk to you guys,and shoot ATA. I began ATA as an outlet to keep my brain intact when my wife fell ill. The folks that knew me from So Wisconsin remember that I brought her to shoots in a wheel chair for a couple of years. About 1988-91. I recall those days well and still miss what she was to me.

17. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Jack, sorry to hear about your first wife, and hope you keep those good memories of her. Sounds like you self-taught yourself a valueable skill, plus chicks dig guys who can cook.

I didn't pay attention at first to the can of soup in the pictures, I haven't tried cream of broccoli soup as a base, but I will have to do that sometime.

Good shooting, cooking and eating to you and yours.

John E.

18. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

MIA:
    I am a class D shooter, but when it comes to eating I am AAA. I like your recipe so much I plan to try it next week. Thanks for posting it.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.