1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Another eagle picture

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Eagle watching coming to an end as the ice is about to leave the river. But this is a bird that has seemingly been around a lot. I noticed that it was banded yesterday and got a fuzzy picture. He is eating a shad just plucked off the river. The shad become oxygen depleted due to the ice cover on the river and roll along under the ice with the current until they pop out into the open water in front of my house. The eagles pluck it and return to our tree. Tallest in the neighborhood.
    mia_2008_0303761.jpg

mia_2008_0303762.jpg

mia_2008_0303763.jpg
    That bird is just 75' from our sliding glass door to the deck on our second level. They are easily spooked. I can leave the house and get into my car and they will not leave. But look up at them for more than a couple of seconds and they all fly away. But will return within minutes.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Majestic birds. Nice pics. Must be fin to watch.

I remember driving along old US 30 between North Powder and Baker (Oregon) in late Feb or early March in the early 90's and seeing bald and golden eagles sitting on fence posts. Lost count around 80. I've never seen so many eagles. The weather had warmed up so the sage rats were out early, and the eagles were making a meal of them.

I used to fish for shad. Their meat wasn't the best, but they sure put up a fight. Their mouths are paper thin, so you can't horse them in but have to play them out. And that takes a while, because instead of using a lot of muscle and energy to fight you, they turn their flat bodies sideways and let the current fight you. We did mix their roe with our scrambled eggs for breakfast.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Beautiful birds thanks for posting Jack

We don't have any Balds here but we have a bunch of Golden Eagles, they are also beautiful birds, when ever I bush hog the pastures they are right there to catch the rodents that think they are going to escape, none make it

Most of the time there are some red tail hawks then the eagles come in the hawks vacate, the hawks will jump on the rats and hold them for a few seconds the eagles just swoop in and grab them with one claw and take them to a tree and eat them

4. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Nice pics! Sad story in Cleveland Ohio is that the male of one of our local pairs was found dead and now the female is leaving the nest for food. Not sure if she, or the the young will survive. They have nested in the same spot for 4 years now.

5. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Go to Alcoa.com. They have a live feed above an eagle nest in eastern Iowa along the Mighty Mississippi.

The pair has two chicks right now. Trout in the nest! Last year they shut it down for two days because daddy brought a kitten home for momma to feed the young!!

RW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.