1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

## Another dumb blonde question about ribs ##

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Johnny C, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny C

Johnny C TS Member

Sorry about about asking dumb questions all the time, but I have another one about a custom fitted adjustable rib I have on a Beretta DT 10 that I have purchased.

The gun has an adjustable stock also which I mentioned in a previous rib. I have played around a little with the stock but not the rib.

I like the gun to shoot pretty much 100% high, but I dont like the view I have down the rib of the gun when the gun shoots this high. How do I have to set the rib up to have it shoot this high, but I want to look pretty much flat along the rib?

Do I need to have it set to its lowest setting at the front and its highest setting at the rear of the rib so it appears to slope down from back to front or is there another way?

Thanks for any advice

Karen

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

You must lower the front of the rib and raise the back, then lower the comb.

I have a Browning Citori O/U that I bought 20 years ago, I liked the gun a lot but it shot 24 inches high. I wanted it to shoot approx. 65% high. I tried everything but the only thing that worked was to sent it to Tom Wilkinson and have him install a Delron rib on top of the factory rib and then machine it for my desired POI. When I got it back from Tom I adjusted the stock for a figure 8 and shot it on the pattern board, it was perfect. The rib is higher in the front than the rear, to make it shoot lower.

I now sent the gun to Paul Hilmer ( Anton ) and had him make a new forend and stock, then I sent the barrels to Briley and had thin wall choke tubes installed. The result was a gun that I can use for anything, and after having Allem install double release triggers, I do.

My trap gun is a K-80 Trap Special, with top single. It adjusts POI just like I described in the first sentence. Over the years I have found that my sight picture is very important. My style of shooting is to mount the gun, then a one second bead check, and then focus above the barrel, never again to look at the beads, call for the target, track the targets line, shoot, and it usually breaks.

Hope this helps you.

Tom Strunk

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Karen.....you really got to stop asking all these smart questions! You said they were dumb.....wrong!

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dan, if her gun now shoots 100% high and she lowers the front bead, raises the rear of the rib, doing nothing to the comb would make her gun shoot even higher wouldn't it? How, except lowering the comb a tad, would it come back to the 100% high setting? Hap

5. Tom Strunk

Thats exactly right Hap. And as you know that Browning O/U with 32 inch barrels is a shooter.

So many people just don't get it when it comes to adjusting guns. Another trick that I have used is to move the rear bead forward or raise the rear bead ( Wilkinson made me a small step for raising the rear bead on a Perazzi combo ) this is used when the POI is correct but the sight picture is showing a lot of rib between the beads. I have tried to shoot guns with a lot of rib between the beads, and even though the POI was correct I would find myself rolling my head to try and see the sight picture I was used to during competion, result bruised face and lost targets.

Some people like to shoot off the end of their barrel and could care less if there is a lot of rib between the beads, I'm not one of them, and it appears that Karen isn't either. Either way is OK it just depends on what that person likes.

Karen is trying to get a familiar sight picture but keep the existing point of impact. She might get that, if she is lucky, by adjusting the rib and comb as I discribed. Otherwise she will need to move forward or raise the back bead, or remove the rear bead completely. I would strongly suggest to Karen that before she does anything to her gun SHE MUST TAKE THE GUN TO A PATTERN BOARD AND CHECK THE EXISTING POI BEFORE DOING ANY ADJUSTMENTS TO HER GUN. If she is happy with the POI as it is now then this is what she must adjust the rib and comb to shoot at this place again after making these adjustments. Karen, if you need to get in touch with me I'll be glad to help you, just e-mail me at bogieone@hughes.net then I'll give you my phone number and we can talk one on one.

Tom Strunk

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If it shoots where you want it to, leave the front alone and just move the back of the rib up until it looks flat. It is just that simple.

7. Tom Strunk

JBrooks --

No it's not that simple. All the guns I've seen when the rear of the rib is moved up the front moves down. I have owned two Perazzi combos, one Kreighoff KS-5 Special, and currently a Kreighoff K-80 Trap Special with adjustable top single and O/U barrels - they all adjust as I have said.

Please give an example of any shotgun that can have the back of the rib moved either up or down without moving the front of the rib. Please educate me.

Don't forget we are talking about adjustable ribs not replaceable ribs. I know about the Beretta 391's, the Benelli's, Bowen's ect. ect. with replaceable ribs. That is not what we have here, we have an adjustable rib on her gun.

Inquiring minds want to know --

Tom Strunk

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

My BT 99 Plus. Also, she said she had a custom adjustable rib. If the the rib fulcrum is between the receiver and muzzle, like a K gun, the rib will teeter totter and as the back goes up the front goes down and vice versa. If the rib hinges at either end it won't.

However, if she raises the back of the rib and lowers the comb she will just see more of the back ramp of the rib because her eye will be lower. She would need to raise the comb to establish a flat rib picture.

9. Tom Strunk

JBrooks --

As I read her post it states "Do I need to have it set at the lowest setting at the front and it's highest setting at the rear of the rib so it appears to slope down from back to front"

This means that it does "teeter totter" in the center. I stand by my statements.

Tom Strunk

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Sorry Tom but my BT99 adjusts at both ends and doesn't teeter totter. You may also want to reconsider which way the comb goes.

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Kazza........Just remember.....The only dumb question is.......er........is..! Damn, I forgot how that goes!

12. Tom Strunk

JBrooks--

Ok you have a BT-99 Plus that adjusts individually at each end, I have seen a few of these but they are not seen too often as few were made. Two guys I knew in So. Cal. had this gun and used it to shoot pot shoots. Next time I see one I'll be sure and check out the adjustment features.

I'm trying to tell you that she has a Beretta DT-10 that moves from the center as per her statement.

If all she had to do was raise the rear of the rib to get her desired sight picture she would not have to move the comb at all as she states that she likes the gun to shoot 100% high but doesn't like the view down the rib set at this hight, and would like to look down a flat rib.

What state do you live in? I would like to check the info center and see your averages. I live in Arizona, ATA#0752730, A Senior Vet, age 71, on the 27 yard line from 1980 with no reductions.

Tom Strunk

13. Johnny C

Johnny C TS Member

Thank you everyone for your input.

I know a little more about the rib now so your comments still would be appreciated.

The custom add on rib on my Beretta only adjusts up and down at the front of the rib. The rear ( ramp end )is fixed . I have tried moving my comb up really high when I have raised the front of the rib to its HIGHEST position, but when I move the comb up it becomes uncomfortable on my face. I actually seem to shoot best when I drop the stock back to its lowest position and also drop the comb to its lowest position. By doing this I am looking flat along the rib ( which now slopes down away from me ), but it seems to shoot the shot pattern high.

Is looking flat along the rib and having the shot go nearly 100% high normal? I was told that all the great shooters have much lower ( 60% to 70% high patterns )

Sorry for all the questions.

Karen

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Tom, I'm 27 shooting in AA. What part of Arizona are you in? I would really enjoy shooting with you on one of my visits. We do a lot of business in Phoenix and Tucson and we have an office in Mesa.

Was Big Jim in Bakersfield one of the BT 99 Plus guys? He is a good pot shooter and ATA competitor.

15. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Karen,

Have you taken the gun to the pattern board to verify this. This is the only way you will find out where the gun shoots.

If the gun feels good where you have the comb set and the rib height go and try a test pattern.

Here is one article on pattern testing that I copied and pasted, sure there are many more. I think this one was put on here by Pheasantmaster.

Jon, first the guy telling you the gun shot 6" high was most likely for him and that doesn't mean it will for you!Next for what it mean, if you drew a horizontal line thru the center of your pattern then 6" high would mean the lower portion of the half was 6" above your aiming point. Onward the designation 60/40, 70/30 etc is as past dew as the dram equiv. rating on a box of shells. Most folks tend to talk in these terms because 1-they really don't know how high or how high to judge their POI on a piece of paper or 2 they've heard someone else use these terms and it sounds good so I will too or they have no idea when looking at a pattern how to analize what the POI is. Furthermore there are no preset standards at how high of POI is needed for a specific yardage. It depends alot on your personnel shooting backgroun and experience you've had (ie hunting, skeet, sporting, international etc)! Shooting POI on paper is good (IMO) to do for two purposes. First to make sure left or right pattern placement and for height with regards to you already knowing what height previous gun you were using shot! This as far as vertical height doesn't guarantee it is what you needed for new purchase but rather a starting point to fine-tune new piece. The distance to do this is varied by who's telling the story. Neil Winston likes 13, others go for 16 and still others go for 20 yeards (my preference) but in so doing firing atleast 3 to 4 shots at same piece of paper to establish a relatively easy to decide core. Its really who learned or was taught by anothers preference as they are all relative if you understand what your trying to accomplish! Again the point is you understanding the procedure that you will be using. You probably wish I hadn't responded by now as your totally confused but the above is my way!

Hope this helps

Dennis

16. Tom Strunk

Do not know the name of "Big Jim" but might know the face, as you probably know a lot of the pot shooters had nicknames. The guys that I knew that shot the BT-99 Plus were Al (always had his female yellow lab with him) and Tito (used to work for Mike Raahauge pheasant hunting)

I shot a lot of pot shoots, usually with my partner Tom DeForrest, now deceased. Last pot shoot I was in my partner, (not Tom D) and I hit the jackpot at Prado for $2,500.00. I still have the gun it is a "modern 12". Wilkinson barrel and higher impacting Delrin rib by Wilkinson, Spears release trigger, Anton/Hilmer stock and forend. Gun was made in 1928. I still have some custom shells and lots of buffer.

I usually shot at Redlands and South Coast but learned how at the old Laguna Hills and Yorba Linda. At the state shoot in Kingsburg I would shoot the pot shoots once in a while but not very often as I was there to do my best on ATA targets.

I live in Payson, AZ which is at 5,000 ft. elevation, my closest major trap club is Red Mountain, about 75 miles down the hill. Very close to Mesa. I retired four years ago from Orange, CA.

I don't shoot a lot of small shoots anymore as I like the better competition of the big shoots. I just got back from the Autumn Grand and my next shoot will be the Spring Grand, then our State Shoot, then the Utah State shoot, and the the Grand at Sparta,Ill. I'll probably fill a few others between. BUT HUNTING BIRDS IS MY PASSION, I hunt from Sept. to February with a 6 lb. gun with a pull trigger and shoot trap with a 10 lb. gun with a release and the change over is not easy, especially doubles.

e-mail me at bogieone@hughes.net we will see if we can get together, alway like to meet new people.

Tom Strunk

17. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, he asks one question.

I was wondering when it would get into a pissing contest. LMFAO, I won this, ya but I won that, I won more than you did.

Hell, I hit the PA lotto "Wild Card" in 1992 for $61,621.00. I was AA 27 when I won the money. Does that count? LOL

I didn't win near that much when I got a trophy at the 1977 Grand, only around $1800.00. Didn't play everything, first year there ya know. Got a lot more than the Grand check when I killed 25 straight flyers, almost $3000.00 Only won $1000.00 when I won another the shoot with a 23.

Hit a $5 slot at Caesars for just under $4800.00 Won four boxes of Feds for shooting half the winter league last year. Got too friggin cold. Just sctatched off a $1.00 instant lotto ticket while I was sitting here. DAMN, didn't win a thing on it. Boy, I'll tell ya, I got no luck at all.

What was the question?

AJ100

18. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Kazza, you have a very good question. The problem is when you ask about adjustable ribs you get a lot of stupid answers. Here is the bottom line:

Since your rib only adjusts in the front, to get the gun to shoot as high as possible you need to move the front of the rib as far down as it will go. Then you can adjust your comb to get the site picture you want looking down the rib. If the gun still does not shoot as high as you want it to you will need to raise your comb further and either not worry about your site picture down the rib or move your center bead forward on the rib until it gives you your desired site picture.

Personally, I would just get the gun to shoot where you want it to and forget about what the beads look like but many people like to have those beads stack up in a certain way so they are sure the gun is mounted correctly.

I don't look at my beads at all. If the gun is mounted wrong, even just slightly, I can feel it on my face and shoulder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to get my bt-99 to shoot lower