1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

another computer question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tracyhunter, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

got a new dell. what is the best anti virus/malware/root kit program i can get? free or pay. tracy

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

According to, and I agree with as I sell systems with A/V software on them, Consumer's Reports rates Norton IS 2010 and 2011 as the better of them.

It is fast, does not slow down your system as Kaspersky, Trend's PC-Cillin, and others do.

I run pretty fast, well, really fast computers here at the shop. I have a post grad degree in computer technology and have taught programming classes at the SDSM&T here. I experiment constantly with A/V and & I/S software, and these are what I've hit upon in my travels.

There may be others, as the one listed above, but I've not experimented with it. I also am one to buy a pro version rather than use a free one. Security is very important to me keeping my systems running in top shape.

To me, it's kind alike the Perazzi shooter who can't decide if he sould buy a spare firing pin or hammer spring. To me it's silly to have a $15,000-$20,000 gun down for the lack of a $30 item.

Whiz

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

While I won't disagree with the above comments, you might want to look into Microsoft's own product 'Security Essentials.'

It is free, and in that it comes from Microsoft it is quickly updated. It also is very 'gentle' on robbing OS resources as it runs.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast Free (home) edition, Comodo Firewall (free) installed as a firewall only and uncheck the toolbar install options during the install process. Vipre will work as would AVG Free. I use Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials with Comodo Firewall on my personal systems. I do frequent scans with Malwarebytes Free edition and SuperAntiSpyware Portable (free). The last half dozen or so infected systems I cleaned were running Norton, McAfee, and Trend Micro. No antivirus or antimalware program is 100% perfect. Common sense goes a long way as does safe surfing and email habits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.